MembersZone Subscriber

Question Pre-Fire Plans Help

I just started with a new, smaller department and we have a limited amount of commercial occupancies in the district, but of significance still. We have a lot of children's occupancies (i.e. schools, camps, large lake, etc.) and the pre-fire site plans that exist are very old and have been copied over and over so that you cannot read anything on them and were all hand drawn. At my previous department we had very nice computer drawings and information sheets of every commercial occupancy. I inquired to the firefighter in charge of doing all of that with my old department and he told me that Microsoft Visio was used after importing CAD drawings. I also have seen/heard of an add-on for Visio called FireLine Pre-Fire Plan and Map Graphics Package for Microsoft Visio (http://www.brgproducts.com/page5.html). These are very spendy products and am trying to do some preliminary research and get opinions before I bring this product to the attention of my department's administrators. Any comments or other ideas are GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks a lot!

Forum Member

Check out this company they are in your back yard.

http://www.cadzone.com/Fire_Zone/Fire_Zone.htm
    Fire Sprinklers Save Firefighters’ Lives Too!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Preplan

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterMV View Post
    I just started with a new, smaller department and we have a limited amount of commercial occupancies in the district, but of significance still. We have a lot of children's occupancies (i.e. schools, camps, large lake, etc.) and the pre-fire site plans that exist are very old and have been copied over and over so that you cannot read anything on them and were all hand drawn.
    Speaking only of the facility I work at: We had no facility drawings in electronic format, and like yours were full of handwritten notes, I had the drawings scanned & cleaned up. Cost per sheet was ~100.00.

I sent copies in DXF format to the local FD. I also had copies printed on waterproof paper ready to hand over to the incident commander when he arrives on site.

The same information is being used to populate the room number E911 database in our RedSky box that is attached to the PBX.

For less then $1000.00, we resolved multiple issues (Preplan, Incident Command, E911, and facilities managament).

You may want to have the property owners address the lack of documentation at their expense. It's really a cheap fix.

Forum Member

Default Pre-Fire Plans

I know your looking for a pre-plan system, we use a pre-plan system that feeds off our fire inspection system. The vendor is call Emergency Software Products. We have been using their software for the past 16 years, the software works, it takes all the property information, emergency contact, building, sprinkler, utilitties, etc. The pre-plan side of the software feeds the infromation to the FD in a read only format along with any floor plan, digital photo.

www.emergencysoftware.com

If you would like any more information, please feel free to contact me at wsmith@fairfieldnj.org

William Smith
    Fire Marshal

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Pre Plans

Check out www.CommandScope.com . Easy to use program will allow you to add any drawings you already have (including Visio) just as you would add an attachment to an email. Also, it auto syncs with every computer (even mutual aid). Great form with touch access to all docs needed.

Forum Member

Default real help

Are you required to perform and document them? Are they used or is it just for ISO points? How do you store them. Describe the type of incident and how helpful the pre-fire plan was in the out come of the operation.your post is really helpful in this regard.
    Last edited by mariaakerry; 11-12-2010 at 07:33 AM.

Forum Member

I think Command Scope might be a good look also. I've never used it myself for any pre fire prevention plans or anything like that, but a fireproofing nyc company that I do business with refers to that website a lot. Not really sure what for, but I do know that it's worth checking out considering what you're looking to do.

MembersZone Subscriber

Question preplan maps

I'm in the same boat, and we don't have the horsepower to create preplan maps. We can barely get engine company inspections completed. So while autocad and turbo cad and visio are all options for departments with the staffing to facilitate it, we just wouldn't be able to get to sitting down and entering it all into a cad program.

I understand there are firms that will come to a small district and create pre plan maps of every commercial occupancy. Does anyone know of such a creature and how I could contact them? Thanks, Mike G, Cambria FD

MembersZone Subscriber

CommandScope now has clients in over 20 States and Canada (ranging from small volunteer departments to counties) and is really setting a Pre Plan standard since achieving NIMS accreditation by FEMA.

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

Is your chief registered on the ISO website? There is a section there for commercial buildings. There isn't maps or drawings but there is some useful information there.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Forum Member

We use them as well and haven't had any problems. Very user friendly from what the guys who use it say.
    Good on you for taking on a project like this.

Quote Originally Posted by InsuranceLCRep View Post
    Check out this company they are in your back yard.

http://www.cadzone.com/Fire_Zone/Fire_Zone.htm
    Motivation is something that you bring to work in your lunch box. - Skip Kirkwood, Wake county NC EMS director

Thread Information