Forum Member

Default Training Requirements NFPA 1001

OK, I just had a neighboring chief tell me that as of February 1 we have to have 100 percent of our firefighters certified to NFPA 1001 level in order to get a grant.

Can someone confirm this? I looked in the PG and have not found where it required but it does say that They anticipate that the review panelists will not recommend awarding the grants for depts where membership is not fully trained.

How many small volunteer departments have 100 percent trained?
    SPFD 1800
    MABAS DIV 54

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BARNY750 View Post
    OK, I just had a neighboring chief tell me that as of February 1 we have to have 100 percent of our firefighters certified to NFPA 1001 level in order to get a grant.

Can someone confirm this? I looked in the PG and have not found where it required but it does say that They anticipate that the review panelists will not recommend awarding the grants for depts where membership is not fully trained.

Not true. Address the issue in the narrative as the second question asks if not fully "trained" to NFPA 1001. For a volunteer department have a statement such as "The ZFD is a volunteer department and reaching 100% will be difficult as firefighters come and go. The department currently is at X%." If you are not requesting funds to comply with NFPA 1001 explain how the firefighters are getting to that point, in-house training, academy classes etc.

The only way to get denied a grant, is a department that comes out and states basically they won't works towards compliance.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BARNY750 View Post
    I know of at least one.

earl

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Greenacres2 View Post
    I know of at least one.

earl
    About 90% here.....(its not 100, but close!!)

MembersZone Subscriber

This is how I addressed NFPA 1001 in my narrative. Any feedback is welcome.

Currently 100% of our firefighting staff is trained to the basic NFPA 1001 standards. As a volunteer department we will continue to work diligently to ensure that this standard is met, even with new firefighters joining on a regular basis. This standard has been met by providing in house training as well as through our local fire academy.

Forum Member

Onebugle: You mean you put that in the part of the application where it asks about 1001 compliance (each item requested), Not the actual grant narrative, correct?

Forum Member

I guess the real question is will you be denied if you aren't. Most volly departments around here are not FF1 or FF2. But Ohio has a separate designation for Volunteer FFs. We comply 100% with Ohio's requirements, but not NFPA 1001.

So should I just explain it that way? Will I be punished for it? Does Ohio's requirement satisfy the "Essentials" training it mentions?

Forum Member

Anyone have any suggestions for my post above. Have more than 1 grant writer here wondering.

Thanks.

MembersZone Subscriber

It is my understanding that you will not be absolutely denied for not being 100% NFPA 1001. Don't forget that this also includes Essentials level not just FFII &III. If your state has a different requirement then as long as your dept. is working towards the standard and you state in your narrative that those who are not currently trained are working towards being trained then you should be OK. Also, it is my understanding that you do not have to be certified just trained to the standards.

Forum Member

Ok, that's what I was wondering. The Ohio VolFF cert teaches to the Essentials, so we would put yes? Is there an actual certification for Essentials?

Forum Member

I've been hearing all about this requirement, but I can't find any mention of it in my application! We're applying for a vehicle, is that why? I want to make sure I answer it (nothing like inadvertantly leaving such a thing at zero!) but I can't find it anywhere. Thoughts?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Engine683 View Post
    I've been hearing all about this requirement, but I can't find any mention of it in my application! We're applying for a vehicle, is that why? I want to make sure I answer it (nothing like inadvertantly leaving such a thing at zero!) but I can't find it anywhere. Thoughts?
    Probably not in the vehicles. I know it's in the equipment section.

MembersZone Subscriber

Web, I don't know about Ohio but if I am thinking correctly it is not a cert. class in IL. You just get credit and documentation of the training.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pmed19 View Post
    Web, I don't know about Ohio but if I am thinking correctly it is not a cert. class in IL. You just get credit and documentation of the training.
    So I am wondering, how does one get trained to essentials? Here is the question from the app....

Are all of your active firefighters trained to NFPA 1001 or equivalent (Firefighter I/Firefighter II, or essentials)?
    What is being trained to "essentials" mean?
    Last edited by WebFire; 03-30-2008 at 06:01 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

What is being trained to "essentials" mean?
    Those that have been in the fire service awhile, especially in New York and I'm sure other states, would have taken a class called "The Essentials of Firefighting."

It covered just that, the basics, raising ground ladders, rolling hose, wearing SCBA, tieing knots, using fire extinguishers, ect.

This is the Essentials. New York has moved beyond that and has aligned there classes more with the national FFI/ FF2 standards now.

I can only speculate that this is what they are referring to in the application.
    Dave
    Middlesex Hose Co.
    Middlesex NY

dharrington@middlesexny.org

http://www.middlesexfire.org

Forum Member

That's what I am thinking too, and if that is the case, then yes, Ohio does teach using the Essentials series. But I don't want to assume and put yes when I shouldn't be.

