MembersZone Subscriber

Default NJ Paramedic Question

Does anyone know how you would go about getting certified as a medic from an RN? Looked on the NJ OEMS website and couldnt really find anything and I know where I work RNs ride the medic truck all the time. Just need some general info on how you would go about it.

Forum Member

Try the Directory of Universal Medical Bureau Association Service Specialization.

makes good girls go bad

Challenge the MICP test.
    IIRC, you would have to work in a system for 6 months with a provisional license, before you could get your "real" one.
    You would need ACLS, PALS, AMLS (if they require it) ATLS, etc. Contact your local MICU program.
    http://www.state.nj.us/health/ems/miculist.shtml
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Good thing's happening

Quote Originally Posted by BLSboy View Post
    Challenge the MICP test.
    IIRC, you would have to work in a system for 6 months with a provisional license, before you could get your "real" one.
    You would need ACLS, PALS, AMLS (if they require it) ATLS, etc. Contact your local MICU program.
    http://www.state.nj.us/health/ems/miculist.shtml

I have a question what if you were a firefighter that became a RN or a RN that becomes a firefighter would you still have to go to paramedic school to get your cert ?

sorry to hijack but just wanting to know
    rob

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by eaglesrule1024 View Post
    I have a question what if you were a firefighter that became a RN or a RN that becomes a firefighter would you still have to go to paramedic school to get your cert ?

rob
    My wife is an RN who spent over 20 years in the ED and also spent about 10 years as an MIC RN. Unless they have changed things, you do not have to go to Medic school or challenge the exam. She took the EMT course and had to get certified in the things she is not permitted to do in the hospital, such as intubations and such. She also, obviously had to take ACLS and PALS. She was certified as an MICN and was permitted to do everything the MICP was allowed to do, including collecting MICP pay which was, at the time, about 1/2 what she was making in the ED.

She hasn't functioned as an MICN in several years, so things may have changed. I can also tell you that many medic programs will not hire MICN's.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

makes good girls go bad

Quote Originally Posted by eaglesrule1024 View Post

rob
    Nope. As far as I know, (which I cold be wrong, it has happened before) as long as you are an RN with the appropriate certs, you could become an MICP. Being a FF would have no bearing on it, since FD has nothing to do with ALS........

yet.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

makes good girls go bad

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    My wife is an RN who spent over 20 years in the ED and also spent about 10 years as an MIC RN. Unless they have changed things, you do not have to go to Medic school or challenge the exam. She took the EMT course and had to get certified in the things she is not permitted to do in the hospital, such as intubations and such. She also, obviously had to take ACLS and PALS. She was certified as an MICN and was permitted to do everything the MICP was allowed to do, including collecting MICP pay which was, at the time, about 1/2 what she was making in the ED.

She hasn't functioned as an MICN in several years, so things may have changed. I can also tell you that many medic programs will not hire MICN's.
    George, you are right. Kind of. Did she work for a Medic program, or a private ambulance company? There are private EMS agencies that run Critical Care Teams, that consist of a RN/EMT and another EMT, or an RN and 2 EMTs.
    There are also MICU programs that run an MICN who is also an MICP/MICP CCT ambulance that doubles as an MICU when all the frontline MICUs are out (Namely Atlantiscare's Medic 1, 2, and 3)

But things could be different up in North Jersey. I mean, they should be a different state.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BLSboy View Post
    George, you are right. Kind of. Did she work for a Medic program, or a private ambulance company? There are private EMS agencies that run Critical Care Teams, that consist of a RN/EMT and another EMT, or an RN and 2 EMTs.
    There are also MICU programs that run an MICN who is also an MICP/MICP CCT ambulance that doubles as an MICU when all the frontline MICUs are out (Namely Atlantiscare's Medic 1, 2, and 3)

But things could be different up in North Jersey. I mean, they should be a different state.
    She worked MIC 11 out of Morristown and MIC 51 out of Dover. She wouldn't be caught dead working a scab bus.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post

I also looked into working as an MICN, but the pay was rotten.

Things are starting to change as the hospital systems are starting to branch out into BLS and Aeromedical. There are going to be supervisory positions and more of a career ladder for these folks.

Until then, find a nice per diem RN job and make some serious coin.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Thread Information