Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Talking Grant app question

I will start this out by saying this, If your gonna be a sucker, be a quiet one!!! I got a call from our chief in regards to possibility of going for a grant for an engine. We have done no research for pricing,requirements of the grant or for that matter, anything! I guess I am reaching out to see if anyone would have some basic information on a CAFS engine for a volunteer department protecting several sites deemed critical infrastructure. As far as our apparatus fleet, we currently have a 2001 pumper/tanker,2001 ladder,2004 rescue/engine,2006 brush truck and two ambo's, 2001 and 2007 respectively. We will be implementing paid part time staffing with the next to years and will make a jump up to the combination department when a full time Chief is added in the next couple of years as well. The project would be for a city/fire district with roughly 12,000 citizens covering 16 square miles of 1st due with many more miles of 2nd and 3rd territory. With the city becoming more urban and developed, we are looking for a smaller piece of apparatus that is able to maneuver in cul de sacs and other locations that the bigger apparatus have trouble in. Ideal project would be for a 6 man cab cafs engine 1750gpm pump, with an ALS compartment in the cab. Hale CAFSpro would be CAFS system. some kind of pricing idea or if there is a max amount available for an engine purchase.

Next questions would be requirements for the grant. Do we need to implement a driver operator program for acceptance or is that optional? Also, it looks like we can request the mobile data terminal through the equipment grant, is that also correct?

Sorry for the late requests, on any prior grants, we were done and waiting for the grants to open to submit. I guess this year, we needed a challenge!!! Anyway, if anybody has any helpfull advice, please respond as I am more then willing to take the help. And I already know this is a longshot, and we have newer apparatus, and we are a smaller department and those items. Chief says it dosn't hurt anything to have them say no right. Best case scenario, they come back with a yes. Back to drinking the Fire grant up all night kool-aid

Ryan

MembersZone Subscriber

Default question from the grasshopper..

As far as our apparatus fleet, we currently have a 2001 pumper/tanker,2001 ladder,2004 rescue/engine,2006 brush truck and two ambo's, 2001 and 2007 respectively.
    If I was looking at numbers, I see 4 trucks, the oldest is only 7 years old. I am sure the gurus will come in and correct me, but I don't see how you could get a grant for another engine.

Just out of curiousity, how old is your gear (PPE, SCBA )?

forgive me for asking, I am but a grasshopper among the grant gurus- learning my way....
    Last edited by superchef; 03-27-2008 at 03:55 PM.

Forum Member

Gear is good. To prior grants, one for the brush truck and one for SCBA and an exhuast system. Really, all of our equipment is in pretty good shape for the most part. Just taking a stab at it.

MembersZone Subscriber

The vehicle category of the AFG program is very competitive.... With few exceptions, if the average age of your fleet is less then 20 or 25 years old you don't have much of a chance of making it past computer scoring.

It never hurts to apply.... but the statistics are not on your side.
    Dave
    Middlesex Hose Co.
    Middlesex NY

dharrington@middlesexny.org

http://www.middlesexfire.org

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Tallyho74 View Post
    I will start this out by saying this, If your gonna be a sucker, be a quiet one!!! I got a call from our chief in regards to possibility of going for a grant for an engine. We have done no research for pricing,requirements of the grant or for that matter, anything! I guess I am reaching out to see if anyone would have some basic information on a CAFS engine for a volunteer department protecting several sites deemed critical infrastructure. ...

Ryan
    Dyersville???? My 1st guess but don't think they have a ladder.

Forum Member

Your inventory isn't old enough to warrant replacing anything or adding to your fleet.

MembersZone Subscriber

Nothing???

Perhaps an accurate comment would be "given avg fleet age unlikely to qualify for a fire grant".

You don't mind if they evaluate their equipment needs and identify problem areas for themselves?

Forum Member

Why sugar coat it? There's only 8 days left to apply if they wish to take the time to evaluate, so be it. With the oldest vehicle being a 2001 they would be wasting precious time in submitting a vehicle app.

Forum Member

Not Dyersville, central iowa, however I do love field of dreams!!! Yeah I know it's a long shot for a truck grant due to age/inventory of current fleet. We are trying to stay ahead of the curve in dealing with rapidly increasing call volume. In 2003 we ran 365 calls, this year we should be close to a thousand. The idea is to staff a paramedic engine company that is built for city use and not city/rural like our current pumper/tanker. I am not new to this grant process, as I have written 3 grants, two of which have been sucessfull for almost $300,000 in equipment. It's just been a couple of years since I have really paid attention to the program and there have been numerous changes. I still can't tell if there is a maximum amount that would be available for a CAFS style engine or not? I do appreciate the responses and you guys keep up the good work. The paydays are coming!!!

Ryan

Forum Member

Tally,
    There are caps on anything you request through the grant program, unfortunately they aren't published. If a Grants Management person calls to lower the amount in a negotiation, then you can rest assured you went over the cap. I wasn't trying to be negative in earlier comments and don't appreciate the "attack" by neiowa, it's just that the app period ends very soon and any "evaluation" you may wish to make takes precious time away from submitting a well thought out & organized app. Good luck !!

Forum Member

no offense taken on that. I know that even thinking about trying to start out an evaluation process this late in the game is foolish on our part. All that I can say is that, if you under the gun and need information on the grant process, this has been and continues to be the place to go!!!

Thread Information