Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default physical fitness simple answer

Ive been in the fire service for 18 years and have seen a big difference in the physical fitness testing in this time. When I was first hired, I had to run 1.5 miles in a given amount of time, one minute max number of situps, pushups, pullups, streching, 2.5 inch hose drag, dummy drag, and finished with climbing a 100 foot stick. I took the CPAT 2 months ago (for sh&giggles) and didnt even break a sweat. It makes me nervous that the rookies of today complain about a absolutely simple and basic test like the CPAT! Ive also seen the newbees coming into training academies with waist lines of 36" -40"! Give a break! What part of firefighting has changed over the past 18 years that makes it any less physically demanding? If you cant get yourself in shape how are you going to get the trust from your brothers that you can pull your own weight and ours if needed if you cant even pass the CPAT? Keep in mind - becoming a firefighter is not always whats best for you - think about others and their lives that you can affect.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Fitness... starting from our kids... they are the future!

It's a new era, and you are right. It's a little sad. I see the same things in my coaching sports. Kids today are lazy, out of shape and entirely entitled to equal opportunities and equal playing time. What ever happened to hard work, genetic gifts, and a strong will? We need to get our kids off the computer, and into the gym, and playing contact sports, or it's only going to get worse in the future. Video game competance in no way relates to anything physical except finger and thumb dexterity.

I say that as I sit here with my morning coffee in front on the computer. Maybe I better get to the gym!

Dr. Jen
    www.fireagility.com
    Last edited by Drjmilus; 04-02-2008 at 10:59 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by agentsvp View Post
    What part of firefighting has changed over the past 18 years that makes it any less physically demanding?
    Sitting in an ambulance and less fire. Seriously though, you're right.

Video game competance in no way relates to anything physical except finger and thumb dexterity.
    At some stations that's an important skill.... A rookie can prove himself with his Halo or Medal of Honor skills :|

I say that as I sit here with my morning coffee in front on the computer. Maybe I better get to the gym!
    Hey coffee is an antioxidant, and recommended by some prior to working out.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Coffee

I have heard it helps you burn more fat during your workout. Cool... just back from the gym, and guess what? It's takes alot more days than just today....
    NEVER STOP TRAINING.

Show me a Scania vehicle

Post I can't compare

I'm 27 and hoping to be in the paid fire service very soon. I've taken the boring, pass/fail, mostly benign, copyrighted CPAT test many times. But the most fun and challenging physical test I've ever taken was not the CPAT but a test put together by the department that was giving the test.

Our final score was based on how fast we were on the course. After the test I was breathing hard, I could taste blood and it took me some time to recover so that I could drive home. What an awesome test!

I'm taking a timed CPAT tomorrow. At the end of every CPAT I've done in the past 18 months, I've placed the pike pole in it's designated spot, calmly took off my weight vest and sat down because I had to. All with 2+ minutes to spare. I'm not an animal; I'm just some-what in shape. But it doesn't matter how much time is left, it's just a pass/fail (yawn). Where's the challenge?

I can't compare the CPAT to the test's of the old days, but I want timed test where we're all compared to each other. Not a pass/fail.

Angry holy cow....

"I took the CPAT 2 months ago (for sh&giggles) and didnt even break a sweat. It makes me nervous that the rookies of today complain about a absolutely simple and basic test like the CPAT! Ive also seen the newbees coming into training academies with waist lines of 36" -40"! Give a break! What part of firefighting has changed over the past 18 years that makes it any less physically demanding? "

Wow. First, congrats on flying through the CPAT. Second, I feel that waist size has nothing to do with the candidates ability to do the job. If they passed the test, there in- whether or not they look like you. I am not sure what you look like, but a 36" waist on a 6' candidate isn't a bad frame. The job is just as demanding, and todays candidates are just as physically capable as they were way back in your days as a rookie. It really fry's me when people make the comment about youth being lazy, disrespectfull, etc, etc. Dont get me wrong, is obesety a problem, ABSOLUTELY, but who is to blame for it, THE GENERATION WHO RAISED THEM! With physical fitness programs being cut from schools as far back as the 80's, why do we wonder why the generation that was raised during the 80's have fitness issues.

If you have that kind of attitude to the guys that will be backing you up, then maybe its time for you to get off the engine, because having no confidence in them, means they'll have none in you.

You must be a little fart lol. I have a 36" waist but 8.5% bodyfat. But I'm 6'5" and I guess that offsets it a little ;-)

Your absolutely right tho. I don't understand a job like firefighting not having some of the most demanding physical requirements. It's not like an office job that if at the end of the day we just couldn't get it done, it will still be there Monday. If we can't get it done people don't go home.

Its not just the new guys at our department who struggle with weight and fitness. We have a bad case of furniture disease with some of our oldest guys. Until recently we were given time on shift to work out but because of the fuel cost crunch we can't go to the training center anymore. I've started some Crossfit style workouts at the station to try and make up for it. Anyway that's neither here nor there lol.

Long story short, amen bro.

Thread Information