MembersZone Subscriber

Default Cost Benefit of New or Used Chassis for new Tanker

Submitting a tanker grant for a 08 AFG. Like many rural areas trying to retire a 32 year old homemade tanker. I have cost estimates for tankers ranging from $239,000 - $140,000 depending upon wether or not we put a new chassis or used chassis underneath a new rear (tank/pump). All quotes for these prices were a 3000 gal tank & 500 gpm pump.

Trying to decide if by putting a used chassis under our truck, looks as though we would save enough to significantly help my cost benefit. Understand I live in a rural area and based upon my population my cost-benefit scares me now that I see the numbers of others. Good thing I didn't understand those numbers last year but we did make it to the final round of DJ's for the 07 AFG so I felt like I was CLOSE. I know ignorance is bliss and close only counts in horseshoes! Last year my 07 AFG budget was $187,000. This year we are being quoted $210,000 minimum for the same truck.

Last years C B
    $187000/25yrs/1250 population = $5.98

Best Bid 08 Used Chassis C B - FYI Chassis would be 4-5 years old, 125,000 miles.
    $140000/25yrs/1250 population = $4.48

Best Bid 08 New Chassis C B
    $210000/25yrs/1250 population = $6.72

In reading all the posts we have here I feel like I'm not even in the ball park for C B. But have come close and made it to peer review. So maybe my numbers aren't out of line?

I had been told and maybe misunderstood that by going with a used chassis I would lose all my cost benefit? I feel even with a used chassis we would get 25 years of service easily. I believe we could get upto 40 years with a brand new chassis with our run numbers and annual mileage. But the application doesn't allow that many years. FYI - C B New Chassis/40 yrs = $4.20.

Just trying to cross over to the winning side for 08! Thanks in advance for your comments, questions and suggestions!

Longtime Lurker, relatively new poster,
    waverlymofire

Forum Member

Wave:

I am in New Londom Mo.

Send me an email, Maybe I can help. bjlf@sbcglobal.net

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by WaverlyMOFire View Post
    Submitting a tanker grant for a 08 AFG. Like many rural areas trying to retire a 32 year old homemade tanker. I have cost estimates for tankers ranging from $239,000 - $140,000 depending upon wether or not we put a new chassis or used chassis underneath a new rear (tank/pump). All quotes for these prices were a 3000 gal tank & 500 gpm pump.

Trying to decide if by putting a used chassis under our truck, looks as though we would save enough to significantly help my cost benefit. Understand I live in a rural area and based upon my population my cost-benefit scares me now that I see the numbers of others. Good thing I didn't understand those numbers last year but we did make it to the final round of DJ's for the 07 AFG so I felt like I was CLOSE. I know ignorance is bliss and close only counts in horseshoes! Last year my 07 AFG budget was $187,000. This year we are being quoted $210,000 minimum for the same truck.

Last years C B
    $187000/25yrs/1250 population = $5.98

Best Bid 08 Used Chassis C B - FYI Chassis would be 4-5 years old, 125,000 miles.
    $140000/25yrs/1250 population = $4.48

Best Bid 08 New Chassis C B
    $210000/25yrs/1250 population = $6.72

In reading all the posts we have here I feel like I'm not even in the ball park for C B. But have come close and made it to peer review. So maybe my numbers aren't out of line?

I had been told and maybe misunderstood that by going with a used chassis I would lose all my cost benefit? I feel even with a used chassis we would get 25 years of service easily. I believe we could get upto 40 years with a brand new chassis with our run numbers and annual mileage. But the application doesn't allow that many years. FYI - C B New Chassis/40 yrs = $4.20.

Just trying to cross over to the winning side for 08! Thanks in advance for your comments, questions and suggestions!

Longtime Lurker, relatively new poster,
    waverlymofire
    We are in the same boat as you !
    We are working on a new tanker to replace an 85 Isuzu/gmc short wheelbase,1450 gal. with a 2000 gal tanker with a 500 gpm pump for self loading and relay pumping Really need the short wheelbase for small gravel roads and tight turns.
    The cost benefit may be a little better with a used chassis under a new body. But the additional mechanical repair expense of a 125,000 mile truck where it will soon need major repair/ replacement of expensive components. Brakes , suspension parts , belts, hoses, alternators, batteries, tires, u joints, all sort of nullify that savings. Unless you can find a heavy duty chassis built for the hauling of heavy static loads, used at a good price.
    There are tankers available out there that can put you in the competitive cost benefit ratios.

We are looking in the range of 145-190k with some very nicely engineered and built new trucks from some of the smaller builders.
    you can do a google on tankers and find a lot of builders other than the "big" boys that can build you a good working tanker that will meet your needs with some pretty nice quality and workmanship.
    If you were a late DJ, then you are close. Cut back the budget $$ a little bit and fine tune your narrative presentation just a bit . Then cross your figures a little and wait for the best news. Make sure the 3 reviewers understand your needs and how you plan to correct the problem, without putting them to sleep.
    We're still trying to figure out how to get our application past the dreaded
    computer D.J.
    Good luck

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the ideas, island! I have seen some of the smaller manufacturers and intend on considering them too! Hard for me to pass on the big manufactuers but sure looks like there is some good quality in the smaller companies too!

I will definitely cross those figures (fingers) too! I'm gonna find a rabbits foot a penny in my shoe and every other good luck charm there is!

Waverly

MembersZone Subscriber

Try 4 Guys fire they've been around for around 30 years, alot of companies in my area run there rigs and I've heard very little negative from all of them. I know when we speced a rescue/engine with them back in 01 they were in the 230 range, when the big names were all over 300 except one it was like 293 for the same truck. We ended up getting a eone demo engine and putting our rescue tools on it, and we have regreted it since.

www.4guysfire.com

Forum Member

Your welcome Waverly:
    There are many smaller builders that produce them
    Check out fouts bros. down in Georgia , southern tanker, Gowens Knight in Conn. seems to me there is a tanker builder in the St. Louis area can't think of their name off the top of my brain. Are you looking for commercial, 2dr or 4 door? Our neighbors built a 2k gal poly body wetside with a 500 pump on a new international 2 dr. for around 135k 2 years ago,which would put it in the 155k range todays $$$ with new emissions chassis.
    Last edited by islandfire03; 03-22-2008 at 07:25 PM. Reason: brain cramp :-]

MembersZone Subscriber

Toyne, Alexis and US Tanker are worth a look too. Tankers seem a bit like brush trucks--the companies that do them as "bread and butter" are tough to beat for price and quality.

earl

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Thanks all!

While I have heard of most of the manufacturers suggested, there are one or two new ones worth looking into. Thanks for the suggestions!

In my original post I was trying to find the words for describing what I believe I was being priced. Having worked on the application now I find that the correct description to be refurbished (To current regulatory? standards) is the definition that best describes what I called a used chassis with a new tank/pump.

So is there any advantage/disadvantage to purchasing a refurbished vehicle in terms of grant scoring? Obviously the purchase price is significantly less which should help with scoring.

Thanks again to all that have responded!
    Waverly

Thread Information