MembersZone Subscriber

Default How to get on a arson squad?

How is everyone doing?Any help would be appreciated.I live in Union County New Jersey and was wondering if anyone knew how to get involved.I've always been interested in it and could never find were they teach the arson class to get your certification. Thanks for your help.

MembersZone Subscriber

It is difficult if not impossible to get on the Union County Arson Task Froce unless you have been trained as an investigator. You need to get ALOT of training and ALOT of fire investigations under your belt before you even think about it.

Check out these links for training resources.

www.firearson.com
    www.njiaai.org
    www.cfitrainer.net
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

MembersZone Subscriber

so where can you get the beginning experience to be able to have that "ALOT of investigations" to be able to join the squad. I am asking because i am in the same situation in Bergen and also trying to get into a career as a fire/arson investigator, either in NJ, VA, NC, or VT.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by yoohooman480 View Post
    so where can you get the beginning experience to be able to have that "ALOT of investigations" to be able to join the squad. I am asking because i am in the same situation in Bergen and also trying to get into a career as a fire/arson investigator, either in NJ, VA, NC, or VT.
    If you think that becoming a career FF is hard, you ought to try breaking in as an investigator.

At least VA is a Pro Qual Board state. You will have to certify to the NFPA 1033 standard to be able to conduct fire investigations down there.

You are somewhat fortunate in Bergen, as the Arson Task Force includes members of volunteer FD's. I recommend before you even think about fire investigation, you complete some basic fire investigation courses.

Private companies are even more difficult. They do not have the time or resources to train you. They are looking, for the most part, for experienced investigators who can hit the ground running and can qualify to testify in court as an expert witness.

Here are some links.

www.njiaai.org
    www.firearson.com

You might also try Bergen County Community College or the Public Safety Training Center.

You can also try the NFA. Their application period is open now. (As a tip, when you fill out the NFA application, make sure that you state that you are taking the class in order to come back and provide training to your FD).

For online training, try this site.

www.cfitrainer.net

This is a totally free site sponsored by the IAAI.

Good luck.
    Last edited by GeorgeWendtCFI; 05-07-2008 at 08:40 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Arson Task Force

Storm. I am the assistant Coordinator for the Union County Arson Task Force and in our SOP it states you need to be a member of a police department, fire department of state or federal Police department for 5 years min to join. You also need a letter from your chief stating the department your with will support you. You also need some type of investigation experience or schooling. We require all members to have either the Attorney Generals 3 week course or the IAAI 80 hr course. I also am trying to get all my members CFEI Certified by NAFI. They have a great course thatís available. But I echo Georgeís comments you are not going any were in life with out a education. Also if you are serious about getting on a department you need to apply for jobs in all states. A good site is emsfirerescuejobs.com. Feel free to reach me at arsonguy@verizon.net if you need assistance.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by arsonguy65 View Post
    Storm. I am the assistant Coordinator for the Union County Arson Task Force and in our SOP it states you need to be a member of a police department, fire department of state or federal Police department for 5 years min to join. You also need a letter from your chief stating the department your with will support you. You also need some type of investigation experience or schooling. We require all members to have either the Attorney Generals 3 week course or the IAAI 80 hr course. I also am trying to get all my members CFEI Certified by NAFI. They have a great course thatís available. But I echo Georgeís comments you are not going any were in life with out a education. Also if you are serious about getting on a department you need to apply for jobs in all states. A good site is emsfirerescuejobs.com. Feel free to reach me at arsonguy@verizon.net if you need assistance.
    Just for clarity, the 80 hr. course is sponsored by the IAAI NJ Chapter. The IAAI does not sponsor a Basic Fire Investigation class.

MembersZone Subscriber

deleted by yoohooman480
    Last edited by yoohooman480; 06-11-2008 at 11:55 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by arsonguy65 View Post
    Hey Arsonguy. Is there a reason that you don't try to get your guys certified through the IAAI? Just curious...

