Forum Member

Default Ladder truck grants, anyone ever get one?

I am wondering if anyone knows of anyone that ever recieved a grant for a new ladder truck? Talking a stright ladder here, not a quint. If there has been how much did they get from FEMA?

MembersZone Subscriber

great question. I'm looking for the same answer... just decided that they want to put in for a ladder truck but it's not a priority for rural departments. Don't want a quint. Have 7 structures over 4 stories; five at least 10 stories. Our permanent population is 19788 in 64 sq. miles, however, we have a population of 8,200 10 months of the year at the state college that is smack dab in the middle of our district. There is a need for a 110' stick; none the long around us -- we are it currently. App program says we are rural but with increased population due to college could we justify suburban?
    Last edited by ksmith31; 03-30-2008 at 05:41 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ksmith31 View Post
    great question. I'm looking for the same answer... just decided that they want to put in for a ladder truck but it's not a priority for rural departments. Don't want a quint.
    I don't know if there have been any ladder trucks funded.

But, It is well documented by the grant gurus that, up to current year, there has never been an award for any vehicles not listed in the priority one category of the DHS guidance document.

Priority One - Rural Communities

Pumper
    Brush/Attack
    Tanker/Tender
    Quint (Aerial < 76')

In this case, if you are a rural department, you might be successful for a 75 ft stick.

Theoretically, there is a slim possibility that could change as more priority one vehicles get replaced across the country. But for my money, I wouldn't bet on it. Vehicle apps are incredibility competitive. And there is a lot of very old fire apparatus out there.

From my prospective, you are probably wasting your time if it is not a priority one vehicle you are replacing.

Even then you have to have a bullet proof application, simply because of the shear cost of a ladder truck. These trucks are so expensive that it makes it had to get past the cost vs. benefit.

Also since the application period is only open for another 4 / 5 days, it would be hard to put together a quality application in that amount of time.

But hey don't let me stop you, if you really have a need!
    Last edited by hdavid66; 03-30-2008 at 06:03 PM.
    Dave
    Middlesex Hose Co.
    Middlesex NY

dharrington@middlesexny.org

http://www.middlesexfire.org

Forum Member

The other possibility is to argue in your narrative that you are a suburban department that happens to cover a large rural area as well

Suburban has ladder as a priority 1 vehicle.

Forum Member

I am on the opposite end, I feel that I am a rural, but the computer says that I am suburban. Pop of 8200 in 42 sq miles, 28 structures of 4 story or above. I was hoping to put in for a brush/attack unit, but is not a priority 1for suburban. Roughly 75% of my district can be classified as interface. The gurus feel its best not to go against what FEMA puts you as.

Forum Member

We are in the other boat.....every year before now we have been rural, this year we are suburban....there must have been a change in the computer scoring, we are 104sq miles with 15,000 pop.....we are applying for a quint again, i think we have a better shot classified as suburban.....right?

Forum Member

I would say so according to the matrix for vehicles.

MembersZone Subscriber

FG07 there have been 17 vehicle grants $600000 or more. 37 vehicle grants $450000 or more. With such a price likely most, if not all, are aerial of some type.

MembersZone Subscriber

so do you think it is worth a shot to change from rural to suburban and plead my change in the narrative or is that just shooting myself in the foot? None of the trucks in the priority 1 matrix suit our needs.

Forum Member

I know most people who applied for a vehicle in the past that was not a P1 in their category never made peer. A few slip by, but that's the general rule.

Forum Member

Default A couple years ago a district in Saline County Ks got a quint

I believe that a rural fire district in Saline County (east of Salina) received a grant for a quint. Fairly rural but have a number of large 2 story houses on 5 acre estates.

Forum Member

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: August 8, 2007

HARTFORD FIRE DEPARTMENT RECEIVES FEDERAL FIRE GRANT

HARTFORD – U.S. Congressman John B. Larson (CT-1) today announced a federal grant award of $601,000 to the City of Hartford from the Assistance to Firefighters Grant program at the Hartford Fire Department Headquarters. Larson, who wrote to the Department of Homeland Security in support of the grant, and Federal Emergency Management Administration (FEMA) Region 1 Administrator Art Cleaves presented Hartford Mayor Eddie Perez and Hartford Police Chief Charles Teale with a mock check representing the grant in front of the outdated 100 foot ladder truck that will be replaced with the funding.

Chief Teale stated, “This grant will be utilized to help purchase a new Tower Ladder. The apparatus it will replace was purchased in 1979. At 28 years of age it does not adequately protect the Firefighters on the apparatus and is prone to frequent breakdowns, which presents a danger to citizens who rely on a timely response. This funding will greatly enhance our ability to respond to emergencies region wide and will allow the Department to otherwise allocate financial resources for Fire Prevention purposes. The Assistance to Firefighter Grant program has aided the Hartford Fire Department in the past as we pursued the resources necessary to be of service to the residents of our City but this allocation is unparallel in the 218 year history of our organization. This will go a long way as we face the challenges related to maintaining our Class 1 rating. I would like to thank Congressman Larson for his continued diligence and dedication when it comes to saving lives and protecting property.”

Thread Information