Forum Member

Default I Need Help!!! Ha Ha

My Department Recently built a new station in another community in our service aera... the problem is we dont have another engine to equip that stations and our frontline engine is a 1972 ford front mount pump... its a grea truck and we love it but we need another truck and would like to move that truck to the new station and get a new truck for our main station.... and the dealio is... ive NEVER done a grant before and i know i dont have long to get this afg done and i dont know the first place to start.... and help at all is greatly appricated... my email is rico19891129@gmail.com and if u want email me and ill give you my cell number...

thanks!!!

Forum Member

Default Another option

If the grant application does not work you can always try the GSAXCESS site, the often have used trucks that are newer than your current pumper. Granted you may have to go get the truck but they are free to your fire dept.

Forum Member

Am I missing something here? You were able to "fund" building a new firehouse substation...with no plan on how to put an engine in it?

In all honesty...IMO...you have 0 chance of being awarded an engine through the AFG program. You would need an exceptional narrative that would explain/justify the reasoning behind what you did. Good Luck to you.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

NO WE DIDNT BUILD A NEW BUILDING! lets just clear that up... i wrote a very good narrative and now our front line engine just went out of service after the trany screwed up and we dont have the funds to fix it... so if this guy thinks i have 0 chance at a new truck where else is a good place to try and get some aid.... our new station was built by the village that it is in. it is a multi purpose building fire station/ city utilitys building sorry i didnt clear it up earlier...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sidizzle1129 View Post
    ive NEVER done a grant before and i know i dont have long to get this afg done and i dont know the first place to start....
    I'm alittle confused also in your first post you mention that you've never written a grant and don't know where to start, and then in your reply to "Bones" you state ...
    "i wrote a very good narrative and now our front line engine just went out of service after the trany screwed up and we dont have the funds to fix it... "

As a peer reviewer I would recommend getting in the habit of always being clear as possible in any requests you make, a confusing narrative will not score high enough to be considered for an award

Good luck to you in your endeavor
    [FONT=Times New Roman]Douglas R. Patton
    IACOJ
    "Omnis Cedo Domus"
    I am now a former Chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone.
    Isaiah 6:8

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Sidizzle1129 View Post
    My Department Recently built a new station in another community in our service aera...
    Easy there Sid, Bones was only going off what you said. Narrative is very important, but if the runs, population, fleet, budget, territory and everything else don't line up--the narrative won't be read to start with. Only about 2 out of 10 truck apps make it to peer review, and only about half of those are funded--so in the best of all worlds...it's a long shot. If the lead comment is "we just built a new station..." it would plant the wrong seed in the peer review panel.

Next issue is that (per the Program Guidance) higher priority will be given to departments that are replacing unsafe equipment. And...when they say replacing, they mean taking the vehicle out of emergency service period, even for other departments and locations. On top os that, the "unsafe" vehicle has to be disposed of (sold, auctioned, scrapped, whatever) before the grant can be closed out (12 month performance period from award). Chances are that apps that aren't taking a truck completely out of service will not be funded. Moving a truck to a different station as a reserve or for any other purpose doesn't constitute disposing of it.

There's a lot of knowledgable and helpful people on this forum and most of them will step in to help. But...in the last week before closing, it's tough for most of us to add anything new to the pile. Hang around, read the threads, get to one of Kurt or Brian's seminars, and your chances of scoring will improve. Good luck.

earl

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by pikehole25 View Post
    If the grant application does not work you can always try the GSAXCESS site, the often have used trucks that are newer than your current pumper. Granted you may have to go get the truck but they are free to your fire dept.
    pikepole,

Could you give me some more info on this??? This might be something our little department would like to explore. I did a google search for GSAXCESS and came up with a site but as I have come to find, whoever builds goverment websites doesn't always make them the most user friendly or easiest to navigate.

Thanks for all the help. I think I set my profile to email me. If not you can email me at rahn at abbott dot net

Thread Information