MembersZone Subscriber

Default Here's what you get when you buy equipment off Ebay

I would venture to guess that when you buy equipment off sites like ebay, especially when you get " a great deal", this is what you are getting.

Contractor admits swiping police-fire radios intended for 3 counties
    by Mike Frassinelli/The Star-Ledger
    Thursday March 27, 2008, 8:09 PM
    John P. Holmes said he didn't intend to swipe the more than three-dozen police and fire radios that went missing from the Warren County 911 Communications Center.

But when they ended up in his vehicle, the contractor from Pennsylvania couldn't resist the temptation to sell them to pay off his mounting bills, he told a judge today.

"When I noticed the equipment in the back of my truck, I failed as a responsible person to return them," said Holmes, 39, of Allentown, Pa., who pleaded guilty today to third-degree theft and agreed to pay back more than $58,000 for missing radios.

Holmes was hired last year to upgrade the fire sprinkler system as part of a renovation of the communications center in Franklin Township.

The 41 stolen radios, received through a grant, were to be disbursed in the Delaware River counties of Warren, Sussex and Hunterdon as part of a project to improve regional communication in the event of a natural disaster, authorities said.

The radios were reported missing on Nov. 2.

Radios were peddled on the eBay internet auction site, and some ended up as far away as Florida, authorities said.

Holmes told Superior Court Judge John Pursel that after he had fallen ill last year, he got behind in his electric and mortgage bill payments.

PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

MembersZone Subscriber

The local fire chief should "just not resist" when he has an urge to smack this guy. Idiot.

Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Thumbs down

Wow ........
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

John P. Holmes said he didn't intend to swipe the more than three-dozen police and fire radios that went missing from the Warren County 911 Communications Center.

But when they ended up in his vehicle, the contractor from Pennsylvania couldn't resist the temptation to sell them to pay off his mounting bills, he told a judge today.

I'm sure the radios just got up and walked into his truck for the ride....
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

George,

I wouldn't automatically paint Ebay with the same brush as this idiot. While you certainly have to expect some of this to go on, and some scamming to occur, many, many reputable businesses, and even some government auction agents now use Ebay. It is a great way for small and medium-sized businesses to advertise around the country and internationally, not to mention FD's trying to sell unique equipment with limited local markets.

For example, my corporate IT manager often buys and sells tens of thousands of dollars worth of lightly used computer and server equipment each year, saving the company thousands over traditional supply routes. As an experienced buyer, he has had very few negative experiences.

As always:

Caveat Emptor

Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Forum Member

e-bay can be hell for many people:false seller with money to send to other countries,so a huge BS.

for other people e-bay is great and secured site when you want to buy or sell something.
    "sauver ou périr"

"courage et dévouement"

2 french mottoes in french fire service.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by mcaldwell View Post
    George,

I wouldn't automatically paint Ebay with the same brush as this idiot. While you certainly have to expect some of this to go on, and some scamming to occur, many, many reputable businesses, and even some government auction agents now use Ebay. It is a great way for small and medium-sized businesses to advertise around the country and internationally, not to mention FD's trying to sell unique equipment with limited local markets.

For example, my corporate IT manager often buys and sells tens of thousands of dollars worth of lightly used computer and server equipment each year, saving the company thousands over traditional supply routes. As an experienced buyer, he has had very few negative experiences.

As always:

Caveat Emptor

Agree 100%.

My post was aimed at the whackers who find an incredible deal on fire equipment on ebay and then act completely surprised when the thing turns out to be stolen or less than advertised quality.

Forum Member

Am I the only one who picked up on the fact that this guys name is John Holmes?

Forum Member

I picked up on that, too.

The Town of Weymouth in MA sold their fire alarm boxes on ebay and made some pretty good money.

Plenty of "touchers" (That is my term for a whacker) out there to buy this stuff.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyirons2 View Post
    Am I the only one who picked up on the fact that this guys name is John Holmes?
    Thanks jonny, i just spit my cereal all over my computer screen.
    SFPD Member MABAS Division 47
    Told my wife I'm at work. Told my boss I'm sick. I'm really at the fire station.
    I.A.C.O.J.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MassFireGuy View Post
    I picked up on that, too.

The Town of Weymouth in MA sold their fire alarm boxes on ebay and made some pretty good money.

Plenty of "touchers" (That is my term for a whacker) out there to buy this stuff.
    I am not even talking about memorabilia (as I'm sure most of the boxes went to collectors). But if you were able to buy a brand new portable radio for an incredibly low price, wouldn't you consider the possibility it may have been procured via five finger discount?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    I am not even talking about memorabilia (as I'm sure most of the boxes went to collectors). But if you were able to buy a brand new portable radio for an incredibly low price, wouldn't you consider the possibility it may have been procured via five finger discount?
    Actually, George, with the size of the boom boxes sold today, it's more of a ten fingered discount!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    I would assume so...

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Let's see, a contractor who was hired to upgrade the sprinkler system had 41 radios just "end up" in the back of his truck....Then he "failed to return them". But he didn't steal them.

Is this guy any relation to the Clintons?
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Thread Information