Forum Member

Default H.O Bostrom SecureAll Seats

Hi there I was interested if anyone out there is using this product on their rigs. Looking for some feedback. Also how well they work with 1 Hour MSA Bottles.http://www.hobostrom.com/en/fire/fr_tanker450_SecureAll.asp
    Attached Images Attached Images  

MembersZone Subscriber

Not using them yet, but this is what we specced on our new Toyne Rescue Pumper. Hopefully they'll have some of the seats on hand at the factory next week.

Forum Member

Also our seat of choice for our new platform.A nice system. T.C.

Forum Member

Default Agreed...

We went with them in our new unit also.

Forum Member

Does the handle in the middle of the seat cushion release the air bottle?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by sven73 View Post
    Does the handle in the middle of the seat cushion release the air bottle?
    I believe so. You could do your own Maverick impersonation and yell "EJECT EJECT EJECT" when you're getting out of the truck.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Forum Member

We have decided to go this way due to some minor issues with the Zico "string" getting hung up on the bottles when you eject,eject,eject.
    I was more interested in how the bottle restraint system functioned for ejecting.

Forum Member

Anyone know the cost difference?

Forum Member

You pull up on the yellow handle to release.This triggers a automotive door type latch(thru the cable attached to the handle)which allows a spring loaded clamp to release the air bottle.Nothing to hang you up like the string Zicos. IF I remember right,it was about $100. a seat more. T.C.

Forum Member

Default New HO Bostrom seats

I stopped at FDIC and spoke with the reps from HO Bostrom
    a retrofit seat costs about $450.00- if you currently have an HO Bostrom seat
    a new seat without the integrated seatbelt costs about $1000.00
    a new seat with the integrated seatbelt costs about $1200.00

Forum Member

Sorry to bring this back to life, but I found this thread searching for info on the seats.

Our 3 new rigs have them, and they are not user friendly for the FF's or me.
    When I did the change over for all 3 rigs to their new homes, I got hit with a problem with them, right away.

What they are supposed to do: Put SCBA into seat bracket, push back so the top can lock down on the air bottle, in one easy step.

Problem: Ain't happening.

Why: It seems that the bottles the FF's are using, are too short. When you try to capture the bottle with the locking device, it is hitting the harness that carries/holds the air bottle. And with that, it won't capture and lock it. Even after adjusting the top locking collar/device down to it's limit, you still have to maneuver the bottle, and close it by hand. And even still, the bottles are still very loose, or still will not stay in place.

FF equipment: Scott 4.5 30 minute bottles and Airpack harnesses.

Question: Have any of you all that have them have the same problems, or are you using taller air bottles with different harnesses???
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

FIREMECH,

We have these planned for our new rig. Do you think it would still be a problem for Scott 4500 45min bottles?

Forum Member

We have the 4.5 45-minute cylinders. Works great.

MembersZone Subscriber

Great, we thought these would be the best things going. Anyone used them with wire frame Scott 4.5's? We have a mix of the AP50's and older wire frames (by far my favorite) using 30 min. cylinders.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
    FF equipment: Scott 4.5 30 minute bottles and Airpack harnesses.

Question: Have any of you all that have them have the same problems, or are you using taller air bottles with different harnesses???
    Have you called Bostrom for help? Your equipment is not unique and there are few new such problems in the world.

Forum Member

Adam,You'll find out before we do,hehe T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Question Pierce seats?

Any comments on the pierce hands free seats? I understand that it is totally hands free and you can buy them and have them installed on any chasis. Curious if they work as cool as they sound?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firebill911 View Post
    Any comments on the pierce hands free seats? I understand that it is totally hands free and you can buy them and have them installed on any chasis. Curious if they work as cool as they sound?
    Nice set-up, but only available on pierce. Also moves the seats further back from the wall and reduces legroom quite a bit.

Forum Member

We recently upgraded all of our SCBA's to the Scott NXG7 with 45 minute, 4500 bottles. Shortly after I changed all the seat brackets to the ZICO QLM system. http://www.ziamatic.com/catalog.php?item_id=47740
    They work great, hold the bottles tight and I have had no complaints.
    I could see the 30 minute, 2216 bottles being a problem with most of the newer brackets out there due to the very small diameter.

Forum Member

The actual problem is the 30m bottles height. When the locking cover comes down, they hit the wire framed harness first.

I just got wind that the FD has new SCBA's ordered. Not sure what the specifics are. Bottles, bottles and harnesses?? Until we get them, they'll just have to put up with the looseness and noise of them banging around.

FM1

Forum Member

Default SCBA Ejection Seats

EJECT! EJECT! EJECT!

I got the chance to play with them on a demo and we had no problems what so ever. Not to mention the guys love the, We specked them on our new tiller, and are considering retro-fitting our 07 Engine that curently has the Zico mechanicle/spring clamps with the pull lever (can't remember what they're called) The ZICO work....but they are problematic as far as not releasing or locking down on the bottle the hole way and the pack falls out driving dwown the road if no ones in the seat.
    It takes a little intelligence to enjoy humor,satire & wit, but none to be offended by it.

It take more than a new Leather Helmet to make you a good officer

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firebill911 View Post
    We had just received a new Impel with the Pierce Hands Free Brackets. Everyone likes them as there is nothing to remember to strap or pull prior to ejection. The air packs lock in securely and there is no risk of masks launching themselves due to collision. Only complaint was the price. It was a $700 per seat upgrade!!! Probably $200 for the bracket and $500 for liability insurance these days.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by neiowa View Post
    Have you called Bostrom for help? Your equipment is not unique and there are few new such problems in the world.
    This is certainly the route to take. I'd guess that Scott holds the US market on SCBA, so having their products not fit securely will hurt sales of the seats, I'm betting Bostrom will want to rectify this.

Forum Member

Well, it took as many days that I opened this thread from the graveyard, that today I got a reply from H.O. Bolstrom.

They sent me a PDF of all the adjustments, and in what order to do them, for different sized SCBA bottles. I'll be taking care of this tomorrow.

The fact that they have a site, and yet no information on how the system works, nor the adjustability of it, is really a thorn in my side.

If anyone has this set up, and needs the info for adjusting it, let me know, I'll pass it along.

FM1

Forum Member

We just took delivery of our new tanker with the Bostrom seats. I believed we had the adjustment procedure in hand, but wanted to be absolutely sure before trying to make the adjustments. We called the customer service number off of their website Friday evening and spoke with a rep there. Within 5 minutes, we received a fax with the adjustment instructions. I found that they were very friendly and easy to work with. Stay safe.

Kelly

Thread Information