Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Academy training

is thier a set standered to how long you have to be in a actual academy ? I was just looking at some different place and started to wonder why some places have as little as 12 or 8 weeks and other have double. whats the reason ? i know thiers nothing like on the job training but. with only 8 -12 weeks in some place would a probie be able to do his job right ?

The key word there is "probie". After the Academy, a probie should have some basic knowledge on how to function as a firefighter. But, I can guarantee you that you will be "extra man" for awhile until you officer learns to trust you. Also, on your first fires you will most likely just be clinging to your officer for dear life while you hump hose.

As for your other question, Academies vary in length with the main reason of how much EMS is taught. If the recruits are already EMT's, a few days will be spent on specific department protocols. If not, and they need an EMT class, that's where you see the 14-18 week Academies. But, I also know of other departments that have 10-16 week Academies with nothing but fire training.

Are you looking for a community college type Academy?
    Probationary Firefighter

FF/EMT-B
    Paramedic in training..

Forum Member

no just a general question. i'm not a probie or in a academy. i live in jersey and its a cival service so its strictly by the book . but was wondering why we had only 8 or 12 weeks when i had read that other dept had way more.

MembersZone Subscriber

Alms has it right. I know some dept.s that only have a week for HR stuff and a few rules and regs. The rest is OTJ with a mentor. My first dept had a 4 week academy, but I hear they are doing 8 now. My current dept runs a 14 week academy. We operate an EMS transport division as well, so the new guys have to not only learn how to work off a supression rig, but an ambulance as well. Some places with a 6 week academy may be more intense than a place with a 10 week. It just comes down to what your individual dept. sets as a standard.

Forum Member

Wouldn't that be dictated by state?

MembersZone Subscriber

I don't know of any mid west states(KS,MO,IA,CO,AR, etc..) that dictate how much training you have to have. I know Texas and Florida have state stds.

In Missouri all Academies have state tests for FF1/FF2, and the state provides power point presentations, books, etc. So, that keeps stuff standard. At least in Missouri..
    Probationary Firefighter

FF/EMT-B
    Paramedic in training..

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ehs7554 View Post
    I don't know of any mid west states(KS,MO,IA,CO,AR, etc..) that dictate how much training you have to have. I know Texas and Florida have state stds.
    Iowa has minimum training standards that go into effect in 2010. Each department has a wide variety. Some of the variables are whether you are trained to FFI or FFII as well as level of EMS (EMT-B, EMT-P, ETC). Some do HAZMAT tech and 40 hr confined space right off the bat as well.

Berkeley Township, New Jersey, United States

No one person can tell you that. You have to find out your own state's requirements. For example, in New Jersey, it's up to 180 hours of training and education and to be able to pass the written and hands on exams to be a Certified NJ Firefighter.
    Pinewald Pioneer Vol. Fire Co. No. 1 Sta. 20
    "Piney Power"

Berkeley Emergency Response Team (B.E.R.T./Haz-Mat/WMD/CBRNE) Station 85
    Berkeley Township, New Jersey 08721

MembersZone Subscriber

Last edited by ehs7554; 01-27-2012 at 09:52 AM.

Thread Information