WFDFire2156
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default Boston Close Call Video (this gets close!)

This got hot fast! If you have never seen this its a good video to show how fast it can get hot up on a roof. They have to escape from one building to another. P.S the video is much better if you put it into pull sreen instead of watching it on the small little sreen they have. Its on the right side off the video looks like a little T.V. sreen.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zm1WQbf8Xq0&feature=related[/url
    Last edited by WFDFire2156; 03-26-2008 at 02:32 AM.

Everyone goes home!

ive seen that is ridiculous its crazy

Forum Member

Definitely a close call.

Also covered over here.

http://forums.firehouse.com/showthre...ghlight=Boston

If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ndvfdff33 View Post
    Definitely a close call.

Also covered over here.

http://forums.firehouse.com/showthre...ghlight=Boston

d'oh hate when that happens

how about this one it is the latest story off of firefighterclosecalls.com (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWfjTPU2tIA

makes good girls go bad

Hes an idiot. And should be smacked.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighter2230 View Post
    d'oh hate when that happens

how about this one it is the latest story off of firefighterclosecalls.com (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWfjTPU2tIA
    Now that was some crazy s**t!
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

Let me see if I understand this. The guy gets off the truck and "runs" inside with a halligan. To do what? How about a hoseline? Or maybe a hook? I would really like to know just what he was doing? Another video showing people just way to excited to be at a fire and not thinking first.

Forum Member

**Post Deleted**
    Last edited by mpullen32; 03-26-2008 at 11:10 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

**post deleted**
    Last edited by dsadberry; 03-26-2008 at 11:26 AM. Reason: watched it again... re-formulating reply...
    FF/EMT

The opinions in the above post do not reflect those of my department... Hell they don't even necessarily reflect my own opinion.

FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH DUTY-PRIDE-TRADITION

the 4-1-4

I'm not going to condemn or rip the video. I have no idea what they were assigned to do at this fire. Is this video even real time, or was it edited? I don't know. It's a little snippet in time.

It's awfully easy to criticize.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MassFireGuy View Post
    Let me see if I understand this. The guy gets off the truck and "runs" inside with a halligan. To do what? How about a hoseline? Or maybe a hook? I would really like to know just what he was doing? Another video showing people just way to excited to be at a fire and not thinking first.

From reading on another site, this is in Charles Co,MD and they were assigned to search the 2nd floor. So yes, coming off the truck with a haligan and no hoseline to do a search is acceptible. Running may not be cool but it happens.
    Real men wear kilts. www.forourfallen.org

the 4-1-4

Quote Originally Posted by GFDLT1 View Post
    From reading on another site, this is in Charles Co,MD and they were assigned to search the 2nd floor. So yes, coming off the truck with a haligan and no hoseline to do a search is acceptible. Running may not be cool but it happens.
    You mean there could be more to the story than what we saw in a short video clip?

Imagine that.

makes good girls go bad

OK, 00:29 seconds in. He isn't even in an IDLH yet. He has already tried jumping out of the moving apparatus, and is breathing air, while running up to the house.
    00:45 in. All I hear is Darth Vader breathing, at a rate of about 30. Yup, all that running sure was smart.

If you stay focused, make damn sure you know your assignment, don't go charging into a fire after running with your air on, and look at your fire conditions before charging in, you stand a better chance. I am not saying that the structure collapsing was his fault, but not taking your time, and reading the structure IS.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

Thats a typical house fire so what?...Yup half is going to collapse and pipe is already though the door regardless...possible occupied structure. Search! Go through a the front door ( as Done) as I would have. or through a window on side 3 or 4 big ****ing deal...so whats your point?

FTM PTB RFB
    Box 8087

the 4-1-4

If you stay focused, make damn sure you know your assignment, don't go charging into a fire after running with your air on, and look at your fire conditions before charging in, you stand a better chance. I am not saying that the structure collapsing was his fault, but not taking your time, and reading the structure IS.

Glad to know you have all of the answers.
    Glad to know you heard the conversation in the rig prior to arrival. Glad to know you heard all of the radio traffic prior to their arrival.
    What was the report from the first in companies? Were they hustling because of a report of trapped occupants?
    Was there another member in trouble they might have been searching for? What other tools did they have in their hands getting off the rig?

Let's see what your breathing is like at a fire. Would I be on air outside? Absolutely not, but why don't you ask the guy in the video why he was. How do you know he didn't size up on his approach? 30 seconds is a long time to think about things on your way up to a house.

I will not criticize them based only on this video. There isn't enough information.

Forum Member

I always thought it was smart to jump out of a moving truck.

And to the other posters, I do not need to see more than what is shown to know this guy needs to calm down and stop acting like a yahoo. These are the type of guys that make fire scenes dangerous for everybody. Tunnel vision can get alot of people killed. That's firefighting 101.

But if you feel the need to defend it, ask yourself these questions first:

1. Should I jump out a moving apparatus?
    2. Should I be on air while I do it?
    3. Should I run across the yard and right into the fire?

