Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Talking New York State Rural Fire Assistance Grant

This one is about a ten minute application!!!!

http://www.dec.ny.gov/regulations/2510.html

Dear Chief:

Enclosed is an application (PDF, 20 Kb) for the Volunteer Fire Assistance program for fiscal year 2008. New York anticipates receiving an appropriation of more than $300,000 for this federal fiscal year. From this appropriation, fire departments in approximately 300 rural communities will receive 50/50 matching funds, up to the amount of their grant award, for the purchase of firefighting equipment. As an example, a fire department awarded a $1000 grant would need to expend $2000 on their project to receive the $1000 grant award.

Eligibility requirements have been changed. Fire departments in towns with populations of 10,000 or more may be eligible if they meet the eligibility requirements listed on the application. Please read these requirements carefully.

Only expenses directly related to fire suppression are eligible for funding. These include purchasing portable pumps, portable backpack pumps, hand tools, hose, light-weight fireproof clothing (Nomex), hard hats, turnout gear, personal protective equipment, portable radios, generators and dry hydrants. Expenditures not directly related to firefighting, such as acquisition of land, construction of buildings and facilities, major apparatus purchases and maintenance items are not eligible for funding.

I would suggest that you plan on projects costing $2,000 - $3,000 that can be completed by October 30, 2008. Any project involving lengthy waiting periods for receipt of goods and completion of paperwork should be avoided. Approved grant projects should be completely finished with all receipts and paperwork received in this office by October 30, 2008.

Training for rural firefighters is provided for under a cooperative agreement with the Office of Fire Prevention and Control in the Department of State and jointly funded with federal and state dollars.

A fire department's success or failure in receiving a grant is based on a point system with points received for:

Population (ex: less than 1,000 = 10 points; 1,000-2,000 = 9 points, and so on)
    I.S.O. rating (ex: rating of 9 = 10 points; 5/9 = 5 points; 8 or less = 1 point)
    Newly organized department = 10 points
    Native American Indian community in protection area = 10 points
    Points will be deducted on a pro- rated basis from the total of these four factors if a grant was awarded to the fire department within the last five years.

Again this year, a point for use in future years will be added each year the applicant submits an application and does not receive a grant award. This may aid companies who in the past have not received a grant.

Only one application per local jurisdiction will be considered.

This office must receive all applications on or before May 15, 2008. Any application received after the cut off date will automatically be rejected.

To be sure your grant application will not be rejected and is complete, please check the following:

Be sure to fill out all three pages of the application and be sure that it is signed.
    Be sure that the name and phone number of a contact person whom we may easily reach between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. weekdays is supplied for us to obtain additional information if necessary.
    Be sure the application is submitted in time to reach this office on or before May 15, 2008.
    Last year more than 609 volunteer fire companies requested funding to purchase such equipment. New York was able to fund 365 of those requests with $1000 grants.

Sincerely,
    Thomas Rinaldi, Director
    Forest Protection & Fire Management

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

Thank you, we just recieved our application on thursday.

Forum Member

This is an easy one to get! You are virtually guarenteed getting it every OTHER year, with some departments qualifying for every year. five years ago they funded us for two dry-hydrant installations, two-years ago a Blitz-fire monitor (rural structural protection for wildland interface challenges was the reason), and last year 6 new indian tanks and some hand tools.

In what you know to be your "off year" it's best to put in a "place-holder" application for them to deny, so that the NEXT year you are on the list of recent denials.

BTW - I know Colonel Rinaldi from my FT work, and he and his staff are easy folks to talk to if you have any questions.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."

George S. Patton

MembersZone Subscriber

I was curious if there is any word on the rural fire grant.

MembersZone Subscriber lfdmichael's Avatar

Thumbs up nysdec awards

Awards are out, I heard of 4 last week. I believe they come by mail. Congrats to all on some 1/2 price equipment.

MembersZone Subscriber

Red face Check the mail

Yes, they are out, and so are the Rejection Letters. It came by mail. We get one of these every other year so no big surprise this year.

Forum Member

Smile

Amenia in Dutchess Co is a winner this year. You should have an award letter by now.

MembersZone Subscriber

Got mine last week. first time I put in for it, got $1000.00 to match with our funds.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

Thanks, found out last night that we were awarded 1000 dollars to match. The comm. was holding out on me, did not let anyone know until the meeting!

Quote Originally Posted by amenia313 View Post
    Thanks, found out last night that we were awarded 1000 dollars to match. The comm. was holding out on me, did not let anyone know until the meeting!

Whatcha gittin?
    FTM - BTB - KTF

Forum Member

We got our "placeholder" denial, as expected. We seem to hit this grant every other year, so next year we'll put more effort into the application. Congrats to the recipients!!!!
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."

George S. Patton

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Got ours about a week ago (at least thats when the treasurer let me know...) Put in for some basic rope rescue equipment and got the nod for $1000 matching. We're gonna get enough to put 4 people over the side if we need to.

Forum Member

We got ours - had to actually sit out two years (lucky us). Going to get some indian pumps and wildland boots. Also got a US DOI grant for more wildland PPE. It was good news after learning we are losing our State Senator who has been very generous with member items.

Win some, Lose some

Thread Information