Forum Member

Default Looking for a job?

With turnover rates high, Marion County Fire Rescue continues to look for recruits
    Star-Banner, 3/22/2008
    View article on Star-Banner

OCALA - Three hundred applied, 33 were accepted and 25 graduated from the rigorous training. Twenty-two are now stationed in area firehouses, representing Marion County Fire Rescue's response to an ongoing personnel problem.
    Training costs due to frequent employee turnover led Marion County Fire Rescue to launch a new recruiting program in February 2007. For the first time, the agency would hire people not already certified as firefighters and paramedics. They would seek out highly motivated local people who had the desire, but not the means to pay for training required for the profession.'We believed hiring people with ties to the community would significantly enhance the probability they would remain in the area,' said Heather Danenhower, the agency's public information officer.

There are apparently more than community ties keeping the newest hires in the firehouse.

Firefighter/EMT David Thomas, who was 19 when accepted into the program, uses only the word 'career' in speaking of his new vocation. Although he has five years to complete the required paramedic training, he has already begun the advanced courses.'I intend to be here for all of my working life. I can't see anything else that would bring me the personal pleasure, along with the potential for a good standard of living,' he said.He credits his uncle, Kenneth Thomas, a local firefighter, with inspiring him to pursue his occupation.'We had talked many times about the job and he gave me good insight. One of my proudest moments was when he pinned my badge on at our (firefighting academy) graduation,' Thomas said.NOT YOUR AVERAGE JOB

For Firefighter/EMT David Grimes, at age 40 the oldest member of the class, the opportunity to serve in the public sector proved to be more rewarding than he envisioned.'My Dad was in law enforcement and encouraged me to work in public safety. I pursued different interests, but this is the most satisfying,' he said.Grimes doesn't view his age as an obstacle in a job that is physically demanding and often performed in dangerous environments.'I have kept myself in very good shape. I am confident that I can hold my own in the physical aspects of the job,' he said.Grimes describes himself as 'humble and grateful to be learning from others. I have absolutely no problem accepting the knowledge and experience of anyone in this field. Age is not a factor.'The 24-hours-on-and-48-off schedule is different from the prior work schedules of most of the men. Firefighter/EMT Freddy Martinez cited the schedule as a benefit.'It is really awesome. I have a side business. I can work on my days off, and still spend quality time with my family,' he said.Martinez has found a role model in co-worker Lt. Shawn Beam.'He's been doing this for 18 years and is very knowledgeable. I look forward to being like him one day,' Martinez said.All firefighters speak of their peers as being family, but for Firefighter/EMT Nick Ghigliotty, the occupation ran in his blood. He is stationed at the same Belleview station where his father worked.

The diversity of the job holds strong appeal for Ghigliotty. 'There's never a dull moment; we run 10 to 20 calls a day,' he said.NEVER A DULL MOMENT

Excitement and the opportunity to help others are often the perks that attract people into firefighting and emergency medical services. Thomas, Grimes, Martinez and Ghigliotty each can define the one call that outranks others in fulfilling their desire for reward and excitement.

Often, the excitement was the satisfaction of seeing themselves put to the test in real-time, real-life emergencies and performing as team members.

Being nozzle (front) man on the fire hose as he and his lieutenant entered a blazing structure ranks high with Thomas.'It felt good to know I could follow the commands and fight the fire just like I was trained to do,' he said.Assisting in the care of and stabilization of a critically injured patient stays with Martinez.'She had to be flown from the crash scene. To learn she survived feels good,' he said.'The importance of what we do really hit home,' said Grimes about the time he first participated in treating a full-blown cardiac arrest. 'It is truly a life-or-death situation.'The satisfaction of tracking down a fire's origin in a mobile home gave Ghigliotty a personal high point.'It was so smoky and dark in there that we had to use a thermal imaging camera. It was very rewarding to assist in extinguishing my first fire on the job,' he said.Firefighters have their own communications language. If asked for a status report, it appears this group is 10-4, 10-6 - safe and busy on the job. TO LEARN MORE Visit http://www.marioncountyfl.org/FR526/...myPrograms.htm DISCUSS THIS ARTICLE on this topic. [Go Back] Local News Coverage on SBTV This player is used to display SBTV videos on articles without an attached video http://link.brightcove.com/services/...nnel=294380105
    If your going to cry about doing the job you signed up for do us all a favor and quit, there are plenty of dedicated people standing in line for the best job in the world.

Firefighter/Paramedic

MembersZone Subscriber

Althouth the cost of living in the Ocala area isn't that high, it still hard to live off of 10-12 bucks an hour.

Forum Member

Yeah, but starting a rewarding career plus decent benefits that beats many jobs in the private sector may out way the pay by starting out as a probie.
    If I'm hired somewhere in Florida, I will still get a second job for extra income.

Forum Member

the are guys who have been here for 7 or 8 years making 12-13 bucks an hour. new guys are making almost as much, the same, or even more than some guys who have been here a few years.
    Last edited by 2tonegator; 03-23-2008 at 11:36 PM.

Forum Member

Sorry guys, didn't realize it was that bad. I get news updates from around the state, from I guess the FPF through our local, and they have hirings here and there. Thought it may help some of you looking for a job. I'll post more when I see them. Take care.
    If your going to cry about doing the job you signed up for do us all a favor and quit, there are plenty of dedicated people standing in line for the best job in the world.

Firefighter/Paramedic

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by 2tonegator View Post
    the are guys who have been here for 7 or 8 years making 12-13 bucks an hour. new guys are making almost as much, the same, or even more than some guys who have been here a few years.

thats pretty screwed up.

don't let any of those new guys forget how lucky they are.

Dell i understand where your coming from i'm at the point myself where im looking to move outta state just to get a job, but yah it defintly ain't easy but there is nothing in this world i'd rather do.

just pointing out the obvious in that article about high turnover rates and low pay, might have something to do about it.

MembersZone Subscriber

I dont know what to tell you guy's. The city of Tampa will start 10 new guys on the 31st of March. We just held panel interviews for over 70 people and you would not believe how many did not show up in a full suit. Some guys came in with just Docker style pants a shirt and tie. Let me tell you something Dress For Success. I just could not believe it. When I was going for this job I spent $400.00 for a suit that I have worn once. Granted I had to save but hey I got the call so I guess it was worth every penny.

Forum Member

the county administrators and the chiefs don't like to believe it. but a lot of the turn over is due to low pay. the problem is, when people move on and do an exit interview they don't tell the truth. they just say they want to be close to their families or something like that. if they would be honest the majority are leaving due to the low pay, maybe the higher ups would try to change the status quo. despite that it is still not a bad department to work for.

with us now taking over the ambulance service. we will be adding another couple hundred jobs. some from the ambulance service, but we will also need outside people coming in. so keep in eye out if you are looking for a job.

Patch Medic- Do you work for tampa?

Thread Information