Thread: Friend or foe?

Forum Member

Default Friend or foe?

In the last five years with multiple requests to Walmart for donations our dept has only received one $25.00 donation from our local Walmarts. The Target Stores & other business our usually very generous. We have also been denied by Sam Clubs. My question is: How do you feel about Walmart? Do they do their fair share in donating or is their donation program a propaganda tool?

MembersZone Subscriber

"Feel" Feelings have nothing to do with anything.

Fair Share? What is Fair share? Anything a business, or individual, that makes a donation to a FD, or any other organization, is a DONATION. They are under no obligation to do so. They don't OWE such to you or anyone else. You have no entitilement to their resources.

Thank them for a donation, or for their consideration of a donation, on not.

And my FD rcvd $1000 a couple years ago for a fund raising project. And the local Walmart has a regular program of such.

Forum Member

Our local Wal-Marts also have a small grant program.

But I do agree with the above. They are in no way obligated to give you anything.

Forum Member

Ok Iowa & Web, I agree. Nobody is obligated for donations. Bad wording on my part. Fair share? Also bad wording on my part. Is Walmart or Sam Club generous towards your community? Why or why not?

Forum Member

My dept has applied the last two years for a grant from Wal-Mart and both times we have gotten a grant. The first was $1000 & the last one was for $500. So my dept has had good luck with Wal-Mart. Also the Wal-Mart is not in our community its in another city about 12 miles away.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by atrea1 View Post
    Ok Iowa & Web, I agree. Nobody is obligated for donations. Bad wording on my part. Fair share? Also bad wording on my part. Is Walmart or Sam Club generous towards your community? Why or why not?
    We haven't applied for any with Wal-Mart yet. But other departments in the area have received money from them.

Sam's is too far away for us to get any money.

Forum Member

Our local Walmart has given us a donation pretty much every year we've asked. We try to spare them as much as possible, since they have never said no. They have cut our request several times, but never denied. But I think, until recently, donations were pretty much up to the store manager and the grants are up to corporate. The donations are getting tighter according to another thread though... Our store gets hammered daily for requests, so I'm sure it'll keep getting tighter.

Forum Member

We asked for the first time this year and recieved $1,000. We also sell our Cash Bash tickets up there, and they match the amount that we raise. I have to say that Wal-Mart is very good in the Johnstown area. Every Police Dept was given $500 toward the purchases of cameras for their use.
    We never look a gift horse in the mouth, and to be blunt, any money is good money. The Wal-mart is not in our district, but about 6 miles away.

Forum Member

What is a cash bask ticket?

Forum Member

We have been very fortunate with our dealings with Wal Mart. They have bought a TIC and usually donate atleast $2500 each year. They also just gave us a tv/dvd combo unit for our fire prevention program. This may change as in the other thread mentioned if they require a 501C3.

Forum Member

My Dept has gotten $1000 from Walmart everytime we have requested it waiting to here for this year
    It is about 20 miles away

Forum Member

We used to give away a car at our week long jubilee. That started getting tough as prices kept climbing...so every night of our jubilee we draw a ticket and the winner gets cash. We start at $250 and double it each night. Last year if the winner was present they double their winnings. The cash went $250,$500, $1000, $2000 and so on. No one that won was present, hence we didnt have to pay the double. We set up a table at Walmart for a day to sell tickets, and they matched dollar for dollar every ticket we sold.

Forum Member

Limeforever...your not a 501c3?

Forum Member

Default stupid question

someone explain 501c3 ......... and how does a volunteer county fire department find out if they qualify for a 501c3 ?????

Forum Member

No 501C3 here. The only departments in my county that have a 501C3 are the one's that play bingo. My combo dept is listed as a goverment entity. Many of the ladies auxillaries are listed as a 501C3, but not the departments themselves.

Forum Member

501C3 is a listing with the IRS. An attorney can assist with in setting this up. You can look at the IRS website and get a definition. Most churches and some schools are listed as this if I am not mistaken.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Good to us !!

Our local Wal-Mart has ben very good to us. It took a couple years of asking before we received our first grant for training. We have received 6 or 8 years in a row, started out at $500. each year but later increased to $1,000. From what I have learned is that it helps to have someone working for the local store that lives in your town. Also they have a limited budget, I think our local store gives out about $20,000 every year. Don't give up after just one try.

Forum Member

Wow, after reading the replies so far, I'm shocked, as my dealings with Walmart are not postive to say the least. Maybe they aren't the big bad wolf I thought they were.

MembersZone Subscriber

Wow, after reading the replies so far, I'm shocked, as my dealings with Walmart are not postive to say the least. Maybe they aren't the big bad wolf I thought they were.
    Just to set the record straight for everyone here, Wal-Mart IS the single largest corporate donator to public safety agencies in the US. Its in small bites but, 10 dimes make a dollar!
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

How does one go about applying for a grant or donation at a walmart?

MembersZone Subscriber

Maybe, just to play the devil here, maybe the problem is in the request? or
    the presentation?

Forum Member

I have found that frequently it depends on the attitude of the local manager, what he/she feels is most deserving and the number of requests the store gets from other agencies.

The manager in our store gives preference to charities that his employees ask him to support. Luckily, we have a volunteer that works at the store.

Thread Information