MembersZone Subscriber

Default Res-Q-Jack roof resting operation?

Hey All-

I was looking at the latest Res-Q-Jack catalog and am confused by the roof resting vehicle evolution. I understand how the chains wrap around the rear of the vehicle but I don't see what the ratchet straps are doing. Does anyone have any step by step pics that explain this procedure better?

Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

Without looking at the actual catalog, I am assuming the ratchet straps are on the ground? If so, they are there to "tie" in the actual strut to the vehicle or an anchor. As the ratchet straps are tightened, the strut is "pulled" up and the chains begin to support the vehicle.

If you have a better description or photo to go by, I would be glad to further comment.

Again, without any visuals, I can only go by my past experience with the Res-Q-Jack system

MembersZone Subscriber

I presume you are referring to the short strap that runs from the chain to the unibody (or frame) via the large hook?

This is to keep the chain from slipping off the tapered rear end of the vehicle. Since the trunk lid and quarter panels usually taper towards the bumper, the chain will tend to slip in that direction. Since there is no anchor for the head of the strut other than the chain in that scenario, it is thoeretically possible for the load to shift and tip the entire strut assembly off the rear of the car.

I don't know if it would be necessary in every application, but when you look at how steeply the trunk lid angles up in the second photo, the chain could very well vibrate up the sheetmetal during the extrication process.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by mcaldwell View Post
    I presume you are referring to the short strap that runs from the chain to the unibody (or frame) via the large hook?

This is to keep the chain from slipping off the tapered rear end of the vehicle. Since the trunk lid and quarter panels usually taper towards the bumper, the chain will tend to slip in that direction. Since there is no anchor for the head of the strut other than the chain in that scenario, it is thoeretically possible for the load to shift and tip the entire strut assembly off the rear of the car.

I don't know if it would be necessary in every application, but when you look at how steeply the trunk lid angles up in the second photo, the chain could very well vibrate up the sheetmetal during the extrication process.
    Yep, that's what I was talking about....how does the strap and chain connect?

Forum Member

Its sounds like the question was answered, but FYI there's a video on their website that illustrates it step by step. They are doing a lift but they do all the initial stabilization stuff. In the video they use 2 straps to tie the chain to the vehicle - its easier to just use 1. 1 strap does the job attached to chain and run around wheel assemblies and to chain at other side. if hot exhaust just put a piece of cribbing near so strap does not contact.

go to the video page and its the 6th one down on left side:

http://www.res-q-jack.com/Online-Video/

also for the simple stabilization setup with no lift, they have a step-by-step recipe at the following link:

http://www.res-q-jack.com/Education-Applications/

go to the one labeled: "Roof Resting Stabilization - Full Chain Wrap Method"

there's a couple other roof resting ones there as well.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by crashrescue10 View Post
    Its sounds like the question was answered, but FYI there's a video on their website that illustrates it step by step. They are doing a lift but they do all the initial stabilization stuff. In the video they use 2 straps to tie the chain to the vehicle - its easier to just use 1. 1 strap does the job attached to chain and run around wheel assemblies and to chain at other side. if hot exhaust just put a piece of cribbing near so strap does not contact.

go to the video page and its the 6th one down on left side:

http://www.res-q-jack.com/Online-Video/

also for the simple stabilization setup with no lift, they have a step-by-step recipe at the following link:

http://www.res-q-jack.com/Education-Applications/

go to the one labeled: "Roof Resting Stabilization - Full Chain Wrap Method"

there's a couple other roof resting ones there as well.
    I think I got it now, Thanks every one!

Thread Information