Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cab Width

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Cab Width

What is the maximum cab width on a Pierce Engine ? Isn't there a maximum width for all manufacturers ?
    Mark

Default cab width

Hello there

Saber, Arrow XT 96" plus the mirrors

Impel, Velocity 100" plus the mirrors

Quantum 96" plus the mirrors

Enforcer, Dash and Lance were 96" plus the mirrors

Forum Member

The Federal Highway Administration has a cab width limitation of 102 inches for vehicles that operate on highways. Mirrors, hand rails, etc are not included in the calculation of width. I have not seen a fire apparatus cab spec that is over 100".

Forum Member

Be careful you need to read the internal measurements. Not all cabs are created equal. Most 100" wide cabs have less crew area than some 96" wide cabs.

With that said all 96" wide cabs are not equal either, most are much smaller inside than you would think.

You really need to read the specs. FYI be sure to check your door opening side to side you will find if you have an older station this is also a restriction.

Forum Member

The feds have a maximum vehicle width of 102". Some states have a maximum width of 96".

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Cab Width

Just a reminder:
    It's my understanding that the custom chassis builders had to go wider on the cabs due to the 2007 emission engines getting wider around the turbo and exhaust systems. They needed to go wider just to maintain the interior space that was in the preveious 96" wide cabs!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by donethat View Post
    Just a reminder:
    It's my understanding that the custom chassis builders had to go wider on the cabs due to the 2007 emission engines getting wider around the turbo and exhaust systems. They needed to go wider just to maintain the interior space that was in the preveious 96" wide cabs!
    This is what we found as well. You need to look at what you want/need. We wanted the most "cockpit" space for the driver and officer, so the measurements between the doghouse and the door were most critical. Usually this is worse for the officer who is also packing up. Between his/her/my fat *****, the gear and the SCBA straps it can be a bitch to connect the seatbelt.

Quote Originally Posted by donethat View Post
    Just a reminder:
    Depends on what builder. If you look at everyone's chassis, some still managed to keep interior space decent while staying in 94" and 96" wide cabs. Not only is the space between the dog house and the cab doors a premium, but you'd be surprised how much more room is between the dog house and rear cab wall in one builder's medium four door compared to another's. In some cases one's medium four door has more space than another's longer cab... I won't name names, but not all cabs are created equal when it comes to interior space.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Thread Information