Forum Member

Default Define "critical infrastructre"

I had a phone conversation with a vendor yesterday and he asked why I didn't include "critical infrastructure" in my narrative for a neighboring dept's grant. I told him, "because there isn't any". He proceeded to tell me that the local high school building (community meeting place), 365K lines that run across the back of the district (doesn't everybody have a set of those?), the local energy company (they have fuel storage facilities) and such were consisdered critical infrastructure. I told him that I thought he was stretching it just a bit. Using that logic,all of our fire stations would be critical infrastructure and we could all answer "yes" to the question.

How does everyone else here define this? My own dept is first due to our small regional airport, but I didn't really consider it "critical".

Maybe I'm just too honest. If it costs us a grant,so be it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Major highways, fuel storage facilities, gas/oil pipelines, electrical plants and major transmission lines, airports, rail lines, etc are all considered critical infrastructure.

Forum Member

From the "help" link on the application:

Critical infrastructure includes any system or asset that if attacked would result in catastrophic loss of life or catastrophic economic loss. Critical infrastructure also includes the following:

# Public water systems serving large population centers.
    # Primary data storage and processing facilities, stock exchanges, or major banking centers.
    # Chemical facilities located in close proximity to large population centers.
    # Major power generation facilities that exceed 2,000 MW and support the regional electric grid.
    # Hydroelectric facilities and dams that produce power in excess of 2,000 MW or could cause catastrophic loss of life if breached.
    # Nuclear power plants.
    # Electric substations 500 KV or larger, and substations 345 KV or larger, that are part of a critical system supporting populations in excess of one million.
    # Rail and highway bridges over major waterways that, if destroyed, would cause catastrophic loss of life or catastrophic economic impact.
    # Major natural gas transmission pipelines in excess of 3,000 bcf.
    # Natural gas and liquid natural gas storage facilities.
    # Major petroleum handling facilities such as pipelines, ports, refineries, and terminals.
    # Telecommunications, Internet, and cyber facilities.
    # Facilities that support large public gatherings such as sporting events or concerts.
    What is a "large" population center? I don't know...I'm guessing my 1300 population is not considered "large". There's nothing on this list that I could claim we have, so I put "no" last year...still got the grant. It doesn't say anything about transmission lines in that list. It also doesn't define how big a public gathering is to be "large", so a high school is kind of a gray area.

Andy
    Last edited by Pelican631; 04-01-2008 at 04:42 PM.

Forum Member

My understanding that every county in the country was required to submit a list of their "critcal infrastructure" to DHS several years ago.

I wouldn't be suprised if this submitted list can be compared to what we put in our applications.

There is a process for counties to update their list with DHS as well. If you suspect that your County Emergency Preparedness Office may not be completely on the ball, you should ask them what they submitted. Our guy thought it was "too much work" and ignored it. We fixed his attitude

MembersZone Subscriber

If they already know what it is, then why do we need to list it again?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by AC1503 View Post
    If they already know what it is, then why do we need to list it again?
    "They" are DHS who knows; your peer reviewers don't know what's in your area until you paint them a picture.

Forum Member

I hadn't thought about checking with the county EMO. That's a good idea. I'm aware of what is in the guidelines. The thing that bothered me was that the vendor didn't seem to think it was that big a deal to shade the "truth" a bit.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by flathead View Post
    The thing that bothered me was that the vendor didn't seem to think it was that big a deal to shade the "truth" a bit.
    Yeah, none of them seem to. Do what you feel is right and honest; that's what I've always done. They are interested in sales. You can certainly put down infrastructure in your district and let DHS and your peers take it into consideration.

I'll let Brian talk more about this once he wakes up from his coma in a few weeks. We've had plenty of discussions about this in the past.

Thread Information