Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default West Metro Fire Rescue

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to let you know that west metro is taking applications for there fall 2008 hiring process. Unlike in previous years where they had a two week application period it has been extended and is online now. Go to westmetrofire.org to apply, it will cost you $45 but it totally worth it. They are a progressive department with some of the best equipment in the state. Not to mention they are remodeling or rebuilding half of there station in the next five years and are in the process of building a new state of the art training center. Really a good time to get hired, lots of things going on. Let me know if anyone has questions. Best of luck to everyone that applies.

Forum Member

I have 3 questions.

1. What is the starting pay (for medics)?

2. Does a National Registry cert work?

3. Is it cold there? =]

Forum Member

I'm currently a junior at the University of Louisville in KY. Is it reasonable for me to apply to this? Me being in KY and in school?

Plus, it says you have to have state of Colorado EMT certification 30 days prior to hiring...I obviously don't have that.

Colorado sounds awesome though. Skiing, backpacking. I love the mountains.

Forum Member

Do you know how long it is open for?

It says that you have to be an EMT, but then it says for 2008 the paramedic requirement is lifted. Are these not the same things?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default more questions

Hey I've got some questions as well. I looked over the job annoucement, so it looks like its a paramedic apprenticeship. I've seen a lot of job postings that are hiring for medics or basics, but when it comes down to it, they're only really going to take the medics. Do you know if they're looking to have basics go through the process or do they just want medics?
    Also, I'm planning on going through the paramedic class this fall, I'm just finishing up the pre-reqs, like A&P (here in Oregon the P cert is an associates degree), what I would like to know is, do you think that having these pre-reqs, plus my FF1, driver, and Haz Mat stuff done will help?
    Last, any idea about how many they take about how many apply?

Thanks,
    Phil

MembersZone Subscriber

I did my paramedic ride time with west metro. Its a great dept., great guys! ALL west metro ff's are required to be medics. If you arent when you get on, they put you thru medic school. Pay was above average i believe for denver. When i tested with them the PT was HARD! Very few passed. Many went to the hospital. I didnt pass. It was harder than the CPAT. I'm not sure if they changed it in the past few years? ITs like the CPAT but with a 1/4 mile run with weighted vest at the end. talk about wobbly legs. man i thought mine were on fire. anyways like i said the guys are great and if you get on you wount regret it. Denver is a great place to live. IS it cold? Depends on what you are comparing it to? It snows one day and is gone by the next. Except in the mountains. Well hope this helps someone. good luck.

MembersZone Subscriber mtnfireguy's Avatar

Are all West Metro firefighters required to be paramedics?
    For the 2008 hiring process, the Department-mandated paramedic requirement has been lifted. West Metro reserves the right to require all members to obtain Paramedic certification based on Department need. In addition to completion of on-the-job training hours and satisfactory monthly evaluations, new Firefighters must obtain CMCB FF I and II by the end of their 11th month.

How much do West Metro firefighters earn?

Salary range as of 1/1/2008: $41,118-$63,258.

An additional two percent is added to the base pay of each member at the completion of their 5th, 10th, 15th and 19th year of full time employment.
    Buckle Up, Slow Down, Arrive Alive
    "Everybody Goes Home"

