Question Marine Firefighting

Alright, I'v been planning to go to the Marines after highschool. While researching stuff on the Marines I found out you can come a firefighter in the Marines. Im a junior firefighter and I plan on becoming a paid fire firefighter when I get older. Sence I want to go to the Marines and want to be a firefighter, I decided to become a firefighter in the Marines.

But I cant seem to find anymore information about the fire service in the Marines.

Can anyone help me out to point me in the right direction?

Forum Member

I believe that military Marines only do aircraft and flightline firefighting, any and all structural firefighting is performed by civilian firefighters, employed by the Marine Corps.

Fry,
    I would suggest looking through this forum, besure to have the settings at the bottom of the page show all forums not just the latest ones, there is plenty of postings on the subject. Also try pming gunnyv he is an avid poster in the military forum and a Marine Reservist. I am a Marine Veteran, enlisted AE option (includes firefighters) and ended up Aviation Ordnance. If you want to be a Marine go for it, theres no finer service.

MembersZone Subscriber

I was Crash crew at New River Air station N.C, i had a great time there. Like stated above, all they do is aircraft rescue, at some bases like yuma they do mutual aid with the civilian side and get to do some structual firefighting, but it isnt much. At the school house you will get all your certs regardless of what branch your going to. It a fun MOS but it its nothing like being in a real fire dept, however you do learn alot and you can meet some unforgetable friends.

Talking thanks

thanks everyone ill do what you said

Forum Member

If you're looking to go more the 'traditional' fire role, Id look at the air force. They have a much more standard fire department setup. Just as slow as a Marine base, and being in the air force won't let you pick up on high school girls as easily.. but it definitely has the feel of working for a small town fire department ie: lots of medical runs, lots of false alarms, few fires, lots of inspections.
    -pete

Forum Member

Since I'm sick of writing the same info over and over, yet still want to help where I can, here's a link to a thread I posted many of my replies on.

http://forums.firehouse.com/showthre...highlight=7051

Good luck

Thread Information