Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Austin Fire Department - March 2008

First of all, who's looking to test with Austin Fire this coming Sunday? It always amazes me that so little discussion occurs on the FH forums over Austin FD yet over 3000 people will show up for an exam.

Has anyone ever taken this vendor's test ( Fire & Police Selection, Inc.)? Any pointers?

Also, maybe someone from a previous Austin list could chime in on any particulars over their oral board/oral interview.

Best of luck to everyone!

college town=lots of hot women...

but lots of hippies....

I hate hippies
    The Box. You opened it. We Came...

"You'll take my life but I'll take your's too. You'll fire musket but I'll run you through. So when your waiting for the next attack, you'll better understand there's no turn back."

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by JHR1985 View Post
    college town=lots of hot women...

but lots of hippies....

I hate hippies

Well yeah, I should probably mention that I go to UT so I know a fair amount about Austin's beautiful women and robust vagrant population.

Does anyone know anything about a projected class size? I'm under the impression that last year's was unusually large at just around 110 cadets.

Forum Member

Hippies? You don't know hippies. Burlington (VT) is also hiring...and that is hippie haven!!

P.S. Thankfully I don't live or work there....have met a few people that do though!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vegas0012 View Post
    First of all, who's looking to test with Austin Fire this coming Sunday? It always amazes me that so little discussion occurs on the FH forums over Austin FD yet over 3000 people will show up for an exam.

Has anyone ever taken this vendor's test ( Fire & Police Selection, Inc.)? Any pointers?

Also, maybe someone from a previous Austin list could chime in on any particulars over their oral board/oral interview.

Best of luck to everyone!
    Buy the FSI book and memorize it from cover to cover. Vegas used this test in 2006. They will test you on anything that is contained in the book. Don McNea usually offers a practice test that helped me get into group 1.

MembersZone Subscriber

So, after a quick glance of the "able to test" list, I estimated about 4000. Even if 80% show up that's still 3200. That's a lot of people for not that many spots.

Best of luck.

MembersZone Subscriber

I would say the class will be 30+ at least. Quite a few retirements. The 110 cadets you speak of was actually two classes. One with 80 I think and the other with around 30. The huge class was an anomaly for sure.

Forum Member

I thought about testing there, but then I read about how the fire and EMS is separate (or something like that). I'm a medic, and I'd like to work for a dept that has ff/medic's.

I'm registered for the test, but haven't gotten anything in the mail. Do you just show up, or are they supposed to have mailed something?

The test is at the convention center, correct?

(PS I left a voicemail for recruiting, and never got a call back, guess they are busy preparing...hopefully tommorow I'll hear something)

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by WestTac1 View Post
    I'm registered for the test, but haven't gotten anything in the mail. Do you just show up, or are they supposed to have mailed something?

The test is at the convention center, correct?

(PS I left a voicemail for recruiting, and never got a call back, guess they are busy preparing...hopefully tommorow I'll hear something)
    I haven't received anything in the mail, and I believe that's the way it's supposed to be. Everything up to this point should be communicated solely by their website and possibly email.

Regarding the test location, yes, it's at the Convention center. Here's the link:
    http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/fire/written.htm

Best of luck to everyone.

MembersZone Subscriber

Anyone have a reaction to the test?

I'm encouraged by the fact that 'only' 2500 or so were there instead of the normal 3200-3600.

Still, too early to get excited.

Forum Member

I thought the test was all right. Then again, it was my first Guess we'll all be waiting a couple of weeks to see who moves forward...

Anyone have any scoop on when the academy might start this time around?

MembersZone Subscriber USMCFFighter's Avatar

I'm eager to find out the results next week. The only part of the test I'm uncertain of is the Human Relations section.

Coming from the Corps and being a firefighter for four years now, there was a real world answer and a text book answer to the questions. I'm not sure that I nailed this particular section but you never know.

After asking my wife some of the questions she had logical replies, I thought. Whereas, as I came up through the ranks you don't rate to complain or have an opinion until you earn your "stripes/bugles/time/etc." I think this mentality played a part in some of my answers, not all!

Well, Good Luck Vegas and we'll know how we did shortly!

Semper Fi!
    Last edited by USMCFFighter; 04-01-2008 at 02:54 AM.
    "Once You Find Something You Enjoy Doing, Then It's No Longer Work!"

"Uncommon Valor Was A Common Virtue"-Adm. Nimitz about Marines in the Battle of Iwo Jima

Here's a quick question for anyone who can answer.

I didn't notice a lottery. How does Austin determine an order when candidates have the same score? Is it alphabetically, by confirmation number, etc. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

"Uncommon Valor Was A Common Virtue"-Adm. Nimitz about Marines in the Battle of Iwo Jima

MembersZone Subscriber

USMC,

I don't have the answer to your question, but I think ties are fairly rare b/c (assuming the test is graded like last year's) score are reported to the hundredths of a point. They manage this on a 100 test by weighting various questions differently rather than the 100 questions being worth 1 point each.

Take what I said with a grain of salt, but that was the case last year. It very well could have changed.

Against, best of luck. Don't be too worried either, you get an extra 5 points!

Roger That Vegas!

Thanks for the information! Sounds good!

MembersZone Subscriber

Anyone want to take a wild guess at what the cutoff will be?

My personal opinion is that it should be 90 and up (I'm sure you can guess what I got!)

MembersZone Subscriber

Default i must be blind

i can not see where these scores are posted on the site

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Aqui

Quote Originally Posted by cfish3321 View Post
    i can not see where these scores are posted on the site

http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/fire/downloads/scores08.pdf

Forum Member

Default Written test... oral interviews...

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for next Wednesday (when they announce who moves forward)... any guesses as to when the oral interviews will start happening?

Also I know I threw this out once before, but do any of you have any info/good guesses as to when the academy might start?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information