Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default Dcfd Investigating How To Reduce 911 Calls

I wish them the best of luck, hope they can find a marketable and equitable solution.

Fire Department Seeks To Reduce Overuse Of 911

POSTED: 9:40 am EDT March 27, 2008
    UPDATED: 10:19 am EDT March 27, 2008

WASHINGTON -- The D.C. Fire and Emergency Medical Services Department will begin visiting the city's most frequent 911 callers this week in an effort to reduce unnecessary calls.

The department estimates that 49,000 of the calls it receives each year are for non-emergency situations.

Under the "Street Calls" program, paramedics will periodically check on residents who routinely call 911 for chronic but non-emergency health problems such as diabetes or mental illness.

Michael Williams, the department's chief medical officer, said some people are using the 911 system every other day.

City Administrator Dan Tangherlini says paramedics initially will start with the 20 most frequent 911 callers. They account for 10 percent of the city's 127,000 annual calls.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press.

OOOOW OOOWWW OOWW.. HELP. I've fallen and can't reach my beer. Call the FD, I need help.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Wink

Good Luck D.C. :-)
    ~But with God all things are possible. Matthew 19:26~

~The very worst fire plan is no plan. The next worse is two plans. ~

~Stay Safe! Everyone Goes Home!~

Forum Member

Sucks to be you! How about you hand out pistols, that will change things around. Man I hope the Court goes the right way!

MembersZone Subscriber dmleblanc's Avatar
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    City Administrator Dan Tangherlini says paramedics initially will start with the 20 most frequent 911 callers. They account for 10 percent of the city's 127,000 annual calls.

Whoa....Am I reading this right? There are 20 people who account for 10 percent of all the 911 calls? Wow....That's pretty amazing if you think about it....
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Quote Originally Posted by dmleblanc View Post
    Whoa....Am I reading this right? There are 20 people who account for 10 percent of all the 911 calls? Wow....That's pretty amazing if you think about it....
    Yeah, 20 people bor 12,000 calls a year? I got to call a little BS/exaggeration there. I can't believe anyone is calling on 911 twice a day every day.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyirons2 View Post
    Sucks to be you! How about you hand out pistols, that will change things around. Man I hope the Court goes the right way!
    Very clever...I now see this thread turning into a debate about guns.

Ya, I read that 20% thing too, with similar thoughts. However, I do know of one person in particular who recently moved into 22's area. Elderly woman with a mobility disability (not sure exactly what) whereupon she calls the FD 2 or 3 times per day, to make a public service request. Meaning she really does need help getting from her bed to the chair, to the rocker, back to bed again (or where ever else in the house she wants to be). This comes from one of my Vienna guys who is also DCFD, so its not just a tale told in a wind storm.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    Ya, I read that 20% thing too, with similar thoughts. However, I do know of one person in particular who recently moved into 22's area. Elderly woman with a mobility disability (not sure exactly what) whereupon she calls the FD 2 or 3 times per day, to make a public service request. Meaning she really does need help getting from her bed to the chair, to the rocker, back to bed again (or where ever else in the house she wants to be). This comes from one of my Vienna guys who is also DCFD, so its not just a tale told in a wind storm.
    That is when the city needs to assign a social worker. Unless she keeps the fridge stocked for the guys.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Ironically, the people who call for lift assists and such swear up and down that they don't need help and that they are "capable of taking care of themselves"....
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace View Post
    Yeah, 20 people bor 12,000 calls a year? I got to call a little BS/exaggeration there. I can't believe anyone is calling on 911 twice a day every day.
    Dennis, you are welcome to come ride with me. (unfortunately the dept doesn't allow it) We can share stories and take bets on when at least 3 of those citizens that live in my first due need their O2 bottle changed, need help to the bathroom, or they forgot to eat AGAIN and now need the D50 wake up call...

That is when the city needs to assign a social worker. Unless she keeps the fridge stocked for the guys.
    Ok sure, maybe they will assign the same social workers that forgot to check on the 4 dead kids? RIP

I have no problem believing this. I have two individuals currently in my first due that call 911 a minimum of once a shift and it isn't uncommon to transport one in the AM and run on them again in the PM.

Are these crews checking on these frequent callers on duty crews or special crews for this purpose. Phoenix Fire just put up new BLS two person units to run some of these calls and relieve the volume from the standard fire/ems companies.
    Last edited by aromania; 03-27-2008 at 03:22 PM.
    "The nation which forgets its defenders will be itself forgotten." - (John) Calvin Coolidge
    "Speed is not a good alternative to lack of knowledge." -armymedic571

That is not as far fetched as you may think. As a 911 dispatcher myself, I have talked to the same person for the 4th time this week tonight about needing to be picked up from the wheelchair to the bed. This happens on a daily basis and it is a total abuse of the system.

There is this elderly couple that the female has parkinson's, and he is a diabetic. They both like to fall down a lot and in just the last month we have been there 16 times so far in March. They are not quite bad enough to be in a home full time and not good enough to be on their own, and they slip through the cracks of Human Services. If they choose not to get home health care, the FD is it. It sucks big time.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Good thing's happening

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post
    That is not as far fetched as you may think. As a 911 dispatcher myself, I have talked to the same person for the 4th time this week tonight about needing to be picked up from the wheelchair to the bed. This happens on a daily basis and it is a total abuse of the system.

There is this elderly couple that the female has parkinson's, and he is a diabetic. They both like to fall down a lot and in just the last month we have been there 16 times so far in March. They are not quite bad enough to be in a home full time and not good enough to be on their own, and they slip through the cracks of Human Services. If they choose not to get home health care, the FD is it. It sucks big time.
    Dickey I agree with what you had to say just one part I didn't agree with was how the elderly couple likes to fall down a lot. I doubt they fall down on purpose and unfortunately they cannot help it when they fall down. But again it's sad how they slip through the cracks.

Rob

An update of sorts?

Cost Of Ambulance Ride To Nearly Double In District
    Cost Almost Doubles

POSTED: 11:52 am EDT March 31, 2008
    UPDATED: 12:19 pm EDT March 31, 2008

WASHINGTON -- Mayor Adrian Fenty has nearly doubled the cost of an ambulance ride in the city and has tacked on a new mileage charge.

Fenty last week increased the cost of basic life support from $268 to $530 per ambulance ride. He raised the cost of advanced life support from $471 to $832, and established a new $953 charge for "Advanced Life Support Level 2." He also added a fee of $6.06 per mile traveled.

The increases are expected to generate $7.2 million.

City officials said D.C.'s old fees were below average. D.C. recovers only 52 percent of the charges.

But D.C. Council member Phil Mendelson, who chairs the public safety committee, said the increases were rushed through and a public hearing on the issue was poorly publicized.

He said a new law taking effect in April will require the council to approve ambulance fee revisions.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press.

Thread Information