IACOJ 2003

MembersZone Subscriber

Default West Metro Questions

Hey Guys,

First off, West Metro is a paramedic apprenticeship program. Meaning that after 3 years on the job you must obtain your paramedic certification. This is not written in stone though, they are going through a transition period and are deciding what to do with the program. There is talk that they are going to give you the option of either getting your paramedic certification or your associates degree in fire science. West Metro is one of the highest paying departments in the state and the salary range listed in the previous post is for a first grade firefighter, not a first grade firefighter paramedic. Add about another $6,000 to the end of the scale for paramedics. As far as whether they prefer medics or not when they hire doesn't really seem to matter. When I went throught the academy about 15% of the guys had there paramedic certs and the rest of us were EMT's. Colorado can be cold in the winter, but is always sunny and that is something to be desired (especially if you are from the midwest). West Metro also runs a great schedule the 48/96 which is awesome, and is in the process of building a state of the are training facility. It is definitely a great time to get hired at a progressive fire department. Let me know if there are any other questions you guys have, and if not I look forward to seeing you at the phyiscal agility. Best advice to give you is to get in SHAPE!! It is by far the hardest physical out there because you actually get a numerically score on your physical test. Your score is by based on the time you get, so obviously the faster you run the course the better your score. And to be honest this is where you make up all your points, most people do rather well on the written and oral interviews, but you can really separate yourselfs from the rest of the field by doing well on the PT test.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firefighter1126 View Post
    Hey Guys,

First off, West Metro is a paramedic apprenticeship program. Meaning that after 3 years on the job you must obtain your paramedic certification. This is not written in stone though, they are going through a transition period and are deciding what to do with the program. There is talk that they are going to give you the option of either getting your paramedic certification or your associates degree in fire science. West Metro is one of the highest paying departments in the state and the salary range listed in the previous post is for a first grade firefighter, not a first grade firefighter paramedic. Add about another $6,000 to the end of the scale for paramedics. As far as whether they prefer medics or not when they hire doesn't really seem to matter. When I went throught the academy about 15% of the guys had there paramedic certs and the rest of us were EMT's. Colorado can be cold in the winter, but is always sunny and that is something to be desired (especially if you are from the midwest). West Metro also runs a great schedule the 48/96 which is awesome, and is in the process of building a state of the are training facility. It is definitely a great time to get hired at a progressive fire department. Let me know if there are any other questions you guys have, and if not I look forward to seeing you at the phyiscal agility. Best advice to give you is to get in SHAPE!! It is by far the hardest physical out there because you actually get a numerically score on your physical test. Your score is by based on the time you get, so obviously the faster you run the course the better your score. And to be honest this is where you make up all your points, most people do rather well on the written and oral interviews, but you can really separate yourselfs from the rest of the field by doing well on the PT test.
    Thanks for all the info! I was reading about the physical agility, and I was wondering what is the "designated time" for the 1/4 mile run?

Forum Member

I'm from Kentucky. If I want to get my Colorado EMT Cert before I'm hired, how can I go about doing that?

How can I get a Colorado EMT-b cert? I live in Kentucky?

MembersZone Subscriber

Firemike,

To be honest I can't remember what the designated time for the 1/4 mile run is. Basically you do the typical combat test, and after completing that they stop the clock and you take off your SCBA and put on a weighted vest. Once you put on the weighted vest you go to the start line and they start the clock and you run a 1/4 mile. They take the total time between the combat challenge part of the test and the 1/4 mile. The key to this pt test is to have strong legs and strong lungs. Upper body strength really isn't that critical. I will say one more thing, the West Metro firefighters that help proctor the test are great. They give you encouragement and push you even when you thought you had nothing left. With out their help I definitely wouldn't have scored nearly as well. I hope this helps. Let me know if there is anything further I can help with.

MembersZone Subscriber mtnfireguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by firemike409 View Post
    Thanks for all the info! I was reading about the physical agility, and I was wondering what is the "designated time" for the 1/4 mile run?
    The designated time is 3 minutes
    Buckle Up, Slow Down, Arrive Alive
    "Everybody Goes Home"

IACOJ 2003

MembersZone Subscriber

mts4602,

You need to be national registered as an EMT. Colorado went to this a couple of years ago. So if you are an EMT in Kentucky and you are nationally registered then you can get reciprocity for the state of Colorado. If you are not an EMT, I would suggest taking the class because most FD's require it now, at least out here in the west. One last thing, it states that you must have your EMT 30 days prior to hire. It doesn't mean that you need it to apply to West Metro. Keep in mind that the list is good for 2 years, so if your name comes up later in the list you still have time to get your EMT. Hope this helps. Let me know if there is anything else I can answer for you guys out there.

Thread Information