Piney Power
    Berkeley Township, New Jersey, United States

Does the same apply to Ocean County considering we are basically 100% volunteer fire companies (I think)? I was going to go to Ocean County College for Fire Science and get into Arson, but I want to be able to do something that's worth all of the education and training. I spoke to one of the Arson Investigators for our county and all he really said was go to college for Fire Science and Arson Investigation. He's on the Ocean County Arson Task Force.
    Pinewald Pioneer Vol. Fire Co. No. 1 Sta. 20
    "Piney Power"

Berkeley Emergency Response Team (B.E.R.T./Haz-Mat/WMD/CBRNE) Station 85
    Berkeley Township, New Jersey 08721

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by PineyPower View Post
    Does the same apply to Ocean County considering we are basically 100% volunteer fire companies (I think)? I was going to go to Ocean County College for Fire Science and get into Arson, but I want to be able to do something that's worth all of the education and training. I spoke to one of the Arson Investigators for our county and all he really said was go to college for Fire Science and Arson Investigation. He's on the Ocean County Arson Task Force.
    To my knowledge, the two entities that investigate fires in Ocean County are the Ocean County Fire Marshal's Office, a division of fhe Ocean County Sheriff's Office and the Ocean County Prosecutor's Office Arson Task Force. Both of these agencies consist of f/t employees. The OCFMO investigates most of the fires. The OCPO has a protocol for when they are to be notified. The two agencies generally work together on major cases, arsons, fatal fires and things of that nature.

I am unaware of any volunteer group in Ocean County devoted to fire investigation.

Piney Power

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    To my knowledge, the two entities that investigate fires in Ocean County are the Ocean County Fire Marshal's Office, a division of fhe Ocean County Sheriff's Office and the Ocean County Prosecutor's Office Arson Task Force. Both of these agencies consist of f/t employees. The OCFMO investigates most of the fires. The OCPO has a protocol for when they are to be notified. The two agencies generally work together on major cases, arsons, fatal fires and things of that nature.

I am unaware of any volunteer group in Ocean County devoted to fire investigation.
    Yeah, thanks. I meant most of OC's fire departments are volunteer if not all of them. I wasn't referring to the investigative agencies. Arson is one of the majors/careers I want to look into so I'm trying to weigh my options for each major/career I like.
    "Piney Power"

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by PineyPower View Post
    Yeah, thanks. I meant most of OC's fire departments are volunteer if not all of them. I wasn't referring to the investigative agencies. Arson is one of the majors/careers I want to look into so I'm trying to weigh my options for each major/career I like.
    In that case, try this for starters.

1. A degree will seperate you from the rest. There are a number of degree programs in NJ. There are also a number of online degree programs. I have no idea how old you are or what your current situation is, so it is hard ot say what is best. But, if you are not tied down, I would travel to a good college with a fire science degree program or a fire investigation degree program. The University of New Haven http://www.newhaven.edu/5896/ has a fire investigation concentration.

If you have any math aptitude, the smart decision for a degree program will be Fire Protection Engineering. You won't learn how to fight fire, but you will learn what fire is, why it does what it does and how to protect life and property from it. Lots of career opportunities for a very good salary.

2. Join fire investigation-related organizations such as the IAAI or NAFI. They will help you keep abreast of developments in the field, provide you with training opportunities and provide you with networking opportunities. Also join the NJ State Chapter of the IAAI www.njiaai.org.

3. Check out the courses on www.cfitrainer.net. They are modular online training classes in fire investigation topics. They are free. Complete as many of them as possible for a solid foundation.

4. As soon as you are able (it will be awhile) get your National Certification from either IAAI or NAFI. Certifications seperate the men from the boys in this field.

This is a start. Good luck.

Piney Power

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    In that case, try this for starters.

1. A degree will seperate you from the rest. There are a number of degree programs in NJ. There are also a number of online degree programs. I have no idea how old you are or what your current situation is, so it is hard ot say what is best. But, if you are not tied down, I would travel to a good college with a fire science degree program or a fire investigation degree program. The University of New Haven http://www.newhaven.edu/5896/ has a fire investigation concentration.

If you have any math aptitude, the smart decision for a degree program will be Fire Protection Engineering. You won't learn how to fight fire, but you will learn what fire is, why it does what it does and how to protect life and property from it. Lots of career opportunities for a very good salary.

2. Join fire investigation-related organizations such as the IAAI or NAFI. They will help you keep abreast of developments in the field, provide you with training opportunities and provide you with networking opportunities. Also join the NJ State Chapter of the IAAI www.njiaai.org.

3. Check out the courses on www.cfitrainer.net. They are modular online training classes in fire investigation topics. They are free. Complete as many of them as possible for a solid foundation.

4. As soon as you are able (it will be awhile) get your National Certification from either IAAI or NAFI. Certifications seperate the men from the boys in this field.

This is a start. Good luck.
    Wow, thanks a lot. I will definitely take a look into all of this and see what happens from there. Thanks again.
    "Piney Power"

Thread Information