Forum Member

Default FF Training in Reserves?

Iím thinking about joining the air force reserves as a firefighter and I would like to get some feedback from people that might have gone that rout or know someone. Iím thinking that if I can get in, serve for a few years to get the necessary training and experience, I would have a good shot at getting on full time somewhere and still be in the reserves. My other option is to spend the next few years getting all my certifications part time through a community college and then trying to get on. I currently live in the west suburbs of Chicago, Iím 26, I have a 4 year degree but I just canít do the corporate life. Iím a Polish carpenter at heart, I donít belong behind a desk, so any feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated.

!! 4/4 For some reason my replys are not going through, maybe a few more days? Stick around.
    Last edited by Scooter0505; 04-04-2008 at 07:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter0505 View Post
    Iím thinking about joining the air force reserves as a firefighter and I would like to get some feedback from people that might have gone that rout or know someone. Iím thinking that if I can get in, serve for a few years, get the necessary training and experience, I would have a good shot at getting on full time somewhere. My other option is to spend the next few years getting all my certifications part time through a community college and then trying to get on. I currently live in the west suburbs of Chicago, Iím 26, I have a 4 year degree but I just canít do the corporate life. Iím a Polish carpenter at heart, I donít belong behind a desk, so any feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Scooter,
    Look at someother threads in here, there are many on the subject of reserve firefighting. Off the bat I would tell you not to do it unless you want to serve your country, not just to get the expirence. From the tone of your writing "serve for a few years" you should stick to the community college.

Forum Member

I definitely wouldnít mind serving my country, I even thought about making a career out of it but Iíd like to get as much info as I can. I read through a lot of these threads and theyíve been very helpful, and maybe I was too vague in my question but what Iím trying to find out is how good the training is in the AF? After itís all said and done will I be seen as a qualified FF by firehouses? Also, is my four year degree worth anything in the reserves?

Forum Member

Cool as a reserved reservist

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter0505 View Post
    Iím thinking about joining the air force reserves as a firefighter and I would like to get some feedback from people that might have gone that rout or know someone. Iím thinking that if I can get in, serve for a few years to get the necessary training and experience, I would have a good shot at getting on full time somewhere and still be in the reserves. My other option is to spend the next few years getting all my certifications part time through a community college and then trying to get on. I currently live in the west suburbs of Chicago, Iím 26, I have a 4 year degree but I just canít do the corporate life. Iím a Polish carpenter at heart, I donít belong behind a desk, so any feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    As a soldier, I say...thats an iffy bet my friend. The Air Force Is a great service, and having worked with a few of the Fire/Rescue Teams they posses on joint training, they a great at what they do, and I trust them in a pinch any day. However, reserve life is not always just that. Expect to go active at any moment(you will) and to not train on your Specialty very often. But...It is a good jumpstart. And and money for school (play strong hand with that recruiter) as well as loan repayment.
    Hit me up if you need any more info.

Forum Member

Default Aye

AF reserve is not a bad choice; i'm actually getting off of 4 years active duty in the AF as a firefighter and am going to enlist in the AFR rather than just get out all together. The education benefits; as well as the retirement benefits are too much to pass up.

There is a chance that you will get deployed if you don't want to, but in a lot of cases reserve deployments in the AF are volunteery. Not to mention the fact that they are only 4-6 months long.

Get with a reserve recruiter, he'll hook you up. I transition out in July, and will let you know when I talk to my reserve guy in a couple months.

Forum Member

My replies don't get posted right away, if at all so forgive me for the time laps, but I appreciate the feedback. I really wouldn't mind getting deployed, the whole military thing is starting to appeal to me. If I got into the air force as a FF and got deployed, would I actually be doing FF duties? Also, how is the compensation for being in the reserves? As you can tell, I'm really green about all this but I don't want to talk with a recruiter until I have a better understanding of things.

MembersZone Subscriber

good luck getting a slot.

Forum Member

I definitely wouldn't mind serving my country but I would also like to be trained as a FF. I'm trying to find out how good the training is, would I be more or less qualified for a civilian slot than someone that went to school and got all their certs?

Thread Information