MembersZone Subscriber

Default Starting Gas powered equipment inside the bay

Does anyone have an SOG/SOP about starting gasoline powered equipment inside the truck bay with/without the bay doors open??

Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

Common Sense?

No but generally we try to avoid doing this. kinda goes against everything we teach people, about running gas engines in doors. the chief would rather we skip a check for one day if the weather is absolutely horrible than take a chance. If there is no alternative to starting something inside ie. maintance trouble shooting, our work shop has a power vent or we can manually start the station filter system.

Forum Member

Open a bay door. There's got to be some place to start the saw so you don't get yourself wet if the weather's all poo poo.

If I was stuck on the other side of burglar bars or stuck in a fire that needed a hole in the roof, I'd be real comforted that the truckies didn't get themselves wet because the weather was bad. Jesus Christ.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by lakebum2 View Post
    Does anyone have an SOG/SOP about starting gasoline powered equipment inside the truck bay with/without the bay doors open??

Thanks
    Do you really NEED to have an SOP/SOG about this? You check the equipment each and every shift. Poo Poo weather or not. You dont NOT go to fires in poo poo, do you?

Just check the friggen equipment, and do it outside when the Driver/Operator pulls the rig out to do HIS checks. If the weather is Poo Poo, do it with the doors open. If whoever moans and ****es about it being cold, tell them that hospital rooms are usually cold too, and morgues are even colder.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Let's talk fire trucks!

Yea, what everyone else said!
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by johnny46 View Post
    Open a bay door. There's got to be some place to start the saw so you don't get yourself wet if the weather's all poo poo.

If I was stuck on the other side of burglar bars or stuck in a fire that needed a hole in the roof, I'd be real comforted that the truckies didn't get themselves wet because the weather was bad. Jesus Christ.
    I konow this seem stupid, but some firefighters just don't think!!! I am also doing a research paper and it's one of the topics. Thanks for your reply
    Chief Wade

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Do you really NEED to have an SOP/SOG about this? You check the equipment each and every shift. Poo Poo weather or not. You dont NOT go to fires in poo poo, do you?

Just check the friggen equipment, and do it outside when the Driver/Operator pulls the rig out to do HIS checks. If the weather is Poo Poo, do it with the doors open. If whoever moans and ****es about it being cold, tell them that hospital rooms are usually cold too, and morgues are even colder.
    Thank you for your reply! Your are correct "Check Your Equipment" no matter what! I am doing a research paper on this project. Again Thanks for your reply
    Chief Wade

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by efd1524 View Post
    Common Sense?

No but generally we try to avoid doing this. kinda goes against everything we teach people, about running gas engines in doors. the chief would rather we skip a check for one day if the weather is absolutely horrible than take a chance. If there is no alternative to starting something inside ie. maintance trouble shooting, our work shop has a power vent or we can manually start the station filter system.
    I agree this should be avoided!! I am doing a reserch paper on this project and just put this out to see what I would get. You know some of the SOP's seem so childess but firefighters do some of the most stupi things!! Like filling the station with CO while checking the small engine equipment.

Thank
    Chief Wade

Forum Member

It's not like I thought of this in a vacuum. I had the benefit of excellent officers, and can stand on the shoulders of giants.

MembersZone Subscriber

hey.... you know they have the exhaust vents that hook up to the engine's tailpipes in the station... propose you buy some that hook up to the gas powered tools in the bay. that would fix EVERYTHING...
    The Box. You opened it. We Came...

"You'll take my life but I'll take your's too. You'll fire musket but I'll run you through. So when your waiting for the next attack, you'll better understand there's no turn back."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JHR1985 View Post
    hey.... you know they have the exhaust vents that hook up to the engine's tailpipes in the station... propose you buy some that hook up to the gas powered tools in the bay. that would fix EVERYTHING...
    Then you can attach it to the fundamental orifice of that person whose been eating too much cabbage or beans...

Just turn on the bay ventilators (if you have them) or simply OPEN THE BLOODY DOORS.
    "Professional" means your attitude to the job...

Nullus Anxietas ..... (T Pratchett)

Forum Member

some of the crap people come up with around here amazes me!!! Open the bay door for god sake! And so what if there is a little bit of smoke from a hurst power unit or something in the truck bay!!!!! waaaaaaaaa Maybe you should come up with another SOP/SOG for how to deal with crybabies! If your affriad of a little exhaust from an engine and you think it has created an IDLH in the truck bay then you should probably go put your mask on and don't forget to make sure you have your hood on, and a partner watching your every move just in case!

MembersZone Subscriber

SOP-Research paper!??!? Are you F*(king serious?

Why not actually do a paper on something that will contribute something positive to our jobs...like a staffing study or one on the positive aspects of VES or the vast inefficencies found in using quints...etc.

Just yell at the A-hole doing it... "HEY A@@Hole open the F@#%ing door!" next time. If that doesn't work...hit him with a bucket of ice water next time.

The Hand holding in here must have reached an all time high with this thread.

FTM-PTB

EuroFirefighter

Quote Originally Posted by FFFRED View Post
    SOP-Research paper!??!? Are you F*(king serious?
    FTM-PTB
    LOLLL FFRED!

Anyway .... this has all been addressed

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/co/

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by efd1524 View Post
    the chief would rather we skip a check for one day if the weather is absolutely horrible than take a chance.
    You've got to be shi**ing me.

Start the equipment, either with the door open, or outside if you don't want the exhaust in the bay.

If you're afraid of getting wet, then do it inside and quit ******ing and moaning about the exhaust, at least you'll stay dry.

You gonna melt?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile Sop?sog

Thanks for all the replies, You go to college to get smarter and wind up having to do stupid things!! Well too you know fireman do stupid stuff around the firehouse!! Again thanks for alllllllllll the info.

Thread Information