Forum Member

Default Smeal Introduces New Tiller

Smeal has added a Tillered Aerial to their product lineup.

I think this is an awesome addition to their lineup, and opens them to many new markets! It will be unveiled at FDIC!!

http://smeal.com/apparatus.asp?apparatusid=33

Special thanks to my friend IzzyEng4 at EMTBravo.net for the heads up!

Forum Member

Hehe,unveiled at FDIC.By the time that rig gets there the other one will be in service in Riverside Ca.If you're into tillers,these are sweet ride.A bunch of storage space and a nice selection of ground ladders.We gave them a good look over Saturday while we were at the plant. T.C.

Forum Member

I saw a link to the riverside tiller in another thread on here and was very impressed with what I saw.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

Default What Took So Long

Crimson, who are one of newest in th industry who build the nicest ladder with the most capabilities have been building these and delivering alot since last spring,

Dallas 2
    Anahiem 4
    Seatle 2
    San Jose

And a few others, Crimson/ Spartan have great package for their Tiller units, most likley alot may copy it, see attached pictures
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Forum Member

I saw the San Jose truck in production, but not the finished product.

Crimson does indeed have a very nice aerial line, and the other manufacturers have definitely noticed their intent to focus on that market.

The competition among aerial builders is probably as fierce as its ever been. the competition will be good for the fire service with improvements in design and features.

The increased competition will help keep keep prices in check; as strange as this may sound with many aerials cost near $1 million.

There are only a few manufacturers whose concentration is on aerials, and I don't think many will argue that Smeal is one of those along with Sutphen. If you look at Crimsons Home page (www.crimson-fire.com), I think you'll see their commitment to aerials as well.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DRAFTMASTER30 View Post
    Crimson, who are one of newest in th industry who build the nicest ladder with the most capabilities have been building these and delivering alot since last spring,

Dallas 2
    Anahiem 4
    Seatle 2
    San Jose

And a few others, Crimson/ Spartan have great package for their Tiller units, most likley alot may copy it, see attached pictures
    Do these come with cracks in the torque box too? or are they optional?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GFDeng9 View Post
    Do these come with cracks in the torque box too? or are they optional?
    GFD,

Your cumulative posts on the forums suggest that are pro-Smeal and anti-Crimson. Other readers might not realize this tendency, so I am providing a link to provide further information on the issue you raised so they might develop their own objective opinion on the matter:

http://www.crimson-fire.com/crimson/....asp?NewsID=58

Forum Member

Default Nice trucks

Nice reply Command6. I had the opportunity to look over both of these trucks at the San Diego Fire House Expo. Great looking rigs. I was most impressed with Crimson's design features. Since i work in Riverside County i can tell you that Riverside County Fire is excited about their new Smeal Tillers. If you dont know this, Riverside County Fire/Cal Fire has really put Smeal on the map out here on the west coast. The engines that Smeal is building for them are very innovative with a lot of thought put into the Spec. From what i know they have been happy with them after the few bugs have been worked out and went to Cat motors.

Forum Member

I was wondering how long it was going to be before that one poked it's ugly head back up.Not long! T.C.

Forum Member

Yep. Kinda reminds me of the old saying: "A man can build ten thousand bridges and never become famous; but let one of them fail and suddenly he becomes infamous."

I guess there's no point in mentioning that at least the company was forthcoming and publicly acknowledged the issue.

They could've bought back the truck, repaired it and sold it to to an unknowing buyer like a competitor did.

As I've said before, every truck builder will have issues with their products, because they are man-made and therefore imperfect. The thing that counts most is how they handle the issues.

Now back on topic. It's nice to see a a revival in tillers; and it's smart of Smeal to expand their product in the area of stick ladders where where they already have a strong presence.

Forum Member

Hey TC thanks for the help this AM. Much appreciated

Forum Member

Default Nice looking

I had a chance to look at both the Crimson and Smeal's new tiller at Fire Expo in San Diego. I would have to say Crimson is building some pretty innovative stuff. I know Riverside County Fire is pretty excited about Smeal building their Tillers now instead of the the former builder. Dont know how much you guys know about Riverside County Fire/Cal Fire, but they have pretty much put Smeal on the map out here in California. Smeal is building a pretty innovative Pumper for them that has a lot thougth put into the spec.

Forum Member

The tiller is not really something new to Smeal, we did build some many years back.

