Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Red face Gear Prices ????

Our dept is going to go for new fire gear with our 08 AFG, we got quotes back for Globe G-Xtreme gear and the prices seemed high although its been a few years since we have gotten gear. Can you guys tell me what your getting for coat and pants prices (please tell me the prices separately)? Does anyone recall what the price cap is for gear? Thanks

$900 for Coats and $700 for Pants in most cases.

Forum Member

For Globe Xtreme, we have been paying around $1800.

Morning Pride just landed a contract with a City about 75 miles away. We can piggyback on their specs for about $1250 Coat and Pants.

MembersZone Subscriber

I believe the price cap for gear was $2200, companies around us were asking for $2500 and were being asked to take a reduction down to $2200 last year. We went with basic globe prices and were able to quote for new everything that way including leather boots, I was able to bring my sets in at less than $1600. See my price list below:

Coat: $500
    Pants: $500
    Helmet: $120
    Gloves: $35
    Hood: $35
    Boots: $290

This is coming from a dealer in our area for 8 sets of TOG.

Forum Member

In 2006 AFG grant, we were asking for 2500 and took a reduction to 2350. Morning Pride came in with a middle of the road bid but seemed to us as the more quality gear. This gear was for a volunteer dept. I work for a career dept and just used their specs. I can tell u they spent somewhere around 6 months in just evaluating all the possible gear on the market. They did alot of research to find the best possible gear out there. And no im not a Morning Pride dealer.

MembersZone Subscriber

Just finishing up an 07 AFG for gear. We looked at all brands and decided to go with Janesville V-Force in advance. Had the best TPP and THL for around $1500 for coat and pants.

Forum Member

Janesville Fusion w/Iso-Dri $750 Coat, $750 Pants. We currently use Globe, but we switched to Janesville after comparing the quality and fit of Janesville. Globe G-Xtreme PBI Matrix quoted $897 Coat, $653 Pants. We put in for $1985 per set complete with helmets, boots, hoods and gloves, no reduction.

Rich

MembersZone Subscriber

Of course Globe and MP are more expensive. Who do you think pays for their multimillion $ marketing/advertising programs? All the grear manufacturers use the same materials from the same looms. After that its just minor differences in cutting and sewing (and a large dose of sales BS) between major brands.

Some see value in the bragging rights of paying more than the guy down the road. And its not real money if it come from the feds so who cares. On the other hand could spend some of the same $ for tools/accessories to assist the FF (Helmet/coat light, wildland jacket, roll of webbing, Resqurench, etc). Or upgrade material vs buying the name in the pretty magazine ad.

MP does have a very very useful gear reference. Just ignore the locker room bragging and concentrate on the tech info (I'm not sure but I think they must have invented and patented cutting and sewing of cloth).

MembersZone Subscriber

Does anyone use Securitex? Currently our department is using Morning Pride - which I really like. We may be switching to Securitex so I need to know more about it.

Yuck - I'm not usually one to come here and preach to anyone about specific brands, but I will warn against a product we felt was a waste of a large portion of our funds several years ago. We bought probably 10 sets over a span of about 5 years. (Usually could afford 2 sets per year in PPE)

There was an article about a lawsuit over Securitex and I found a few threads here discussing that brand of gear. Have a look around for yourself to make the best determination for your department's needs.

http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=18013

http://departments.firehouse.com/web...ersey/46$41996

Default Securitex

Let's get something staight from the get go. Securitex is a BRAND name such as Globe or MorningPride. Some have mentioned that the Securitex gear did not hold up well as compared to other manufactures. My question is what fabric was your Securitex gear made of? Was it comparable to another manufacuters? Are you comparing the same fabrics, weight, cut, and so on?Our department uses Securitex 2F3 Ultramotion gear. We love it. Matter of fact there are six departments in the immediate area that have gone to or have been using the 2F3 fabric. We researched many brands, styles, and types of outer fabric, vapor barriers, and thermal liners. There are some very good systems out there. To say one is better than the other is misrepresenting the products as they all have limitations and value to the user depanding upon their needs.
    We chose the 2F3 due to UV stabilty, wear, fit, comfort, water retention (or lack of) life expectancy and other reasons. Between the six departments we had a large buying group of about 400 sets so we got a great price. So for us it works well, for another it may not suit their needs based on their usage.
    There is not one "Wonder" set of turnouts that will be the lightest, coolest, toughest, most comfortable an so on. The end users has to make compromises somewhere along hte line. Maybe you will give up THL for TPP or comfort for durability.
    Don't be so quick to bash a BRAND until you can honestly say that you have done a one to one comparision of each part of the gear.

Thread Information