Forum Member

Question NFPA standards for Thermal Imagers

I am trying to find any NFPA standards that can be used to justify a thermal imaging camera. Any suggestions?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by efd828 View Post
    I am trying to find any NFPA standards that can be used to justify a thermal imaging camera. Any suggestions?
    TIC's are not mentioned directly within NFPA standards, but indirectly.

NFPA 1500

8.8 Rapid Intervention for Rescue of Members.

8.8.2.1 Each RIC shall be fully equipped with protective clothing, protective equipment, SCBA, and any specialized rescue equipment that could be needed given the specifics of the operation under way.

MembersZone Subscriber

It depends who you are justifying it to. At this point most departments have access to Thermal Imaging Cameras (TIC) even if it is through a mutual aid agreement. Before I get bashed yes, it may take a while. If your town board was taken to court, can they explain why you don't have a TIC on your truck when every department around you does? It not only decreases your possible rescue time, but it allows you to evaluate for extension with out causing additional damage. This reduces the loss paid by your customer's insurance as well as calls to town hall when you rip a wall open and find nothing. It can also be utilized though "interoperability" in search and recovery with the police agencies in your area. Many uses all depends on who is asking or who is possibly being listed in a legal document.

Forum Member

Currently there is no NFPA standard in place for Thermal Imaging Cameras; however, NFPA Draft Standard 1801 is in process.

Forum Member

There was an NFA/USFA study a few years ago on RIT, which spoke to the need for TIC's. I don't know if I can find a copy, but I'll dig-up what I can...

Here it is: Thermal Imaging Camera - While not specifically mandated by any regulation or standard, the USFA's Technical Report TR-123 (March 2003) "Rapid Intervention Teams" identifies a thermal imaging camera among the minimum equipment needs of a RIT Team.
    Last edited by DFDCar1; 03-31-2008 at 03:56 PM.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."

George S. Patton

Forum Member

Does anybody have a good TIC Narrative that has won that they dont mind sharing with me. Thanks
    louannfd1@hotmail.com

Forum Member

Cool

Me, too...I just found out today (no time like the last minute, right!!) that I have to submit a TIC application -- so, if anyone has any wonderful sample narratives they'd like to share, please e-mail me at theruffs@maxiis.com.
    Thanks!

Thread Information