Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by WFDFire2156 View Post
    Who ever said my question about the largest fire departments was for homework? It was out of plain curiosity. Then I get bashed for not knowing how to spell and that I need to look on google. Well if google is so important why do we have this site. I asked on here becuase I felt that I would get a comfortable and strait answer which google does not always do when you are looking for more specific info. Again In all my posts I am just trying to get my point across I am not trying to afend or upset anyone or try to stir up bad blood which is cleary taking place. I apoligized already for my rude remarks and I would like to apoligze again, you can take it for what it's worth. I do try to study the facts and with the numbers I have presented about the FDNY, Chicago, LAFD (and any other dept for the matter)I feel comfortable that my facts are along the lines for the most part (correct) . I have been around the fire service my whole life and most of the time i feel I know what I am talking about but i do enjoy getting corrected if I am wrong, thats the great thing about the fire service If you are incorrect on something other members can correct you and you can learn, and grow and then pass your knowleage onto other future members. Thanks for you time and again sorry for any disrespect or hurt feelings.

>sigh<

....children....... (shakes head).....
    Be safe y'all!
    IACOJ Animal Control
    Ladder 8
    "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"

Forum Member

Getting back to the original question:

Many keep forgetting the southern most northern state. Miami Dade has something like 76 stations and Jacksonville has I think 56. Alot fo 20-30 station departments because there are alot of county based departments.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Do you know what the Philadelphia Fire Department officially classifies as a "worker?" Any service with an inch and three quarter handline that last longer than 30 minutes. That includes car fires, rubbish fires, and dwellings, vacant or not. Personally, I think vacants should count as trash/rubbish fires.
    Wow!!!

I cant wait to tell the fellas at work that we have 300 or so workers a year! Thats great news! Thanks! Man, if only we could get a few more autos we could be Kentland!
    Just another one of the 99%ers looking up.

Ok, I'm just gonna put in my 2 cents. It was said that coverage counts....San Bernardino County Fire covers over 20,160 square miles. NYFD covers 311 (roughly). However, we only have 684 Fire Suppression Personel (this does not include H.R., Maint., Warehouse, etc). We have a total of 488 pieces of equipment. And we cover 53 cities and communities (this does not include mutual or automatic aide coverage). We have somewhere close to 100 stations.

I know we are not the largest but we do cover the most.

Just FYI!

Quote Originally Posted by medic563 View Post
    Getting back to the original question:

Many keep forgetting the southern most northern state. Miami Dade has something like 76 stations and Jacksonville has I think 56. Alot fo 20-30 station departments because there are alot of county based departments.
    Hey, You stole my cliche!

Quote Originally Posted by FDAIC485 View Post
    No love for the brothers and sisters in the southern-most northern state? Miami-Dade Fire Rescue They get some work.

If ya'll ever had a class taught by Capt Bill Gustin. This is his house. The Deuce
    Regardless, I think a lot of the brothers and sisters in these-thar forums would be quite impressed in the amount of work Miami-Dade gets.
    I believe them bones are me. Some say we are born into the grave. I feel so alone, gonna end up a big ol' pile a them bones

-J. Cantrell

Forum Member

Sorry, missed that one.

Quote Originally Posted by PFDTruck18 View Post
    Wow!!!

I cant wait to tell the fellas at work that we have 300 or so workers a year! Thats great news! Thanks! Man, if only we could get a few more autos we could be Kentland!
    T18 if I am wrong, by all means, correct me.....But if the wonder chiefs down at 3rd & SG are still using Ace Malia's list as "the official" list, this is what he counts as a worker, correct? Or have things changed???????
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Quote Originally Posted by johnny46 View Post
    And here is one such example.
    Because FFforums has set their size limit too ****ing small, I have to post a link instead of the picture itself, which would be funnier.
    http://www.youloveben.com/Thumbnails/Humongous.png
    http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...max/madmax.jpg
    Thanks Johnny - I like that one! But it's a little inaccurate, I know that area and those guys would be members of the NSW RFS (see below for transaltion). Out there, it gets so hot that they have rock fires, not grass fires!