If you answered yes to any of those questions, you should think about a career change. What good are you with half a bottle or a broken leg? There is no room for that in a fire or fireground.

Maybe he acted like this because he had a helmet cam on and wanted to show off? I don't know. Bottom line is you are going to cost lives and money acting so reckless.

And ,Jasper, it is aweful easy to criticize these actions. Should we all?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BLSboy View Post
    Hes an idiot. And should be smacked.
    Do what? an idiot?

FFYagour88
    I've seen that is ridiculous its crazy.....

And what Dept do you work for?

FTM PTB RFB
    Box 8087

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jasper45 View Post
    Glad to know you have all of the answers.
    Glad to know you heard the conversation in the rig prior to arrival. Glad to know you heard all of the radio traffic prior to their arrival.
    What was the report from the first in companies? Were they hustling because of a report of trapped occupants?
    Was there another member in trouble they might have been searching for? What other tools did they have in their hands getting off the rig?

Let's see what your breathing is like at a fire. Would I be on air outside? Absolutely not, but why don't you ask the guy in the video why he was. How do you know he didn't size up on his approach? 30 seconds is a long time to think about things on your way up to a house.

I will not criticize them based only on this video. There isn't enough information.

I don't care if the freakin' Pope is trapped in there. What good are you going to do him if you go down? Not only are you out of the picture, so are the other fire fighters who's attention will go right to you.

Good to know you can size up in a moving tuck pulling up to the scene. Hope you took a good look at the one side. Usually there is more to it than that.

There is enough to criticize this video. Look at the pointed out actions. Learn from it. Isn't that what this is all about?

the 4-1-4

And ,Jasper, it is aweful easy to criticize these actions. Should we all?

Did you forget the criticism of the guys on a roof in the northeast, recently? There was a lot to criticize there, as well. Yet the entire story wasn't out there, so what would be the point. Or, how about the criticism of some recent LODD's, in which the entire story isn't out there. It is always better to wait for as much information as possible before you throw guys under the bus.

I'm not defending their actions, I'm just not criticizing every aspect of what they did. I know that plenty of actions would look bad here, were they to be filmed. Isn't the same true where you work? Isn't the same true of some fires you have even been at? I know that's the case here, maybe your place is different.

Their biggest mistake was to post this video on the internet, enabling "experts" everywhere to hang them on a short piece of video.
    Last edited by jasper45; 03-26-2008 at 01:10 PM.

Forum Member

I have several times rolled up BF+++Deal.. Size up or is that not taught to you by years of experience or in the IFSTA mannual? I have done that in the 2.2 sec before I hit the door..What do you need blueprints first?.. Secondly does anyone here use a radio? Because I have found it beneficial prior to being on scene what I am up against and my assignment. So yes I have stepped off on Air!

I must be missing the point of this thread. Maybe someday I will be a real fireman..until then have fun wacker's gone wild

FTM PTB RFB
    Box 8087

Forum Member

Hang? Throw under a bus? Answer those three questions asked. Tell me when it is ok to do anyone of the three? People put videos out so we can learn from them. Refusing to do so just to show us your "moral fiber" is assinine.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pipeman2 View Post
    I have several times rolled up BF+++Deal.. Size up or is that not taught to you by years of experience or in the IFSTA mannual? I have done that in the 2.2 sec before I hit the door..What do you need blueprints first?.. Secondly does anyone here use a radio? Because I have found it beneficial prior to being on scene what I am up against and my assignment. So yes I have stepped off on Air!

I must be missing the point of this thread. Maybe someday I will be a real fireman..until then have fun wacker's gone wild

FTM PTB RFB
    Box 8087
    Speaking of idiots.

the 4-1-4

People put videos out so we can learn from them. Refusing to do so just to show us your "moral fiber" is assinine.
    Sorry, I'm not showing you my "moral fiber", I'm just offering you my opinion on this video. If you want to go ahead and jump all over them, or me for offering an opinion, feel free. I'm not going to, and I was telling you why. If you don't like that, oh well.

There are things they did in that video that we don't do here, or that I won't do. No doubt about that. Maybe you should ask the guy who was in the video what his thought process was. If that were to happen then we'd have a real good learning opportunity. Maybe there was some intangible that was relayed to him, I don't know. As it is, all any of us can do is speculate and guess as to what they were thinking.

I know that here we have predetermined jobs. For instance, if we're pulling up second or third due, there is a good possibility that we'll be taking the roof. That decision will probably be made by the first in companies and relayed to us via radio. We pull up, we're going to the roof unless told otherwise. It may look like we jump off the rig with little or no size up, which would be wrong. We look at the building and we can make a reasonable guess as to the ladders needed to get there. We take part of our size up from the first due companies, and then add that to what we see. We try to communicate and relay information needed that would probably not be seen in a video, such as this one.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pipeman2 View Post

FTM PTB RFB
    Box 8087
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKjxFJfcrcA
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Forum Member

Thank you for the complement..Mass

FTM PTB RFB
    Box 8087

Thread Information