Default Any info on FF/PM jobs in Ohio!!!

I'm a Driver/Engineer and FF/PM in South Florida and may be moving to Ohio. I have no idea how the departments work anywhere in the state. I'm curious if anyone knows which are the largest and best paying in the state. And here are a few other questions:
    1) do they offer kelly days and how often?
    2) any info on pension/benefits?
    3) where i might find more info on ohio depts. as a whole
    4) what is with all of the max age requirements for applying?
    I am just curious and would appreciate any info...Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kkeith1212 View Post
    I'm a Driver/Engineer and FF/PM in South Florida and may be moving to Ohio. I have no idea how the departments work anywhere in the state. I'm curious if anyone knows which are the largest and best paying in the state. And here are a few other questions:
    1) do they offer kelly days and how often?
    2) any info on pension/benefits?
    3) where i might find more info on ohio depts. as a whole
    4) what is with all of the max age requirements for applying?
    I am just curious and would appreciate any info...Thanks
    Dont go to Ohio looking for a job. There are none fir firefighters

Forum Member

It would help to know what area of Ohio you are looking at. Northeast Ohio is very competitive right now due to the economy. Several suburbs in the Cincy and C-bus area seem to be growing still and are adding stations. There are no central places to find job openings but occasionally they have some posted on www.ohiofirechiefs.com, ohiofirefighters.org or monster.com. Your best bet to get in the door may be to go PT with a dept. and FT with a private until you can get in somewhere. Now to try to answer your other questions:
    1. Every dept. is different. Most offer kelly days every 3 or 6 weeks depending on their work week hours.
    2. Municipal departments have pension through Ohio Police and Fire while townships offer theirs through OPERS. Benefits are typically the same; 2 weeks vacation, uniform allowance, health care, etc.
    3. Look up departments individually.
    4. Some depts. cut off testing at around age 35. Many have no cap due to age descimination.

Good Luck!

Forum Member

Well the positive thing about Ohio right now is that a bunch of guys will be retiring in the next 2-3 years because of reaching the 8 yr max in the drop program, so there will be more opportunities to get hired than there are right now. But yeah, right now it is hard to get on anywhere in NE Ohio. Your experience might help you though. Past military is the other thing that seems to really help.

Most depts post their civil service exam notices in the papers, so if you check www.ohio.com (Akron), www.cleveland.com, and www.columbusdispatch.com regularly, you'll catch the notices. I don't know newspaper websites for the western half of the state.

There are also a bunch of part time openings posted on www.firerecruit.com that I haven't seen in the papers. You have to pay to join that site though.

Also, Don McNea Fire School has a list of every dept in the state, and its tentative testing schedule, dept size, starting pay, hiring criteria and maybe some other stuff. It gets out of date fast, but it is a good starting point. The website is www.fireprep.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Cleveland Fire

This website is full of info on the Cleveland Fire Dept. www.iafflocal93.org
    (Cleveland Has not given a test since 1998, and the last class hired was Feb in 2001.)Pay is average, benefits are great, job is incredible! Good luck.

Thread Information