NSW RFS? New South Wales Rural Fire Service. And now I'll run for cover before one of them reads this and comes after me...

PS. WFDFire2156. Asking questions to find out stuff is great. Being shown to be wrong is also good in my book, it happens to me and I learn. But please, think carefully about your question, word it unambiguously, write clearly and then post. When people come back with answers/comments, if they offer a different view to your own by all means disagree, but without attacking and insulting them and their service. Life will be sweeter. You've apologised twice now, so no need to again. Lastly, whose is bigger? Does it really matter? Really?

Now I'll post a correction to an earlier post of mine - compared to US fire services, we're not quite 'all risk' in my service. Ambulance services are provided State wide by another government body.
    "Professional" means your attitude to the job...

Nullus Anxietas ..... (T Pratchett)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    T18 if I am wrong, by all means, correct me.....But if the wonder chiefs down at 3rd & SG are still using Ace Malia's list as "the official" list, this is what he counts as a worker, correct? Or have things changed???????
    Ace hasnt kept track in a few years. And, NO, our administration has NEVER used his list as "official". A few years back a reporter tried to use the list against the union basically saying one engine only had a hand full of fires all year and represent that they were the only runs that company responded to over the course of the year. This reporter failed to mention all the alarm systems, investigations, rubbish fires, medical emergencies etc that the company responded to. This was one of the down falls of the Ace's friendly competitive list. His list was never truely accurate as companies tended to pad their numbers to try and achieve the top spot. Those numbers also never included autos or rubbish. They were limited to 1 3/4" service lasting greater than 30 mins in a dwelling/building etc.

For more accurate numbers the FMO compiles stats directly from the fire reports generated for every response as well as year end surveys of the company captains.
    Just another one of the 99%ers looking up.

Thank you sir, I stand corrected. I do remember something about that news report......And I also remember something about "The Hat" using Ace's numbers as his official numbers, but in what context I can not recall clearly. You guys stay safe.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by NCalElias View Post
    Jealousy anyone?

CAL-FIRE fought about 51,000 fires in 2006 (8250 wildland and 6000 structure), with a total call volume of 340,000 calls. They employ 4700 permanent firefighters and 2200 seasonal firefighters as well as 5600 volunteers and 4300 inmates. CAL-FIRE operates 228 stations, and staffs another 575 owned by local governments. This is clearly one of the largest departments in the nation, running an array of calls that is about as varied as it can get, regularly fighting fires with hundreds or even thousands of firefighters.

Below is from the CAL-FIRE website. Your numbers are a little off.

The California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (CAL FIRE) is a statewide organization comprised of over 3,800 permanent and 1400 seasonal employees. The mission of the Department is to protect the people of California from fires, respond to emergencies, and protect and enhance forest, range, and watershed values providing social, economic, and environmental benefits to rural and urban citizens.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by firemunky View Post

The California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (CAL FIRE) is a statewide organization comprised of over 3,800 permanent and 1400 seasonal employees. The mission of the Department is to protect the people of California from fires, respond to emergencies, and protect and enhance forest, range, and watershed values providing social, economic, and environmental benefits to rural and urban citizens.

No harm intended by the way. I was just checking out their website and came across these numbers.

Forum Member

http://www.fire.ca.gov/communication...ets/Glance.pdf
    http://www.fire.ca.gov/communication...tisCALFIRE.pdf

CAL FIRE covers the state with 21 operational units, 804 fire stations (228 state and 575 local government), 39 conservation camps, 13 air attack, and 9 helitack bases. The heart of CAL FIREís emergency response and resource protection capability is a force of nearly 4,700 full-time fire professionals, foresters, and administrative employees; 2,200 seasonal firefighters; 5,600 local government volunteer firefighters; 2,600 Volunteers In Prevention; and 4,300 inmates and wards. To transport and support these forces, CAL FIRE operates over 1,095 fire engines (336 state and 759 local government); 215 rescue squads; 63 paramedic units; 38 aerial ladder trucks; 58 bulldozers; 5 mobile communication centers; and 11 mobile kitchen units. Thedepartment funds, via contract, an additional 82 engines and 12 bulldozers in six counties Ė Kern, Los Angeles, Marin, Orange, Santa Barbara, and Ventura. From the air, CAL FIRE operates 23 1,200-gallon airtankers, 11 helicopter, and 13 airtactical planes.
    I'll place a bet that their statistics page, published this January, is likely more accurate than their career page which probably hasn't been updated since they went from a 96-hour to a 72-hour workweek.

