Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Firefighter Wants Job Back After Setting Fire. (To her dad's house.)

http://www.wgal.com/news/15689906/detail.html

Erie's first female firefighter is fighting to get her job back, even though officials say she admitted setting her father's house on fire in a suicide attempt.

Details of Mary Wolski's firing had been confidential. They were made public after she appealed her firing in Erie County Court last week.

Fire Chief Tony Pol wrote in Wolski's April 2007 termination letter that setting the December 2006 fire made her unsuited to be a firefighter because she posed a danger to others and herself. She was hired in 1997.

Her lawyer, Paul Susko, said officials violated her constitutional rights and lacked evidence to uphold the firing.

Erie District Attorney Brad Foulk said based on the law and circumstances of the fire, no charges were filed.
    Discuss.

Forum Member

Suicidal? Homicidal? Sure, lets keep her on the job. WTF?

In this whacky world and whacked out judicial system, she probably will get her job back....

The question is.. who wants to work with her?
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Firefighter Wants Job Back After Setting Fire. (To her dad's house.)
    Well, tough sh1t!

MembersZone Subscriber

Does anyone know the circumstances that would allow for no charges being filed?
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Where is her Local siding on the issue?
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    Does anyone know the circumstances that would allow for no charges being filed?
    Maybe dad didn't want to prosecute?

Down here, charges are almost never filed if the property owner doesn't want to prosecute and there's no insurance issue.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by EFD840 View Post
    Maybe dad didn't want to prosecute?

Down here, charges are almost never filed if the property owner doesn't want to prosecute and there's no insurance issue.
    Up here, the victim loses alot of their discretion in a crime of violence. This would also be considered a DV incident, which takes all of their discretion away. It would be real interesting to hear what REALLY happened here.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace View Post
    Where is her Local siding on the issue?
    Local what?

Local Neighbors?
    Local Fire Chief?
    Local Attorney?
    Local Police?

Quote Originally Posted by neiowa View Post
    Local what?

Local Neighbors?
    Local Fire Chief?
    Local Attorney?
    Local Police?
    I assume that Erie has a career fire departmetn and is represented by an IAFF Local.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Thumbs down

I don't care what the local IAFF would say. I wouldn't be comfortable with an admitted suicidal arsonist on my crew. My $.02.

Quote Originally Posted by PAZ711 View Post
    I don't care what the local IAFF would say. I wouldn't be comfortable with an admitted suicidal arsonist on my crew. My $.02.
    Just curious, but do the ~9 years prior to her termination matter to you at all?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Erie is a career department, whose members are in the IAFF. Funny thing is, I live in one of Erie's suburbs, and never even heard of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    Just curious, but do the ~9 years prior to her termination matter to you at all?
    It depends what her work performance was like. Since her own lawyer didn't say how wonderful a FF she was during her spectacular career, I'm wondering what she was like in the firehouse. And as for myself, I go along with PAZ711. If she relapses and decides to bring someone else with her I don't want it to be me. That's my Constitutional right. Hell with her.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Yup!..........

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    Up here, the victim loses alot of their discretion in a crime of violence. This would also be considered a DV incident, which takes all of their discretion away. It would be real interesting to hear what REALLY happened here.

Ummm........ Yeah, me too......... only the tip of the Iceberg.......... And, like George's State of Residence, Maryland also makes it tough NOT to file charges as the seriousness of the offense grows..... Stop and think about this - What if murders weren't prosecuted because the victim failed to sign a complaint??
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    Ummm........ Yeah, me too......... only the tip of the Iceberg.......... And, like George's State of Residence, Maryland also makes it tough NOT to file charges as the seriousness of the offense grows..... Stop and think about this - What if murders weren't prosecuted because the victim failed to sign a complaint??
    I'm not sayin' I agree, I'm just throwing out a possibility.

There's nothing in Alabama law that would prevent bringing charges. I think it is more realism on the part of investigators and prosecutors. It seems very difficult to get any simple DV related convictions around here when there are uncooperative victims. I imagine they feel that an arson case that will probably lose anyhow isn't a priority.

True story - Husband and wife drinking vodka and eating watermelon get in a fight. Wife pulls a gun, chases husband out the door firing all the way then proceeds to set the living room of the trailer on fire.

She went to jail but only because the rounds she threw at him hit the neighbor's trailer. After sobering up, they reconciled and the arson case went nowhere and it was a slam dunk - she freely admitted to lighting it.

BTW, putting your hand into hot gooey watermelon when searching in zero visibility can really cause your mind to imagine you just found something really unpleasant.

Minimal. People change, and not always for the better, as in this case. And like len1582 noted, there weren't any glowing praises of her past performance in the story. Generally, when all else fails, pull the hero/exceptional crew member card.

Am I missing a link or article that even addresses that time period? Or is the assumption being made, that since the 1 article above does not mention her previous time that she was not anything special?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

If that would have been Delaware. There wouldn't be to much of a fight on this. This a "fire @ will state". As long as the chief didn't really say why he/she was firing the person. There isn't much they could do.

But me personally, I would have fired the crap out of her myself...lmao
    "Courage is the resistance to fear, the mastery of fear, not the lack of fear." Mark Twain
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." Uknown

Cool

Am I missing a link or article that even addresses that time period? Or is the assumption being made, that since the 1 article above does not mention her previous time that she was not anything special?
    I inferred it based on the omission of any notes of interest in her career.

At this point, I'm going to offer to agree-to-disagree and move on because we're obviously looking at this issue from 2 different sides of the fence. Can't say who's right or wrong, but we each have our opinions.

Thread Information