Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Cool Training/Safety Question

My department is thinking about doing baseline vitals (blood pressure, pulse, pulse ox and resp.) before any member does any physical activity during drills. Are any other departments doing this? If a member if found outside the higher limits predetermined by the department, what is the liability if the member is exculded from the training excerise but responds to a call and has a heart attack or something worse occurs?

Forum Member

If you are going to do something like this, I would try to find reference material that supports this sort of action. NFPA 1001, 1002, OSHA respiratory protection standards and interpretations.

Also if they aren't fit to drill, then why would you want them responding to a call for service. I don't think "because we really needed them" is a valid answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Geinandputitout View Post
    If you are going to do something like this, I would try to find reference material that supports this sort of action. NFPA 1001, 1002, OSHA respiratory protection standards and interpretations.

Also if they aren't fit to drill, then why would you want them responding to a call for service. I don't think "because we really needed them" is a valid answer.
    I agree. If they are not in shape to do the drills, then why are they on the fire department? You should have a general firefighter physical every year and let that catch the ones that need help in their conditioning.
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Forum Member

We take vitals prior to, durring and post training. Anyone with vitals outside the departments limits go straight to our workers comp clinic for eval and cannot come back to duty without a doc's note, even if they haven't started training yet. There are time gaps between checks durring and after training but I can't remember off hand. I don't go back to work for another month, just had a baby, but when I do I'll PM you our protocol.
    If your going to cry about doing the job you signed up for do us all a favor and quit, there are plenty of dedicated people standing in line for the best job in the world.

Firefighter/Paramedic

MembersZone Subscriber

I think the word for this practice is "progressive"

Thread Information