The budget's so much in flux right now, who knows what they'll be able to hire come this summer. Here's to hoping that I'm on that list.

MembersZone Subscriber mtnfireguy's Avatar

Default From their website as well

No harm intended by the way. I was just checking out their website and came across these numbers.
    http://www.fire.ca.gov/about/downloads/Glance2006.pdf

CAL FIRE AT A GLANCE
    www.fi re.ca.gov
    January 2008
    CAL FIRE Protection Areas
    State Responsibility Area
    Areas where CAL FIRE has responsibility for emergency services...................... .............................. ...............31 million acres+
    Local Responsibility Area
    Areas where CAL FIRE provides some type of emergency services to local government via contract...................... .............................. ..36 counties
    CAL FIRE Budget
    2007/2008.......................... .......................$869 million
    Personnel (numbers approximate)
    Permanent..................... ............................4, 700
    Seasonal...................... .............................2 ,200
    Local Government Volunteer Firefighters (organized by CAL FIRE) .............................. .............................. 5,600
    Inmates, Wards, Conservation Corps...................4,300
    Volunteers In Prevention (VIPs)........................ .............................. .............................. .............................. ...2,600
    Facilities and Equipment
    CAL FIRE Fire Stations...................... ....................228
    Local Government Fire Stations (operated by CAL FIRE via contract)..................... .............................. ........575
    CAL FIRE Fire Engines....................... ....................336
    Local Government Fire Engines (operated by CAL FIRE via contract)..................... .............................. .........759
    Bulldozers.................... .............................. ..........58
    Aerial Ladder Trucks........................ ......................38
    Rescue Squads (swiftwater rescues, jaws of life, defi brillators, etc.)......................... .............................. .........215
    Paramedic Units......................... ..........................63
    Hazmat Units......................... .............................1 2
    Mobile Kitchen Units......................... ...................11
    Mobile Communication Centers....................... .........5
    Conservation Camps......................... ...................39
    Airtankers (one plane is stationed in Sacramento for maintenance relief)....................... .............................. ............23
    Helicopters (two helicopters stationed kept in Sacramento for maintenance relief)....................... .............................. ....................11
    Airtactical Planes (one plane is stationed in Sacramento for maintenance relief)....................... .............................. ....................14
    Fire and Emergency Responses (average)
    Wildland Fires......................... .............................. ..more than 5,600
    Non-Wildland Fire Emergencies (structure fi res, medical aids, hazardous material spills, etc.)...more than 350,000
    Buckle Up, Slow Down, Arrive Alive
    "Everybody Goes Home"

IACOJ 2003

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jasper45 View Post
    These guys have my admiration. No EMS, very little bogus running, just pure out right firefighting.

They are also very understaffed, equipped, and funded. They are the case in point of firemen making it happen, no matter what.

Understaffed and underequipped and underfunded are all about as accurate as you can be. But Detroit Fire does run EMS. Almost like FDNY does. They are seperate from the fire department but many "busses" are stationed at various stations around the city. The EMS side should be praised as well. They are in the same boat as the FD and run with a little under 40 ALS and BLS rigs. For a city of almost 1,000,000, that can mean a very busy day as an EMT or Medic. For those who have not been to Detroit, this is not your typical city. There are nice areas and then there are the not so nice. But for the most part crime is rampant all over the city and you can pretty much classify it as the largest ghetto in the United States.

