Forum Member

Smile Buffalo Firefighters Get Overdue Raises

I am very pleased that the Buffalo,NY firefighters are getting well-deserved but overdue pay raises and it is about time,too. While I am not affiliated with this fine department, what gets me is why Buffalo's Bravest have been getting treated with contempt by the Control Board and City Hall for so long. That it took more than 2800 injuries and 3 Line of Duty deaths is totally inexcusable. Next time Buffalo and other cities in this state find themselves in dire financial straits, guess who the favorite whipping boy of the politicians is going to be? THE FIRE DEPARTMENT, that's who. Volunteer departments like mine are not immune to getting the shaft by government officials either. We have a 1977 American LaFrance pumper truck, for which parts are no longer available next up for replacement and that we have to fight like hell for even a refurbished rig for our active guys shows the effects of public and leaders' apathy toward the hometown fire department, if not hostility. What's it going to take for the fools in charge of municipal government and the community at large to realize that the hometown fire department deserves community support just as much as a school board that spends money like a drunken sailor such as Perry,NY's does. I may not be frontline personnel, but have a support role, but in my five years with my department, which may seem like nothing to a lot of you fine people who have many,many more than that in, but I have only missed two departmental meetings in those five years. If that's not dependability, I am not sure what is. Though my role is a support role, I am just as proud to be part of something as noble as the hometown volunteer fire department.

Forum Member

Question That it took more than 2800 injuries and 3 Line of Duty deaths is totally inexcusable

"That it took more than 2800 injuries and 3 Line of Duty deaths is totally inexcusable"

Did all that happen sense they have been without a raise ? Please , you mean well - but inaccurate assertions help no one.

The Union Admin is acting like whipped dogs lately ! The infighting with members is pathetic.

The Union has abandoned negotiations - (President Foley admitted that more then once.) He blames FF's for not being active. Well when people are trying to voice "Union Concerns" he's pointing "Political Fingers" - he's loyal to the "Party Faithfuls" - Maybe a new Union President could restore some dignity and a much needed spirit of hope !

The Mayor gave them a 5.5% raise as a show of good faith.

Thanks for your support - just try and slow it down a bit!

www.bfd-firedepartment.com
    23 years B.F.D. Local 282
    13 years U.A.W
    U.S.Military - Joined.

Forum Member

Default Slow it Down a Bit.

Will slow it down a bit, do my homework via a little research, which I am very good at and my department finds comes in handy at times.
    Quote Originally Posted by bfdhoser1 View Post
    "That it took more than 2800 injuries and 3 Line of Duty deaths is totally inexcusable"

Did all that happen sense they have been without a raise ? Please , you mean well - but inaccurate assertions help no one.

The Union Admin is acting like whipped dogs lately ! The infighting with members is pathetic.

The Union has abandoned negotiations - (President Foley admitted that more then once.) He blames FF's for not being active. Well when people are trying to voice "Union Concerns" he's pointing "Political Fingers" - he's loyal to the "Party Faithfuls" - Maybe a new Union President could restore some dignity and a much needed spirit of hope !

The Mayor gave them a 5.5% raise as a show of good faith.

Thanks for your support - just try and slow it down a bit!

Thread Information