Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ben 2 helmets

Default ben 2 helmets

My volly dept is wanting to go to the ben 2 helmets and was wanting to know more about them?? We are now wearing 1010's if any one can help.

Thanks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firefighter8054 View Post
    My volly dept is wanting to go to the ben 2 helmets and was wanting to know more about them?? We are now wearing 1010's if any one can help.

Thanks

I work for another MFG. but I would suggest getting samples and passing them around and see what everybody thinks salesmen can tell you what you want to hear but you and your department should be your own judges I am sure one of their sales people would send you some samples

Forum Member

Asking a fire forum about a certain type of fire helmet is like trying to herd cats. Lots of action with nothing to show for it.

You'll have some people who love the Ben II and some people who think it's a hunk of crap compared to a Cairns. You'll have the always present "Leather Forever" posts, and posts supporting tactical tupperwear. You'll have a couple of our European friends tell us we are missing the boat by not wearing the fighter pilot euro style helmets.

My personal experience is I love my Ben II, and very shortly I am going to order a new one. One of the guys at my station ordered one when I ordered mine, exact same helmet excep for the color and hated it. Sold it on Ebay and used the proceeds to buy a Cairns 1010 and hasn't looked back.

My suggestion is to get a couple and have your folks try them out to see if they like them.

MembersZone Subscriber cdemarse's Avatar

I worn a ben II before my leather lids and hated it. I would dig into my temples. And just didnt fit right in general. There are better Tupperware lids out there IMO.

If I had to stop wearing my 5A I would be wearing a Cairns 880
    "Train as if your life depends on it"
    Always Remember *343*

Forum Member

I have a cairns 1010 while several others at work have the ben II. From what we've seen, the cairns seem to have a lower profile and a little more adjustibility then the Ben II, although we haven't had any complaints with either helmet

My department uses Ben II...they suck! Cairns all the way!!!!

Gone.

I used a Ben II for about 2 months and thought it was a pretty good helmet, but it rode high on the head and made my temples sore and after awhile I started to gain a general dislike of it and I ended up selling it, and went back to my Cairns 1010. So far, my 1010 is my favorite helmet.

As I have said on here before we wear the Ben II and my buddy from another dept has a cairns 1010 I think I don't remember. I like the way it fit and was more comfortable then the Ben II. So when we get new helmets again we will not be getting the bens.

Also the eagle they have on them gets caught in stuff. I will see if I can find the articles about that. I think there is one on www.firefighterclosecalls.com somewhere about it.

As stated go get some samples and compare.

Waynesboro, VA, possibly relocating to Virginia Beach in the near future!

Stick with the 1010. As stated before, the Ben II has had some issues with the solid eagle snagging on things. It also rides way too high and feels unbalanced.
    These are my opinions, not those of my career department, my volunteer company, or my affiliates. And by the way, I'm not a Junior.

Buy me a drink, sing me a song, take me as I come 'cause I can't stay long.

Johnny Greene: 2/3/45-5/2/04
    Forever in our hearts

I beg to differ.......I have a Benny II and love it. To me, it's as comfortable as a baseball cap. Opinions vary....

do what was mentioned before, do some research and get samples to try. Check with your neighbors with what they like/dislike.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

Default ben II

A"cool looking" traditional style helmet. Other than that they are a bowling ball with a tow hook glued to the front.

Alan

Smile DOES it Matter

I personally wear a Ben II plus. For several years I sold fire equipment. We were a Cairns and Bro dealer as well as Chieftain. The 1010 and 880 are fine helmets. This is yet another of the ongoing Ford / Chevrolet arguements. There's not $5 worth of difference in either it's just what you feel better putting on your melon.

And I wear Ben II not because I just have to have it. It was a birthday present from my ex-wife while she was still my wife.

Thread Information