Just my opinion for the last statement. Not meant to offend anyone.
    Last edited by firemunky; 03-30-2008 at 01:13 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by mtnfireguy View Post
    http://www.fire.ca.gov/about/downloads/Glance2006.pdf

CAL FIRE AT A GLANCE
    www.fi re.ca.gov
    January 2008
    CAL FIRE Protection Areas
    State Responsibility Area
    Areas where CAL FIRE has responsibility for emergency services...................... .............................. ...............31 million acres+
    Local Responsibility Area
    Areas where CAL FIRE provides some type of emergency services to local government via contract...................... .............................. ..36 counties
    CAL FIRE Budget
    2007/2008.......................... .......................$869 million
    Personnel (numbers approximate)
    Permanent..................... ............................4, 700
    Seasonal...................... .............................2 ,200
    Local Government Volunteer Firefighters (organized by CAL FIRE) .............................. .............................. 5,600
    Inmates, Wards, Conservation Corps...................4,300
    Volunteers In Prevention (VIPs)........................ .............................. .............................. .............................. ...2,600
    Facilities and Equipment
    CAL FIRE Fire Stations...................... ....................228
    Local Government Fire Stations (operated by CAL FIRE via contract)..................... .............................. ........575
    CAL FIRE Fire Engines....................... ....................336
    Local Government Fire Engines (operated by CAL FIRE via contract)..................... .............................. .........759
    Bulldozers.................... .............................. ..........58
    Aerial Ladder Trucks........................ ......................38
    Rescue Squads (swiftwater rescues, jaws of life, defi brillators, etc.)......................... .............................. .........215
    Paramedic Units......................... ..........................63
    Hazmat Units......................... .............................1 2
    Mobile Kitchen Units......................... ...................11
    Mobile Communication Centers....................... .........5
    Conservation Camps......................... ...................39
    Airtankers (one plane is stationed in Sacramento for maintenance relief)....................... .............................. ............23
    Helicopters (two helicopters stationed kept in Sacramento for maintenance relief)....................... .............................. ....................11
    Airtactical Planes (one plane is stationed in Sacramento for maintenance relief)....................... .............................. ....................14
    Fire and Emergency Responses (average)
    Wildland Fires......................... .............................. ..more than 5,600
    Non-Wildland Fire Emergencies (structure fi res, medical aids, hazardous material spills, etc.)...more than 350,000

I stand corrected.

MembersZone Subscriber

Understaffed and underequipped and underfunded are all about as accurate as you can be. But Detroit Fire does run EMS. Almost like FDNY does. They are seperate from the fire department but many "busses" are stationed at various stations around the city. The EMS side should be praised as well. They are in the same boat as the FD and run with a little under 40 ALS and BLS rigs. For a city of almost 1,000,000, that can mean a very busy day as an EMT or Medic. For those who have not been to Detroit, this is not your typical city. There are nice areas and then there are the not so nice. But for the most part crime is rampant all over the city and you can pretty much classify it as the largest ghetto in the United States.

I just want to state that I am in no way making Detroit out to be a giant $hithole. I like the city during the day, but at night it can get pretty dicey. I was just stating that all the crime that goes on there goes hand in hand with the call volume that the FD and EMS receive.

Forum Member

I just want to state that I am in no way making Detroit out to be a giant $hithole. I like the city during the day, but at night it can get pretty dicey. I was just stating that all the crime that goes on there goes hand in hand with the call volume that the FD and EMS receive.
    Just enjoying the disclaimers... it's amazing how one slight around here can have about a million people breathing down your neck in all of thirty-four seconds.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by NCalElias View Post
    Just enjoying the disclaimers... it's amazing how one slight around here can have about a million people breathing down your neck in all of thirty-four seconds.
    I know. I only type what I know. I worked for a small city department just outside of Detroit and I know a few DFD guys and they pretty much will concur with what I am posting. I just don't want anyone to take anything I post personally. Too many "susies" get their panties in a bunch over the slightest things.

By the way, good luck with the possible job there. I just found out yesterday that I have been chsen to be part of a crew that will staff a couple of state wildland engines here in southern Arizona. It's gonn be an exciting year I hear.

Forum Member FireCapt1951retired's Avatar

Actually Detroit EMS only has 28 BLS and ALS (can be lower at certain times of the day) to cover 139 sq. miles and run around 140,000 runs a year. Their burn out rate is astronomical. I even know more than a few medics who wear bullet proof vests, they do a good job at stopping knifes.
    Last edited by FireLt1951; 03-30-2008 at 10:54 AM.

Thread Information