Forum Member

Default Headsets and statutory compliance

When you are applying for headsets and intercom systems which of the three boxes do you mark.

A. Will bring into statutory compliance

B. Will bring into voluntary compliance

C. Will bring into state compliance

We are applying for intercom systems for our 3 5 ton 6x6 trucks and 2 pumpers. The 5 tons you cannot hear anything when you ride in them. That makes it kind of hard to communicate when responding and when you are at grass fires. Are there NFPA standards for this?

Forum Member

Couldn't get my search to work when I posted this. After I posted I was able to search. The answer I am putting is B voluntary compliance with NFPA 1500 Noise reduction to 24db. Anyone else have any other suggestions. I am putting this in with 8 new alphanumeric radios that will replace our old 2 channel motorollas so we can program in the new mutual aid tactical channels that the state is setting up. Hopefully we will get funded.

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile Headsets

It would be statuatory and is covered in OSHA 1910.95 and also covered in NFPA 1901 (2003) section 14.1.7 and NFPA 1500 (2007) section 7.18.1. The USFA also has a publication that can be downloaded on hearing conservation.

Good luck

If you have any questions e-mail me at bainterg@webstergroves.org

Forum Member

as required by NFPA 1500 (5-11.1) “Hearing protection shall be provided for and used by all members operating or riding on fire apparatus when exposed to potentially harmful (+90db, a level well exceeded in our operations) noise levels”, As well as OSHA 29 CFR 1910.95 Occupational Noise Exposure Standards

This is what I used for same equipment

Rich

Forum Member

Default How to list

I'm looking at equipping 8 trucks with intercom systems and headsets. 2 of the trucks seat 2, 5 trucks seat 3 and 1 truck seats 5. Do I just come up with an average cost per truck and then put down that I need 8 units? Or do I have 24 units (headsets) and list the intercom system under other?

Forum Member

I would apply for (8) units and break it down in the narrative. The headsets are the lesser of the cost, the intercom and installation are the biggies, just figure the cost of the (5) seater and use that as a "budget" number for all 8. If you where applying for radios, would you apply for 8 radios and 8 mikes, nope, they are a system. Apply for (8) intercom "systems" and leave it at that, no need to detail the seat count, just justify the need for the systems in your narrative.

Rich

Forum Member

What price have you got for your intercom systems. From the firecom site it looks like around $3250 per vehicle. 3 position/headset. 2 exterior plugs. That is a dual radio set up.

Forum Member

Default Also got my prices off the Firecom site

Single radio - have 5 trucks with 3 headsets and 1 external, 1 truck with 2 headsets and 1 external, a truck with 5 headsets - no external. It averages out to around $2,600 per truck.

Thread Information