Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Cleveland Ohio Fire

Did anyone get to read the article in the columbus dispatch regarding The downfall of Cleveland Fire's Ems System and the dire need to fill fourty medic spots! If so have you ever heard of anyone running there system like this just from the article I read I picked up that they run 6 days straight on an 8hr shift then get two days off but usually have to work mandatory overtime! It seems to me that the boys on the rigs dont want to pitch in and get there medic cards but I dont know any cleveland boys know whats goin on up there? P.S. I dont know the whole story thats why im asking so dont get your pantys ruffled

Forum Member

cleveland ems has no relation to cleveland fire

MembersZone Subscriber

well then that makes alot more sense!

Forum Member

I think "cleveland ems" is a county run program, or maybe city, all I know is that it is tough working there

Forum Member

You must live within the city to, another major downfall.

Forum Member

Cleveland EMS is a third party City run EMS service. The morale is horrible there and they have had a mass exodus. The turnover is unbelieveable.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Forum Member

I'm pretty sure they work 12 hour shifts, and yes you must live in the city along with all other city employees.

Forum Member

The article also states that the commissioner of EMS in Cleveland blames Memphis Fire for offering better salaries and a signing bonus which lured paramedics away. In my opinion, if you have to blame a department hundreds of miles away for your problems then you truly don't have a clue what's going on in your own department. Can't see the forest through the trees or something like that. I work with a lot of these Cleveland guys that went to Memphis and they all say the working conditions were horrible, they never got a day off and they were treated like crap.

Forum Member

I also saw where the EMS director put the blame on Memphis... which I think is a ridiculously poor statement to make. Do you really think people aren't going to move on the chance to get better wages, working conditions, and hours? If you don't believe so that's a joke.

Many of the dept's in my area all lost 2-3 guys to Memphis, you don't see these depts around here blaming things on Memphis, and I wish the best of luck to all of them who jumped on the opportunity to go down south.

Talking left ohio

Quote Originally Posted by scrapper View Post
    The article also states that the commissioner of EMS in Cleveland blames Memphis Fire for offering better salaries and a signing bonus which lured paramedics away. In my opinion, if you have to blame a department hundreds of miles away for your problems then you truly don't have a clue what's going on in your own department. Can't see the forest through the trees or something like that. I work with a lot of these Cleveland guys that went to Memphis and they all say the working conditions were horrible, they never got a day off and they were treated like crap.

I left Ohio for Memphis Fire and its the best decision I ever made. Memphis has an extremely high call volume however you have good equipment to work with, great pay and benefits. Ohio sucks!!!!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Firemedic515 View Post
    I'm pretty sure they work 12 hour shifts, and yes you must live in the city along with all other city employees.
    They have a miriad of shifts now. They used to be on 12's. Then they went to 8's. Now, they have some trucks on 8's and some on 12's. I have no idea what the rhyme or reason is and how they figure it out.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by scrapper View Post
    Wow, that is pretty funny.

MembersZone Subscriber

Blaming Memphis was the best part of that article I laughed so hard when I read that if you worked in that system and didnt run to Memphis then you would be nuts you are making half your salary with just the signing bonus and you actually get a change of pace and get to ride the engine or ladder

Forum Member

Wink

All they need to do is get rid of the ridiculous residency requirement and things would be a lot better. It puts huge limitations on the amount of people who are even eligible for the job. Nobody wants to move from a nice suburb into Cleveland.

Forum Member

Well if you can believe what you read, the OH Supreme Court is eventually going to rule to uphold that law banning residency requirements. Then Cleveland wouldn't have a choice.

And as a side note, I got a letter from Don McNea saying that in 2009, Cleveland is going to be hiring 100-150 firefighters.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default ha

just like columbus was going to be hiring 150-200... thats what was said at the columbus seminar.

Forum Member

Cleveland pumper 36 now going to be an ALS engine company.

Off the old list columbus hired 3 classes roughly 80 guys. SO for one class off the new list as been hired i believe they started about 2 months ago. We have over 200 guys that could go at anytime, but with the DROP you never know.
    Cleveland firefighters have the drop program as well, not to mention they have not hired in how long?

For you cleveland guys is there a lot of overtime, are you able to use your vaction? You need a lot of time on to get time off from now untill the fall.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by columbusfire View Post
    You need a lot of time on to get time off from now untill the fall.
    I hear that man, no more vaca days for me until after labor day

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Cleveland Fire

Check out this website,
    HTML Code:
    www.iafflocal93.org
    this will give you some insight on the Cleveland Fire Dept. Yes, EMS is a "Third Service". Cleveland Fire responds as "First responders". Our Rescue Squads have transport capability and do, transport patients when EMS doesn't have an ambulance available, or if the patients condition warrents transport by Fire Rescue Squad. (The CFD Rescue Squads are for Technical rescues, and Rescue of victims at a fire-civillian, or fireman). The last class hired was in February of 2001. (Class was hired off of the 1998 test)

Thread Information