MembersZone Subscriber

Question Help needed with dept. classification

We are a municipal FD that has an ambulance service as part of it. We have paid dispatchers in-house 24/7. We also have part-time paid EMS-only personnel from 6a to 6p most days. Do we now become a combination department because we have part-time paid EMTs who perform absolutely no firefighting duties?

MembersZone Subscriber

Wink Be Happy - Combination gets more money & better odd's

No less than 33 percent of AFG funds ($184.8 million) must be awarded to combination organizations (organizations with both paid career and volunteer active duty firefighters).

No less than 22 percent of AFG funds ($123.2 million) must be awarded to all-volunteer organizations (organizations with no active duty paid career firefighters).

From the AFG Statistics In 2007, Federal Share Requested was $803,435,189 (25.91%) of total for combination (4,533 applications) vs. $1,583,825,757 (51.09%) for volunteer (12,175 applications).

MembersZone Subscriber

those are great odds but our paid people aren't firefighters -- they are ambulance only. What would you recommend? It looks to me like we are still volunteer because of tthey aren't active firefighters. They don't even respond on fire jobs unless an ambulance is needed at it.
    Last edited by ksmith31; 03-24-2008 at 10:01 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking I'd pick combination

If they are paid as part of your department budget and cover the same area, in the same building, I'd pick combination.

I'm thinking about paying myself $1.00 a day so we can be combination next year.

From the PG:
    A fire department can apply for assistance for its EMS unit, provided the unit falls organizationally under the auspices of the fire department.

From the App help:
    Combination - An agency or organization in which at least one member receives financial compensation for their services and/or at least one member does not receive financial compensation for their services, except as defined below.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking I'd pick combination

Sorry, Hit submit again
    Last edited by Fighting41NY; 03-24-2008 at 10:25 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Man, that's so bloody obvious--how did i miss that??? I wonder if our chief would take a salary to improve our odds??
    earl

Thread Information