Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default question, about kettleballs vs. weightlifting

What is more benefical using a kettleball type work out or lifting 3-4 days a week with weights and doing cardiovascular such as, running, bike, eliptical, stairs and poolto pass the Cpat? Thanks for the help.

Jordan

Forum Member

I would also like to know.
    Or at least a good system.. the Army workout... sadly is only designed for you to pass the APFT... and lets face it...

Forum Member

If yer looking for some good kettle ball workouts, or just good cardio/strength combo's try this out www.crossfit.com, some great stuff there.. really cheap to set up.. and a good all around work out.
    -pete

The CPAT I am training for is a lot of cardio. The guy on my VFD, who currently is full time also, has taken it and said a good pace to be able to keep is a mile and a half in under 12 mins. So cardio, cardio, cardio!! But also have your leg and arm work out days, don't just neglect them completely
    Knowledge is the difference between KNOWING and GUESSING

"You guys are good, but you'll never invent anything-it's all been done before."

FF/EMT-IV (medic in training)

Smile question about kettlebells

In my opinion the kettlebell is a great tool to get ou ready for the CPAT. While running, biking, and lifting weights is great it doesn't directly translate to firefighting or the CPAT. How many times have you "bench pressed" an axe? I have never "curled" any equipment at a fire! The kettlebell works you in functional strength. That is strength in awkward positions that utilize core muscles and muscular endurance. These are the things that kettlebells work on. Also if you keep your breaks between sets short you increase the the cardiovascular aspect of training without having to go running. Best of luck training. Also another training site to check out is www.unique-training.com. It is run b a couple of friends of mine that are firefighters and do a lot of kettlebell training. Just another resourse!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Kettle bells/weights

I think a combination of weights, kettle bells, cardio with weightvest, high intensity interval, super setting, core and plymetrics are the way to go. I would be more inclined to jump rope and do sprint intervals thatn run distance or swim.

For a plan just to train for the step mill.weight vest portion, click here:
    http://cms.firehouse.com/web/online/...e-CPAT/8$50549

And, truly, Fire it Up! will help you blow your Cpat out of the water.

Mind you, passing the Cpat is about 1/3 as hard as the actual job, so... enough said...

Dr. Jen
    www.fireagility.com
    Last edited by Drjmilus; 04-05-2008 at 12:13 AM. Reason: forgot something

MembersZone Subscriber

thank you for all the help, i have sometime before the actual hiring process even begins, so im just trying to plan for the upcoming months and into next year, ive already started my work outs (weigths/cardio) and have already seen some improvement , but ill look more into aquiring a set of kettleballs. thanks again.

Jordan

FLA1786
    Firehouse.com Guest

Haha a lot of people call them balls but its bells, kettlebells (KBs). I think they rule. They are, however, just another piece of the puzzle. Crossfit is the whole puzzle. It is THE best fitness program for anyone who wants to go fire, law enforcement, military, or just be a tough dude/chick. A lot of people get turned off by crossfit because they read the Workout Of the Day (WOD) and don't understand it. I think if you just read the FAQ's on the site, click the link that says "Start HERE!" while also watching the exercise demos of the moves you dont know how to do, you could figure it out pretty quickly. Its basically a free 50 page Ebook on how to get in the best shape you can - well worth the reading. A year of crossfit will put you in very high contention for the PT award at your academy. But back to KBs...

I think they are pretty cool cause they are so weird looking. They were also developed in a foreign country and used by some of the toughest soldiers in the world (the Russian Spetznas). A lot of people will tell you they got in great shape using just KB's. These are the crowd that doesn't rely on fitness for their job, rather just to feel better. It would be the equivalent to only running to prepare for the academy if you just used KBs. If you only can afford KBs and not an olympic weight set and what not that work circuits of these:

KB swings, snatches, clean and press's, get ups
    hand stand push ups
    dead hang pull ups (thumbless)
    burpees
    running
    Tabata intervals
    box jumps

To do all that you need a KB, pull up bar, and a chair. Good luck. Oh yea and now that I'm off my soap box, check out this link:

http://www.dragondoor.com/dv044.html...utmk=130524816

MembersZone Subscriber

Default What's in your fitness toolbox??

Kettlebells, just like dumbbells, barbells, medicine balls, and exercise bands are a tool. When you're on a fire scene, what tool do you pick to force entry on a door: irons or nozzle?

In fitness, you must pick the right tool for the job. Kettlebells are great for burning calories to lose weight, for adding variety to your workouts, but the best advantage for using KBs is the transfer from max strength to functional strength. If you are feeling weak and need to build muscle in certain muscle groups, then max strength and some bodybuilding is appropriate for you. BUT, to get that max strength and muscle into "fire shape", kettlebells (and other functional equipment) can be used to mimic the specific movements, weights, and speed of the job or test (CPAT).

I think you're always better using an integrated approach and choosing your tools wisely. Just because an exercise is hard, doesn't make it right. Using a variety of tools, training methods, and programs should help improve your strength and conditioning while limiting injury potential.

Good luck!!!
    Yours in health & safety,
    Rich Meyer, CSCS
    www.FHPI.org

Fitness + Function + Fat Loss = An awesome retirement

Grab your copy of "F.A.S.T. Responders: The ULTIMATE Guide to Firefighter Conditioning" at http://www.FHPI.org

MembersZone Subscriber

I do olympic wightlifting, and use certain crossfit wod's for metcon(metabolic conditioning). The crossfit concept teaches one to be well rounded, to be prepared for any task, but not necessarily expert in any one discipline. The crossfit regimen is basically one part power/weightlifting, gymnastics, core strength, dynamic/static flexibility, as well as anerobic, lactate threshold, and endurance type energy systems training. For firefighting, I think training should be geared toward limit strength, anerobic/lactate metcon. I don't believe that steady-state aerobic conditioning holds much benefit here. Kettlebells are excellent for metcon. If you don't have a stepmill, give this a try: do 20 steps of kb/db walking lunges, then 10 front squats, then 24" box jumps to failure, provided you're accustomed to such work. The jumps can be hard on the knees. Box step ups can be used in place of the jumps. Also, you can do 1-2 sets of bodyweight squats every day, before you shower. You'll be doing 100-200 rep sets in no time. I also have a decent track routine. Bring two kb or db with you. Do a weight circuit, then run one lap as quick as possible. Rest 1-1 1/2 minutes, then repeat for a total of four times. If you want to do more, rest five minutes, then run 100m sprints, one minute rest between each, for 5-10 rounds, depending on your general conditioning. For the weight circuits, I use a power clean/push press/front squat complex, for 8 reps, before each run. You choose what you want to do. Try swings, snatches, front squats, or if you don't own any weights, use burpees. Be sure to build up slowly, to avoid overuse injuries, or burnout.

MembersZone Subscriber

If you're looking for something that you can measure if you're in good enough shape to pass the CPAT there is a workout specifically designed for that purpose and it's part of the CPAT description of stations you'll find on line. I followed it both times I've taken the CPAT and passed with flying colors. If you can do what it says in the times it says to do them you will be able to go into the test and be confident that you'll pass.

Crossfit and Kettlebells/dumbbells, and functional stuff is all great stuff.

Thread Information