Thread: Volunteer abuse

Forum Member

Default Volunteer abuse

My department has been talking about making some of our guys fulltime. The requirements were ff1 and emt-IV. Only three people have EMT-IV. Me and my friend are two of the three. The other is not that active. So after months of renovating the station and doing other odd jobs, the city pulled a low blow. They told us they changes their minds about hiring us. They decided to contract out and get an ambulance service. To add insult to injury the want us to continue to help renovate the station for free so the ambulance will have a nice place. Is this bs or am i over reacting?
    FF/Paramedic

MembersZone Subscriber

Exclamation Hmmm?

It's hard to believe any one would do that but yeah, I think that's pretty low. Then on top of they want you to work for their benefit for free?...........that makes it even worse.

MembersZone Subscriber

I would have a lot of trouble with it. Pretty sure I'd tell em' to go ahead and contarct out their renovations as well.

Forum Member

I don't know so much about contracting out the Ambulance Serivce. That isn't such a major thing.

The last thing about doing the renovations for these new Ambulance Attendants to stay in, I'd tell em to shove it. If they aren't going to hire from your ranks they can finish the rest of the addition to house THEIR people!
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

MembersZone Subscriber

Well even though this is a bad situation don't let it effect the response from your dept. And I can't put on here what I think of the actions of back dooring the fd or I would be banned. What does your chief say?

Forum Member

I feel for you and agree you have been screwed, but there is a silver lining... NO MORE EMS and it may give you a bargaining chip to increase your fire budget as the private should be fairly self sustaining once things start rolling. But thats the only plus I see, best of luck with all this brother.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dday05 View Post
    Well even though this is a bad situation don't let it effect the response from your dept. And I can't put on here what I think of the actions of back dooring the fd or I would be banned. What does your chief say?
    Come on D dont hold back... You make it sound like the fine out standing Politicians would do something so down low and dirty . Nothing surprise me when it comes to politics.
    Training does not make perfect. Training makes permanent!

IACOJ probie

Forum Member

Well to make matters worse the service they plan to contract out is RU RU!! The only calls we get are medical so really there is no need for us except for the 3 or 4 structures we get a year. It all just hurts....
    Knowledge is the difference between KNOWING and GUESSING

"You guys are good, but you'll never invent anything-it's all been done before."

FF/EMT-IV (medic in training)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TNFF319 View Post
    My department has been talking about making some of our guys fulltime. The requirements were ff1 and emt-IV. Only three people have EMT-IV. Me and my friend are two of the three. The other is not that active. So after months of renovating the station and doing other odd jobs, the city pulled a low blow. They told us they changes their minds about hiring us. They decided to contract out and get an ambulance service. To add insult to injury the want us to continue to help renovate the station for free so the ambulance will have a nice place. Is this bs or am i over reacting?
    I don't know much about this since I've never been involved so maybe someone with experience can clarify, but it seems strange to me that a board would contract a private service AND provide housing for the rig(s)? Is this common? How many medical calls are we talking about?
    SFPD Member MABAS Division 47
    Told my wife I'm at work. Told my boss I'm sick. I'm really at the fire station.
    I.A.C.O.J.

Forum Member

Couple of thoughts....

First, it is a business decision. Forget about it and move on.
    Second, volunteer if you want. Don't if you don't. If you do, do what is asked.

Remember that volunteering your signature is the last thing about volunteering that does not resemble a job. Once you sign you simply have a non paying job.

And yes, it is common for the area to be served provides the location, provided the unit is for the exclusive use of the area and to satisfy mutual aid contracts. It may reduce the overall cost of the contract.

MembersZone Subscriber

Plus remember no matter what the village idiots do to upset the fire department, remember one thing, the residents in the village, township, city or community are or whatever you cover are going to be the ones who suffer if the fd doesn't respond.Take care and be safe.

MembersZone Subscriber

First of all, you have just cause to be upset as this affects overall morale and daily operations within the department. But I would ask some tough questions of your administration so that the justification is there.

