Forum Member

Default Jr. Probies / Probies

Hey Guys... So I'm 18, and I am still considered a JR. Probie in the fire dept, cause I have yet to attend the Fire Academy. - I will be doing so this coming June, but thats besides the point.

I go to drill every Sunday, hang out with my soon to be engine crew, and stop by the dept. every so often during the week just to say 'Hi' and hang for a little.

There are 4 Jr. Probs in my dept., and when a Signal 10 (Or 9 if you are EMS) is released, we all usually call each other up, and head over to it to watch and help outside if need be. Until June, thats really all we can do...

What do Probies / Jr. Probies in your dep't do? Are they allowed to even show up to calls?

Forum Member

Why are you still considered a Junior Probie at 18?
    And not a probie in training while going through the academy?

Forum Member

In the department I volunteer for, you are only allowed to "run" calls if you have completed "rook" school and gotten your state certs unless you happen to be at the station when the tones go out. Even then, your duties on-scene are severly limited
    MCFD Station 1- "The Second-Due Saviors."
    ***My views and/or opinions on this site are those of myself and not my department.***

Forum Member

Speak English.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Jr's and Probies pretty much do the exact same thing only a Probie can go on a medical if there is nobody else around to give assistance however they can. A probie can also man hose lines outside of a structure as long as they are with a trained member.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

Only a Probie until you complete school? Thats good man I am a Captain and still get called a Probie some days.

But to answer your question, our boots are only allowed to ride on jobs when they have completed school and been evaluated by line officers, then they can ride second due unless otherwise advised.

Forum Member

Junior until september. I am in fire school. I am allowed to ride any piece so long as there is an open spot (always is) and do anything except interior operations, roof work, hydraulic tools (except for prepping them and the generators), and some other stuff I cant recall right now. I cannot respond to calls during school hours or from 10pm-6am on school nights.
    Last edited by charlie82; 04-02-2008 at 07:46 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by charlie82 View Post
    Junior until september. I am in fire school. I am allowed to ride any piece so long as there is an open spot (always is) and do anything except interior operations, roof work, hydraulic tools (except for prepping them and the generators), and some other stuff I cant recall right now. I cannot respond to calls during school hours or from 10pm-6am on school nights.

This is how my department is also. At my age of 16 i must stand by the OIC's door and have them tell me to get on. I have to have all my gear on before i get on the truck except for cover. With training you are allowed to hit the hydrant and do little stuff like that that is basically common sense. You can help by getting tools for sr. members. Change bottles on the SCBAs Pull hoses. Just thinks like that. It might be bs and all but its a way to learn so at least you are at that part.

Forum Member

My bad on the probie part, I just forgot to mention it. Our "probie" period is the six months after you complete rookie school. Even a year and half later, I still get called probie or rook, but its all good. I am the young guy, I understand.
    MCFD Station 1- "The Second-Due Saviors."
    ***My views and/or opinions on this site are those of myself and not my department.***

Forum Member

In our department, members are considered a Junior Firefighter until they reach the age of 18. In WV fire & rescue classes are very limited as to what someone under the age of 18 can attend, so, our 'Juniors' are VERY limited as to what activities they can take part in. Our state law states they cannot take part in any activity that occurs between the first due engine and the scene, so, basically, other than running a hydrant or portable pump, they can't do much. At 18 years old, they are a probationary firefighter for a minimum of six months or until they complete the WV State Minimum requirements for firefighter, which include; Firefighter I, Firefighter II, First Aid & CPR, Basic Auto Extrication, Advanced Auto Extrication, HazMat Awareness, & HazMat Operations. After they become a probationary firefighter, they can begin to take part in some fire & rescue activities, but are still very limited until they achieve they're required training. After their six month probation period, or later if they take longer to get their certifications, they're considered a Senior Firefighter, being able to take part in all sorts of emergency calls.

Thread Information