Forum Member

Talking Blonde Moment!!!

Well the other day we recieved a call for a water flow activation. One of our captains and I hopped on the engine and rolled out. He looked over at me and told me to radio Stanly to let them know we were in route. I grabbed the mic on my side and said " Engine 241 to Stanly"......no response.again"Engine 241 to Stanly".... I looked over at the captain. I don't think Stanly can hear me. He looks at my mic and realizes I have the mic for the pa so everytime I was trying to call to stanly I was on the pa and thats why the sirens cut out. I finally grabbed the right mic and called to stanly. Talk about a blonde moment. I kept wondering why the sirens kept cutting in and out. Let's just say the guys on our fire dept. got a kick outta my blonde moment.

Thumper
    One firefighter....one passion. and one hell of a b!tch if you rub me the wrong way.

Ich liebe Männer in der Uniform, die eine Mädchenwelt schaukeln können

Forum Member

And who has not had a blonde moment? I look back at mine and laugh
    "Professional" means your attitude to the job...

Nullus Anxietas ..... (T Pratchett)

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking "Blonde moments"

I think just about all of us has had "Blonde moments". Just as long as they are not dangerous we can laugh about them, move one, and continue to laugh about them.

My storie is that I was enroute code-3. We got cancelled while enroute. I reached over and shut the sirens off. For some reason I started losing power in the engine, the apparatus would not accelerate. I pulled off the road to assess the situation and radio'ed in that I was having mechanical problems. After a minute I realized I had also switched off the battery (It was dark because it was at night and the switches are next to each other). Needless to say when I switched the battery back on I had good power to the engine.

No one got hurt. No one was put in danger. I can laugh about it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by XRaysJL View Post
    I think just about all of us has had "Blonde moments". Just as long as they are not dangerous we can laugh about them, move one, and continue to laugh about them.

My storie is that I was enroute code-3. We got cancelled while enroute. I reached over and shut the sirens off. For some reason I started losing power in the engine, the apparatus would not accelerate. I pulled off the road to assess the situation and radio'ed in that I was having mechanical problems. After a minute I realized I had also switched off the battery (It was dark because it was at night and the switches are next to each other). Needless to say when I switched the battery back on I had good power to the engine.

No one got hurt. No one was put in danger. I can laugh about it.
    Thats funny that sounds like something I would do.
    One firefighter....one passion. and one hell of a b!tch if you rub me the wrong way.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FIREGIRL4EVER View Post
    Well the other day we recieved a call for a water flow activation. One of our captains and I hopped on the engine and rolled out. He looked over at me and told me to radio Stanly to let them know we were in route. I grabbed the mic on my side and said " Engine 241 to Stanly"......no response.again"Engine 241 to Stanly".... I looked over at the captain. I don't think Stanly can hear me. He looks at my mic and realizes I have the mic for the pa so everytime I was trying to call to stanly I was on the pa and thats why the sirens cut out. I finally grabbed the right mic and called to stanly. Talk about a blonde moment. I kept wondering why the sirens kept cutting in and out. Let's just say the guys on our fire dept. got a kick outta my blonde moment.

Thumper
    I did the same thing trying to confirm to IC tha our truck was enroute. He asked like 3 or 4 times and I kept answering on the pa every time (had the mic in my hand the first time and kept it). "...#714 to command, for the 4th f***ing time we confirm enroute and 3 min out for..."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RDL210 View Post
    I did the same thing trying to confirm to IC tha our truck was enroute. He asked like 3 or 4 times and I kept answering on the pa every time (had the mic in my hand the first time and kept it). "...#714 to command, for the 4th f***ing time we confirm enroute and 3 min out for..."
    Now after hearing about ya'lls blonde moments it doesn't make me feel as stupid as I did lol. Glad to know I'm not the only one that was shouting over the pa.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FIREGIRL4EVER View Post
    Glad to know I'm not the only one that was shouting over the pa.
    Hell!!! Half the city knew we were running!!! The only one that didn't know was the IC

Forum Member

Talking

Hell!!! Half the city knew we were running!!! The only one that didn't know was the IC
    Thats quite hilarious

Forum Member

"...#714 to command, for the 4th f***ing time we confirm enroute and 3 min out for..."
    I sure hope you didn't say those exact words into the mic even if it was for the PA. Around here you would get your ***** reamed for that kind of thing.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by RFRDxplorer View Post
    I sure hope you didn't say those exact words into the mic even if it was for the PA. Around here you would get your ***** reamed for that kind of thing.
    Fortunatly, only I (and half the city) know...

Forum Member

It didn't happen to me, but I remember hearing it happen to my uncle over the scanner back when I was still a Junior.

We still rode tailboard back then, and were still using 2 1/2" supply line. Our SOP was for the officer to use the truck PA to let the tailboard crew know what line to pull, or if they were doing a single lay or duals.

It was meeting night and we got toned out second due in town for a house fire. As they arrived on scene command told them to forward lay duals from the hydrant on the corner. My uncle was the Captain so he grabbed what he thought was the PA mic and said "Lay duals boys....she's cookin." Only it wasn't the PA mic.
    As you can imagine he never lived it down. More than a couple guys even brought it up after his funeral.

Forum Member

When i first started way way way way way way back or so it seems lol. The first fire I was able to run pump on my own.. I did it I charged everything that was preconnected. I was rode hard for while about that and deservingly so.
    Training does not make perfect. Training makes permanent!

IACOJ probie

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by fireguy919 View Post
    When i first started way way way way way way back or so it seems lol. The first fire I was able to run pump on my own.. I did it I charged everything that was preconnected. I was rode hard for while about that and deservingly so.
    I can remember a fire along time back that I took a probie on. It was a large "compost heap" next to a barn. Everything ran smooth on the response and when we arrived it was putting out some serious smoke. I looked over at the probie and said this is gonna be a shi*** one. He could not function what so ever. He was crying he was laughing so hard. I never put the play on words together then.....

Forum Member

Since we're telling stories about the PA's... Every year we host our community's Easter egg hunt and we bring an ambulance to use the PA. A couple years ago I was on the PA giving instructions to the crowd when I notice a couple of department members moving toward the ambulance swiftly and waving their arms. I thought, WTF is wrong with those yahoos. They look like a bunch of idiots waving their arms around this crowd like that. Show some professionalism at a public event would you? Sheesh. Well, finally someone reaches the ambulance and politely (yeah, right) tells me I've been giving instructions for the Easter egg hunt to every fire deparment in the county over the mobile radio.
    SFPD Member MABAS Division 47
    Told my wife I'm at work. Told my boss I'm sick. I'm really at the fire station.
    I.A.C.O.J.

MembersZone Subscriber

Oh. I thought there was going to be, like, a blonde chick or something...

Mike

MembersZone Subscriber

Don't feel bad, I did the same thing the other day. Only difference was I wanted to call dispatch and tell them we were on scene. Instead I grabbed the PA mic and announced to everyone at the scene that we were there. I am sure most of them appriciated me letting them know.

Forum Member

All those levers....we were practicing drafting one night. Just as I reached a perfect prime, I reached over to charge the deck gun, only the deck gun valve handle was hidden by the mattydale. Naturally, I charged the preconnect. Those flakes peeled off in a perfect dance.....

Thread Information