Question associates or certification ?

Could you guys give me some feed back. I'am considering two schools for emt and paramedic. My problem is one school offers a ems associates degree and the other just gives you your certification for both emt and paramedic. Is the associates gonna be needed also does it give much more of a better chance to get into a fire dept. ?

Forum Member

Default response to gatekeep

You only need the certificates to take your state test and get hired by a department, but if you have the opportunity to get your degree... DO IT! It is only a few more easy general education classes. The degree will definetly look good, help later on for promotion and the state gives you an additional $50/month for two year degree. I am finishing my degree next week.

MembersZone Subscriber

Check out the course programs, pick out the school that puts out better quality medics.

I see your from Ft. lauderdale if your talking about city college for the EMS degree just be warned the things they tell you arn't exactly what you are looking for.

They will tell you they have like an 80% job placement and what ever but in reality thats not 80% with the fire department thats with private ambulance companies slinging lizards, also the cost is ALOT more then going through BCC. Other schools like FMTI although much easier on the schedule are not quite up to the same quality as BCC or PBCC but like anything else its what you make out of it that counts.

Good luck with your choice and remeber you cna always transfer your classes as long as they are accreddited to a community college and get your degree much cheaper.

Forum Member

What are the two schools, Broward Community and one of those fast tracts?
    If your going to cry about doing the job you signed up for do us all a favor and quit, there are plenty of dedicated people standing in line for the best job in the world.

Firefighter/Paramedic

Go through BCC, instructors are very eager to help you learn and from what I have heard, depts look at an accredited school over a fly by night school. Also, you can obtain a degree at BCC which is what I'm doing.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SSSmokeEater View Post
    Go through BCC, instructors are very eager to help you learn and from what I have heard, depts look at an accredited school over a fly by night school. Also, you can obtain a degree at BCC which is what I'm doing.

BCC is the BEST school in the tri-county area. Be prepared to have no life because they make you learn or kick you out. No dept really cares where you went to school as long as you have a patch. The difference is when you take pre hire tests. The students from the "fly by night" schools like FMTI, ATEC etc do much worse than people who went to a CC, 95% of the time, every time. I have done the pre hire testing, both fire and EMS, at my dept and the students who do the best almost always come from BCC and BFA. Where do you go, North or Central campus?
    If your going to cry about doing the job you signed up for do us all a favor and quit, there are plenty of dedicated people standing in line for the best job in the world.

Firefighter/Paramedic

Thread Information