Forum Member

Default Problems with high idle on E-one aerials...

Please note: this is a serious request.. no "Ewon't or "shoulda bought a Pierce/seagrave/metz/RK or other manufacturer jokes", please.

Has anyone with an E-one had a problem with the high idle kicking in when the transmission is put into drive?

Earlier in the day, the outriggers were pressure washed as the rig was going for service and body work due to a minor accident earlier in the year.

We had this happen this afternoon while going to a call. After releasing the maxibrakes, the ladder company driver placed it into drive and the high idle kicked in.

The maintenance personnel pulled the two high idle relays, reinserted them and apparently the engine management computer system reset itself. The thought is that water may have gotten into the wiring harness during the pressure washing and causing the problem.

Your thoughts/opinions?
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

gonzo:

Any more details on the Year, model, Multiplexed or hardwired? Not that I can answer your question but troubleshooting Electronic questions like this you need the details. (I do that for a living for IBM) The more details the quicker you will get the answers you are looking for.

Forum Member

It's a 1999 E-One 110' aerial on a Hurricane chassis with a Cummins ISC 450 HP engine, and Allison 5 auto tranny and it is hardwired.

On another note, we spoke with our E-one dealer's service guru and he believes that moisture may have gotten into a wiring harness, causing a problem.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    It's a 1999 E-One 110' aerial on a Hurricane chassis with a Cummins ISC 450 HP engine, and Allison 5 auto tranny and it is hardwired.

On another note, we spoke with our E-one dealer's service guru and he believes that moisture may have gotten into a wiring harness, causing a problem.
    That's exactly what it was... moisture from pressure washing somehow entered one of wiring harnesses, causing the problem. The truck is now back in service.
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Ok since you solved the problem with your E-Wont, NOW I'll say it.......You shoulda bought an Aerialscope!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Yeah! On a MACK!hehe T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

One of the 1st lessons I recall from days in the Army was "don't go anywhere near ANY wires or hoses with the pressure washer" Worked as a good rule of thumb for high dollar armor vehicles what get a LOT grungier than any fire truck will ever be.

Was thinking the same last week at the delivery of a new $960000 Bronto. Drive was thru a snow storm and truck was dirty. Directly into washbay and meeting with a pressure washer.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    Yeah! On a MACK!hehe T.C.
    What no METZ ????????
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Werju,Concentrate! Concentrate! 'Scope! On a ..........MACK! Yes,I STILL LOVE the Metz,but I'm outvoted and getting a Smeal! And guess what? We still win!And even though Tony isn't getting his Porsche(I don't know how we'd get him out anyway)we're still talking to each other.Of course if this WAS a Mack/'scope from the 70's you COULD pressure wash it and it would still work.But I'm dating myself,T.C.

Thread Information