Forum Member

Default anybody ever had a stress fracture?

have you ever had a stress fracture in your leg? what did you do to get it healed?

Forum Member

I've never had one.. but a lot of the special ops recruits at my first tech school got them all the time from all the running they did. they just had the guys on profile for about 3 months (rested) gave em some soldier candy (motrin 800mg) and monitored.. not much you can do from what i understand.
    -pete

Badgerland FOOL

Like he said...just give em some time to rest and heal on their own...a friend of mine that ran cross country and track in college had them and pretty much had to shut it down for a few weeks and pop some pain killers as needed.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

yup. soldier candy is your best bet.
    REst. Review your technique, maybe your running funny. mine just healed up, but I was too stupid to go on profile.

Forum Member

what happens if you have a stress fracture and are unable to run in the scheduled fitness benchmark tests after you are hired?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Get on Calcium

Our Food these days is more highly processed... carrying less nutirents than ever. Get on Calcium supplements... get microcrystaline hydroxiappetite:

Here's a great article comparing forms of calcium:

http://www.naturopathicdoc.com/template.cfm?page=1

Also read here:

http://www.oralchelation.com/technical/calcium2.htm

And even get it here:

http://www.nextag.com/calcium-microc...te/search-html

Take 1200 mg/day.

Once you get rid of that fracture, keep taking it, and start training with weights 2-3 days per week. You shoudln't be running more that 3 days a week. and resting the legs 1-2. The weight training and the good form of calcium will help build your bones to be more resistant to these things!!!

Dr. Jen
    www.fireagility.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by xstalkrx View Post
    what happens if you have a stress fracture and are unable to run in the scheduled fitness benchmark tests after you are hired?
    There's more to it, but ultimately you get fired.

MembersZone Subscriber

I had them In the Corps and thought they were a joke until I headed down to BAS to have them checked out.

As some of the others said, your best bet is to Stay Off Of Them. With qual runs approaching, you need to stay well conditioned so I would advise non-impact PT such as going to the the local gym and spending more time on swimming, bicycling (higher levels/ longer distances), elliptical machines , etc. Anything involving cardio and leg strength you can't go wrong training for your runs.

Oh yeah, a good pair of running shoes (price shouldn't be a factor in purchasing them), good stretching prior to running, and strengthening the specific muscle (toe raises), etc. This is what was told to me and worked just fine.

Semper Fi!
    Last edited by USMCFFighter; 03-27-2008 at 03:43 PM.
    "Once You Find Something You Enjoy Doing, Then It's No Longer Work!"

"Uncommon Valor Was A Common Virtue"-Adm. Nimitz about Marines in the Battle of Iwo Jima

Forum Member

Default Ouch

I had them in the ARMY and the treatment was the same as every one has said. I have heard of a newer treatment involving compression sleeves. I believe the theory is that by using compression on the afffected area, you can help the bone to heal faster. The compression is used in conjunction with some supplements, but I have no idea what they are.

Forum Member

See if you can track down a bone stimulator from your Doc.

Something like this: http://www.ebimedical.com/products/detail.cfm?p=0C

We used these all the time in college whenever one of our runners had a stress fracture and it greatly improved not only the time it took to heal, but the quality of healing also.

Thread Information