The main difference now, is that this TDA (Tractor Drawn Aerial) has the input from many departments. Our engineering staff went out and reviewed the good and the ugly of what the competition had to offer. We listened to the customers that operate TDA's and it took a couple of years to develop this product before it could be released.

I think to truly understand what we do and how we do it, you need to stop by and look at the product. We will be more than happy to show you the truck.

It isn't just the aerial that makes a great TDA, the body and all the other components have a tremendous impact on the final outcome. I personnally think we did a fine job designing this unit not only for functionality and quality, but for longevity. Come check it out.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Command6 View Post
    GFD,

Your cumulative posts on the forums suggest that are pro-Smeal and anti-Crimson. Other readers might not realize this tendency, so I am providing a link to provide further information on the issue you raised so they might develop their own objective opinion on the matter:

http://www.crimson-fire.com/crimson/....asp?NewsID=58
    6, I just put the facts up. For those that don't remember one department had 5 units with this crack.

Lets not forget we have never heard what happened to the Wheaton IL unit that has disapaired from the earth.

I am just posting the facts. No rumors.

As I stated in one of my 1st post I was a Crimson Fan, and for that matter still like there pumpers.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DRAFTMASTER30 View Post

Dallas 2
    Anahiem 4
    Seatle 2
    San Jose

nice pictures!

Forum Member

Just Say NO to Crack!!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GFDeng9 View Post
    6, I just put the facts up. For those that don't remember one department had 5 units with this crack.

Lets not forget we have never heard what happened to the Wheaton IL unit that has disapaired from the earth.

I am just posting the facts. No rumors.

As I stated in one of my 1st post I was a Crimson Fan, and for that matter still like there pumpers.
    So can you tell me which dept. had 5 units with the same crack ?

And Wheaton IL. must not be a big deal if no one can nasty stuff on it.

And im just posting ?s

And yes i m a CRIMSOM FIRE fan. And yes are new CRIMSON FIRE 100' platform will be in service April 18 2008 and yes im looking forward to it.
    And yes pictures of the platform will be coming soon to a forum near you.

And im sorry i know this is about SMEALS new tiller and it looks like a great one to.
    Last edited by firecaptleal; 04-03-2008 at 06:34 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firecaptleal View Post

And im just posting ?s

And yes i m a CRIMSOM FIRE fan. And yes are new CRIMSON FIRE 100' platform will be in service April 18 2008 and yes im looking forward to it.

And im sorry i know this is about SMEALS new tiller and it looks like a great one to.
    Answers to your questions as I know them:

1. Arlington Tx. This is why they just purchased 2 Smeal aerials.

2. Court order will not allow the department to speak.

I am a fan of a good fire truck no brand loyalty.

I wish you luck. I would love to see the photos.

Forum Member

...new CRIMSON FIRE 100' platform will be in service April 18 2008 and yes im looking forward to it.
    Capt. Leal,

I have some production photos of your platform. If you will PM me, I'll make arrangements to send them to you.

Forum Member

Default Very Nice

I had a chance to look at the new Smeal tiller at the San Diego Fire House Expo. They look very nice and well built. I can tell you guys that Riverside County Fire who is getting the first Smeal tillers, is excited to be getting them. They are on their way of becoming a Smeal exclusive department. Smeal builds a very unique pumper for them due to the departments geographics. There was a lot of thought put into the Spec to get what Riverside County wanted. The pumpers alone really put Smeal on the map out here in California.

Forum Member

Default pics.

Capt. Leal,

I have some production photos of your platform. If you will PM me, I'll make arrangements to send them to you.
    My e-mail is firecaptleal@yahoo.com

Forum Member

And im just posting ?s

I was told the Wheaton aerial got returned and the department is obligated to not say a word as to why.

Forum Member

Ah yes the evil Wheaton issue rears its ugly head once again.

While I'm not under any gag order, I will not reveal what I know of the incident out of professional courtesy. But I will say that after a thorough investigation, our truck committee found no reason to disqualify the manufacturer from consideration.

I always remind myself that there are always at least two sides to every story.

Forum Member

Ah yes the evil Wheaton issue rears its ugly head once again.

While I'm not under any gag order, I will not reveal what I know of the incident out of professional courtesy. But I will say that after a thorough investigation, our truck committee found no reason to disqualify the manufacturer from consideration.

I always remind myself that there are always at least two sides to every story.
    This makes it sound like "user error." Where they jumping curbs with their aerial?

Forum Member

When two people know something, it's no longer a secret.............

Thread Information