Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Smile Need help for script :)

Hi,

my name is Pat and I registered here because I need some help for a script I am working on. I have some scenes in it where people get rescued and I donīt want to write nonsense, so I thought I ask the experts for advice before I make a fool of myself.

The situation is the followng: Itīs winter and you get a call that a house is on fire. You extinguish the fire and just as you wanna leave you receive another call that 1 mile away someone did break into an ice covered pond. My question is: Can you actually do something to rescue the person in the pond, considering you need a diver in a special thermo suit to get down to the ponds bottom or do you have to call for another team?
    In winter, do you always have diving equipment on board in case you need to suddenly rescue people who broke into ice or do you 'only' have the usual firefighting stuff with you?
    It would be good to know that, as I want to deliver a realistic script.

Sorry for my lousy English btw... Iīm no native speaker.

Pat

MembersZone Subscriber

Well I would like to help you out more, but there is not really ice covered ponds in Central AZ. Similarly we have a technical rescue truck for high angle rescue, trench rescue, swift water rescue, etc that has all the "specialized equiptment". We take it when we are dispatched to a technical rescue. As for actually rescuing a person I will leave that up to someone who knows more. Hopefully my little nugget helped

Berkeley Township, New Jersey, United States

Quote Originally Posted by Patric View Post
    Hi,

my name is Pat and I registered here because I need some help for a script I am working on. I have some scenes in it where people get rescued and I donīt want to write nonsense, so I thought I ask the experts for advice before I make a fool of myself.

The situation is the followng: Itīs winter and you get a call that a house is on fire. You extinguish the fire and just as you wanna leave you receive another call that 1 mile away someone did break into an ice covered pond. My question is: Can you actually do something to rescue the person in the pond, considering you need a diver in a special thermo suit to get down to the ponds bottom or do you have to call for another team?
    In winter, do you always have diving equipment on board in case you need to suddenly rescue people who broke into ice or do you 'only' have the usual firefighting stuff with you?
    It would be good to know that, as I want to deliver a realistic script.

Sorry for my lousy English btw... Iīm no native speaker.

Pat
    Well, my fire company doesn't do ice rescue, but I live in an area that I would know what is generally needed as per our area, not everyone else's.

Yes, some fire departments have their own water/ice rescue team integrated into their department. Since your 'rescue' scene is taking place in an area that does get cold enough where the water has a possibility to freeze, there's most likely a water/ice rescue team nearby whether it be a fire department or a separate rescue team. In our township, we have a dive team in one of our fire departments and a separate underwater rescue squad that has nothing to do with the fire department. You would have to determine whether or not you would want a special water/ice rescue team built into the fire department or a separate water/ice rescue team that needs to be dispatched.

I can probably safely say that no fire department that has a water/ice rescue team travels to a fire with their water/ice rescue apparatus and equipment. Most departments have their own separate apparatus and equipment specially made and utilized for water/ice rescue. That's not to say that a regular fire truck wouldn't respond to the incident as well for support, assistance, and man power. I would recommend that you make the scene have the returning fire apparatus respond to the location as well as have the water/ice rescue team dispatched as well. With our township dive team, they have their own boats and diving equipment separate from their firefighting apparatus and equipment so I would imagine that most fire departments operate that way as well.

I didn't see you ask for 'how' the rescue would be operated, but from experience I can tell you a few basic, obvious things. Well, first off, yes, there will be a special rescue team there to perform the task(s) at hand. Secondly, there will be special equipment used to successfully perform the rescue. Rescuers will be suited up in special thermal suits to protect from the cold and water. Be advised that I believe that those special suits are rated for only a certain amount of time of protection before the user starts to feel the effects of the cold. Depending on how many people you have to be able to perform this scene, you can make it a basic rescue or an in-depth complex rescue. I think rescue teams use some sort of 'sled-like' piece of equipment to transport the rescuers and victim(s) across the ice to spread out the weight so that the ice doesn't break as easily. That 'sled' would most likely be attached to some sort of rescue rope and attached to an 'anchor' just in case the 'sled' were to go through the ice. It's also used to pull the 'sled' back towards land. The 'anchor' can be anything that won't move from the weight of whatever it is anchoring. It can be a fire truck, a tree, a pole, and so on.

I hope that helps.
    Pinewald Pioneer Vol. Fire Co. No. 1 Sta. 20
    "Piney Power"

Berkeley Emergency Response Team (B.E.R.T./Haz-Mat/WMD/CBRNE) Station 85
    Berkeley Township, New Jersey 08721

Berkeley Township, New Jersey, United States

Quote Originally Posted by Kristin2116 View Post
    Well I would like to help you out more, but there is not really ice covered ponds in Central AZ. Similarly we have a technical rescue truck for high angle rescue, trench rescue, swift water rescue, etc that has all the "specialized equiptment". We take it when we are dispatched to a technical rescue. As for actually rescuing a person I will leave that up to someone who knows more. Hopefully my little nugget helped
    Yeah, most departments won't bring their technical rescue equipment and/or apparatus unless the call is for a special, technical rescue. Our department, however, has a Technical Rescue Unit that also serves as our township's F.A.S.T. Team Unit so anytime there is a structure fire that rolls as well as the obvious technical rescue call.
    Pinewald Pioneer Vol. Fire Co. No. 1 Sta. 20
    "Piney Power"

Berkeley Emergency Response Team (B.E.R.T./Haz-Mat/WMD/CBRNE) Station 85
    Berkeley Township, New Jersey 08721

Quote Originally Posted by Patric View Post

Pat
    Didn't that happen in "Mr. Deeds"? The Adam Sandler one.
    IAFF

Thanx so much for all your replies.
    I actually donīt plan to show the rescue scene itself, I just have to make it logical that a rescue time is there VERY QUICK, thatīs why I thought they got a fire call first and then just rush over to the pond... but as itīs so unlikely they carry their ice rescueing equipment with them, I think I can forget about that.

btw, if anyone knows what kind of medical treatment people who have been rescued from the bottom of an icy pond get, please let me know. If they get special medication, for example... or how quickly they can recover... is it possible they can talk/walk letīs say 8 - 10 hours later or is it more likely they will be kept in an artificial coma? And as this depends on how long they were under water - how long SHOULD they be under water to be able to walk along the hospital corridor some 10 hours later? If this is only possible if they are under water for 4 or 5 minutes I really have to think about how to get the rescue team there that fast!

Thread Information