Any of the resident experts have any knowledge on this?

MembersZone Subscriber

We have four levels of essentials in IL. 1,2,3 &4 They cover all the stuff you mentioned. I put yes because all of our people are trained to these essentials levels and some to FFII. Even our newest guy that has only been on a month has completed his.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default NFPA 1001 and the grant

You will not find a box to check yes or no if your department meets or exceeds NFPA 1001. You have to list/write about this in your narrative statement. Whether you are going to a vehicle or just equipment you have to let the panel know you are doing some type of training along the lines of NFPA 1001. Remember if you are going for a vehicle you either have to request training or have a policy currently in place for driver/operator training. For NFPA 1001, write about what your departments current status, ie number of certified instructors, number of certified FFs that meet NFPA 1001, what is your department doing to provide training, what is your state doing to provide training. You DO NOT have to be 100 percent compliant with NFPA 1001 to get a grant, they just want to know you are doing something to reach such a goal.

Good luck

MembersZone Subscriber

Have a question... on NFPA 1001 it states that firefighters need annual medical and physical exam. Is everyone meeting this requirement. we do a yearly physical test but the medical runs about 400 to 600 dollars per firefighter and the city doesn't think it can afford the $20000 annual medical evaluation bill for all the tests stated in NFPA 1582. what are you guys doing?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptScott2904 View Post
    You will not find a box to check yes or no if your department meets or exceeds NFPA 1001. You have to list/write about this in your narrative statement.
    Hi Scott.

It actually IS exactly that. Copied from the application...

1*. Are all of your active firefighters trained to NFPA 1001 or equivalent (Firefighter I/Firefighter II, or essentials)? Yes or No
    If no, then you have to answer why in your narrative.

If not, will you be asking for training funds for this purpose with this application or will you obtain the appropriate training through other sources (if not, please address this training issue in your narrative)?
    Now, I don't know much about 1001, but if it also includes the physicals and what not, then we definately are not. We get a physical to get on the department, but that's it.

I am just very confused how and why to answer.

Forum Member

BTW, I am going to call the helpdesk and get some clarification. I'll post back what I find out.

Forum Member

Default confusion

Even if they confuse you more.. on stuff like this I gotten more than one answer and neither was the same. Document who you spoke with and time incasethere is a problem.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Good Catch

I stand corrected. It appears if you are applying under the operations section you must answer that question yes or no. But it seems they switch gears on you if you apply for a vehicle and only ask about a driver training program being in place. Good Catch WebFire, didn't see it until we started the second grant.

With only a few days to go, don't get hung up on the issue of NFPA 1001. They just want to know your department is moving forward in training and doing something. If your state or even county offers free training to FFs in the area of FF 1 and 2 list it as well, the number of FF 1 and 2 members you have now, certified instructors etc. Grant support folks do suggest you mention this briefly in your narrative....

Again, Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by WebFire View Post
    Hi Scott.

It actually IS exactly that. Copied from the application...

If no, then you have to answer why in your narrative.

Now, I don't know much about 1001, but if it also includes the physicals and what not, then we definately are not. We get a physical to get on the department, but that's it.

I am just very confused how and why to answer.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptScott2904 View Post
    I stand corrected. It appears if you are applying under the operations section you must answer that question yes or no. But it seems they switch gears on you if you apply for a vehicle and only ask about a driver training program being in place. Good Catch WebFire, didn't see it until we started the second grant.

With only a few days to go, don't get hung up on the issue of NFPA 1001. They just want to know your department is moving forward in training and doing something. If your state or even county offers free training to FFs in the area of FF 1 and 2 list it as well, the number of FF 1 and 2 members you have now, certified instructors etc. Grant support folks do suggest you mention this briefly in your narrative....

Again, Good luck
    Thanks Cap.

I plan on answering yes, as I think you are correct that they just want to be assured you are trained or have a plan to get everyone trained.

Not sure the question really means anything at all if they don't plan on giving it any weight. I know there are departments not far from me that don't train their firefighters, and alot of them are uncertified. But if they answered yes, they could claim they are working towards it.

Me thinks this is the beginning of something bigger perhaps?

Forum Member

Found this in the program guidance...

"The answers will not affect the preliminary screening of any application, but they will be available for consideration by the technical review panelists in their evaluation. We anticipate that the technical review panelists will not recommend awarding grants for applications where membership is not fully trained (commensurate with National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 1001 or an equivalent State standard) and where the applicant is not seeking funding to attain a minimum level of training for their membership."
    If you answer no, better have a good explanation of how you will acheive it! Luckily it also says "NFPA)1001 or an equivalent State standard" which allows me to answer yes. 100 % of our membership is trained to the state standard certification.

Thread Information