1. Will the private service pay rent for use of the facilities? Most are required to do so.

2. Is the private service dedicated to your response area?

3. Will they be required to help clean the station? Most contracts state that they do not, at least in my area!

4. Will the private service kick back some of the billing revenues or will they simply keep the profits for themselves?

5. Did administration consider billing revenues if they remained fire-based EMS?

6. Most importantly....WILL QUALITY SERVICE REMAIN OR BE IMPROVED by going to a private service?

I do not wish this upon any fire department. My department runs alot of EMS and a private service reaps the rewards while providing substandard service.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tnff320 View Post
    Well to make matters worse the service they plan to contract out is RU RU!! The only calls we get are medical so really there is no need for us except for the 3 or 4 structures we get a year. It all just hurts....

OK, I give up. What is RU RU? Random Urinary? Rotationally Unbelievable? Rotary Unclear? Risky Uterus? Risky Ultimatum? I am out of ideas.

Default Kinda Bias

Im a little bias in this situation, on one hand I am gainfully employed by one of those private EMS agencied providing care to a municipality. We serve a township of 101 square miles in central jersey with a population of about 46,000 people. We run out of three Paid/Volunteer fire houses. Its kind of silly but if you dial 911 in this town you get our ambulance and the paid engine. On the other hand I am also a volunteer smoke eater in my town and if they pulled something like this there would be smoke coming out of our ears. I think the most important thing here is to remember this is the politicians not the towns folk. Just keep providing quality, effeciant service and it will work out in the end. Stay safe.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Roch207 View Post
    OK, I give up. What is RU RU? Random Urinary? Rotationally Unbelievable? Rotary Unclear? Risky Uterus? Risky Ultimatum? I am out of ideas.

RU RU = Rural Metro
    Knowledge is the difference between KNOWING and GUESSING

"You guys are good, but you'll never invent anything-it's all been done before."

FF/EMT-IV (medic in training)

Forum Member

Default Still volunteer but

I would say still be a volunteer regardless of what the local political idiots do. As for renovating the fire station for the outside service, you can do one of several things.

1. Charge the outside service for the renovation and space.

2. Tell the village idiots that if they want the outside company to have a space at the station then the village idiots pay for it including rent. Afterall its your station not theirs.

Not sure what has happened since you originally posted this but I would like to find out.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs down

Oh... I'd renovate alright... and give them a nice place! I might even screw the drywall into the studs- but probably not.

Bringing in the contractor isn't a big deal, like many have said. After all, bottom line is getting effective care out to the people who need it. Is this to say the contract medical is going to do better than you could? I don't know, so I can't say... but that's not really the issue I take offense to.

The renovating thing? Wow. Suffice to say I'd probably go into the station every day with a screwdriver and take out one screw per day until they gave the job back.
    Ian "Eno" McLeod
    Senior Firefighter /EMT-A, A Shift
    HESD / OFD
    "To me, the charm of an encyclopedia is that it knows and I needn't."

Forum Member

Wow! What a shocker. The village idiots hve once agian changed their minds. Now they have decided against both ideas. They flip flopp every other day.
    FF/Paramedic

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by XRaysJL View Post
    It's hard to believe any one would do that but yeah, I think that's pretty low. Then on top of they want you to work for their benefit for free?...........that makes it even worse.
    Not to be a dick or anything, but aren't you already doing that as a volunteer firefighter?

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs down

I don't remember signing on to renovate a station while they outsource the work they were going to let me do full time to another agency.

I get your point, but this takes it to another level. This is the same as that two-hatting thing, only almost reverse engineered. They're going to give a volley a full time job, and then give it to an outside profit based organization instead.

OUCH
    Ian "Eno" McLeod
    Senior Firefighter /EMT-A, A Shift
    HESD / OFD
    "To me, the charm of an encyclopedia is that it knows and I needn't."

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by TNFF319 View Post
    Wow! What a shocker. The village idiots hve once agian changed their minds. Now they have decided against both ideas. They flip flopp every other day.
    The best way not to get hired if something changes is to call the bosses village idiots when your profile says where youre from. Right?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eno821302 View Post
    I don't remember signing on to renovate a station while they outsource the work they were going to let me do full time to another agency.

I get your point, but this takes it to another level. This is the same as that two-hatting thing, only almost reverse engineered. They're going to give a volley a full time job, and then give it to an outside profit based organization instead.

OUCH
    I agree that it sucks, but don't think it's the same as the two-hat thing in reverse. What happened to you was that they basically decided to hire somebody else. Positions weren't lost, they just hired somebody else to fill them.

Thread Information