Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Moving to a Small Town

Hey all,
    I am moving to a small town (pop. <5000) with a Paid-on-call dept. They recently had an application period open, and I submitted my application on time. Today I called to find out the status of my application and was told that I would not be considered this time because I have been activated by the Air National Guard to attend training (the DOD Fire Academy) and will be missing their testing. I'm chalking it up as their loss but can't help but feeling burned on this one. I don't mean to complain but I was really looking forward to this one.

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by rcgregor View Post
    Hey all,
    I am moving to a small town (pop. <5000) with a Paid-on-call dept. They recently had an application period open, and I submitted my application on time. Today I called to find out the status of my application and was told that I would not be considered this time because I have been activated by the Air National Guard to attend training (the DOD Fire Academy) and will be missing their testing. I'm chalking it up as their loss but can't help but feeling burned on this one. I don't mean to complain but I was really looking forward to this one.
    If you are being activated you won't be there anyways. Apply when you get back. Suck it up, small town life can be tough and clique at times. I live in a small village of 700...Dude everyone knows your business there!!!!

Forum Member

I wouldn't get to chapped about it. They probably only do one "new guy" training session per year. The instructors are probably volunteers, and training groups of ones and twos is a serious pain.

So, when you get back give them a ring. I really don't think they are trying to be difficult, but they have a framework that works for the them. So give it a try, later.

I understand your disappointment. Maybe when you get back, they will be able to slip you in. If not, then all you can do is wait on the next opening.

But at least you get to have fun at Louis F. Garland. When you get back to your home station, you will be in upgrade training for your five level. So you will be busy doing your CDC's for Driver/Operator for ARFF, Pumper and Mobil Water Supply.

You will have a lot to offer, but remember, even with all of your training, you will need to put in a lot of OJT to learn the job.

I know of a couple of departments here in East Texas that wouldn't let some of our young airmen on. Not sure what happened, but it could be that they were afraid of the level of training that these young men had (or it could have been that these well training young men were just a little to cocky for them).

Anyway, just enjoy your school and maybe you will get lucky with the next round. Take care.
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Wink New training

Hey all,
    If you will be missing their training, then that seems to be the reason for you not being accepted for this round. To me this seems perfectly normal. I DO however understand your disappointment. When you get back re-apply and go through their testing and I'm sure you will make it in.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by THEFIRENUT View Post
    I understand your disappointment. Maybe when you get back, they will be able to slip you in. If not, then all you can do is wait on the next opening.

But at least you get to have fun at Louis F. Garland. When you get back to your home station, you will be in upgrade training for your five level. So you will be busy doing your CDC's for Driver/Operator for ARFF, Pumper and Mobil Water Supply.

You will have a lot to offer, but remember, even with all of your training, you will need to put in a lot of OJT to learn the job.

I know of a couple of departments here in East Texas that wouldn't let some of our young airmen on. Not sure what happened, but it could be that they were afraid of the level of training that these young men had (or it could have been that these well training young men were just a little to cocky for them).

Anyway, just enjoy your school and maybe you will get lucky with the next round. Take care.
    Cocky Airmen? Never thought that would happen, haha. I'm probably going to have to wait a year for them, oh well. I guess the biggest dissapointment is I had talked to them and they said we could possibly work something out. My home town is about the same population and it was never like that for department recruiting. I've just been working at this goal for almost 4 years now, EMT Basic, FF1, AAS and now these fancy pending DOD certs and Medic school this fall.
    Last edited by rcgregor; 04-10-2009 at 07:39 PM.

Cocky Airmen? Never thought that would happen, haha. I'm probably going to have to wait a year for them, oh well. I guess the biggest dissapointment is I had talked to them and they said we could possibly work something out. My home town is about the same population and it was never like that for department recruiting, of course if I move back there they would take me almost instantly. No, no I'm not being cocky, the AC is my father. I've just been working at this goal for almost 4 years now, EMT Basic, FF1, AAS and now these fancy pending DOD certs and Medic school this fall. The reason I was hoping for the vollie spot is C.Y.O.A. and wanting to know who/what is protecting my family.
    You will find that each department operates a little different no matter where you go.

MembersZone Subscriber

It does suck, but hang in there.

I understand only taking apps once a year...I wish we did. It's a pain to constantly have to bring new guys up to speed. Plus, it really sucks to be the only guy in the Intro class.!
    Bryan Beall
    Silver City, Oklahoma USA

Just to play a little devil's advocate here, put yourself in the Chief's shoes. I was on a dept. near a navy base. We would get corpsmen or others with ff experience who would join. We would equip them with $1,000 worth of new turnout, a class A uniform, t-shirts, workshirts, a pager and a training academy only to have the person get transferred in 2 months or leave for advanced training. Chief got awefully tired of paying for that. I always took the side of anyone willing to volunteer has a place here, regardless of time in. Good luck to you, and thank you for your service to our country.

Roch27, that wouldn't have been near Groton would it?
    When I was stationed at the Medical Center and joined one the department that covered the area immediatly off-base, I got some grief from some of the old timers because I had told the chiefs right up front that I knew I was going to get transfered to my sea duty assignment after being there for 18 months. The cheif at the time appreciated me telling him and thanked me for being able to contribute what time I could spare. I was working rotating shifts at the time, so I was home during the day for two out of every three weeks.
    "Your spill is our thrill."

Thread Information