Forum Member

Default Scott SCBAs - Voice Amp?

Why is it that the Scott SCBA voice amplifiers need a separate power source and on/off button?

The HUD is supplied by 2 AAs and it is only on when you have air in the system. The voice amp has a separate on/off and our batteries tend to drain quickly. Why not have the Voice Amp activated when the PASS device/HUD device is operational?

Forum Member

Lightbulb

If you leave the batteries on, they will drain. Teach your personnel to make sure they are off. Batteries should be changed regularly anyways. They are inexpensive compared to what our lives are worth!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Besides....I would rather have one or the other go out and not both at one time.
    I do wish that the power light was better situated to remind you to turn it off. But none the less, we should remember to turn it off and save the batteries.
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Forum Member

The batteries get left on. It happens. They get changed regularly, but sometimes the amp is dead.

It just seems unnecessary to have to turn the voice amp on if you have electronics already being turned on on the regulator. I was wondering if there is a reason for this, or if it just is something the thoughtful people at Scott have not gotten around to.

Forum Member

Best answer I could think of, is sometimes you don't want some things you say heard.

makes good girls go bad

Mask off, amp off. I have a Draeger mask with amp, and I have adopted this little saying. It is tough to get used to, but thats what equipment checks in the am are for!
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FatherPierce View Post
    Why is it that the Scott SCBA voice amplifiers need a separate power source and on/off button?

The HUD is supplied by 2 AAs and it is only on when you have air in the system. The voice amp has a separate on/off and our batteries tend to drain quickly. Why not have the Voice Amp activated when the PASS device/HUD device is operational?

Two seperate pieces of equipment. And voice amp can still be used when mask on but not on air.

New Scott voice amp has auto power off when not in use (assist those too dumb to shut off for themselves)..

Forum Member

Hi; We just purchased two SCOTT Epic Voice amps, and adapters for SCBA masks on one of our apparatus. How are you storing the voice amps in the apparatus? Attached to the mask? Or in a separate bag or holder of some type? Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

We bought a Pelican Case to store our 16 Scott voice Amps. Just pluck out the foam you need to remove and they can be stored with the switch and indicator light in the upright position so you can take a glance and see that they are all off.

MembersZone Subscriber

remembering to turn off your voice amp is no different than remembering how to turn off your pass. when they went to the integrated devices we all had to learn to bleed off the air then turn off the pass. this is no different.

do you guys not leave the amps on the masks? isnt it just easier to leave them mounted?
    Your a daisy if you do.

Forum Member

Were a small department and just have 2 voice amps for now, not everybody has one yet. Were just getting SCBA masks for everyone this year, long time coming. I'm thinking of hanging the voice amps from the ceiling in SCBA bags so you only have to open the bag and take it out. We hang our SCBA bags in the apparatus and that has worked out well.
    Ed

MembersZone Subscriber

I carry a spare 9v battery with me just in case I forget to shut mine off. haven't had to use it yet but just in case.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

MembersZone Subscriber

One reason why they are separated is because the amp is not designed for submergence in water.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hatchmaster View Post
    One reason why they are separated is because the amp is not designed for submergence in water.
    I didn't think that any of it was made to go for a swim!!
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Forum Member

I agree with THEFIRENUT, we ain't swimming here either. Thanks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FatherPierce View Post

Did Scott change things? Ours take 1 9V for the HUD and 2 9Vs for the PASS.
    BE A BACKBONE - NOT A JAWBONE

Forum Member

The "EPIC VOICE AMPS" by Scott are stand-alone voice amplifiers that attach to a bracket mounted on the AV-2000 or AV-3000 mask models. They can be moved easily from one mask to another if you have the brackets on all the masks, they require 3 AAA batteries and automatically shut off after 20 minutes of non use.
    Ed

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Poochy View Post
    I agree with THEFIRENUT, we ain't swimming here either. Thanks
    I meant regular maintenance cleaning.

Forum Member

Sorry about my Post Hatchman; My wife says I jump into a subject in the middle of a thought, on another topic all the time. Your perfectly correct about the cleaning of the EPIC VOICE AMP, don't submerge the EPIC VOICE AMP for cleaning.
    My apoligies HATCHMAN;
    Ed

Forum Member

Oop's hatchmaster.

MembersZone Subscriber

No biggie, partially my fault for not being more descriptive.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by THEFIRENUT View Post
    I didn't think that any of it was made to go for a swim!!

Scott facepieces (unlike some other brands) can be fully submerged for cleaning (or swimming if you like).

Forum Member

We just got a demonstration from scott and they improved the battery situation greatly. Now all you have is a single battery stick of 6 AAs that goes right behind the lumbar pad on the pack. This controls all of the air pack electronics...PASS, HUD, PAK Tracker and anything electronic on the pack. The only other battery is on the voice amp which like they stated before is 3 AAAs. So now instead of 3 sets of batterys you only have 2 battery locations now. Also as for the voice amp having a button to my knowledge there is noone that has an automaticly activating voice amp, every company there is a switch you must turn on correct me if im wrong. As stated earlier there is a auto shut off now on the voice amp, after 20 mins of non use it shuts off to save batteries.

Thread Information