Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By DeputyChiefGonzo
  • 1 Post By DeputyChiefGonzo

Thread: ICS Vests

Forum Member

Question ICS Vests

I am looking into purchasing a new set of ICS vests for my department - does anyone know if there is a standard for what color vest goes with each title ??

I have looked around my own County and everyone seems a little different with the exception that most everyone uses white for the IC and blue for Safety. I also am going to purchase Water Supply, Operations Officer, Accountability, Staging Officer, EMS Officer, and RIT Officer and I am presently undetermined what color to get each vest.

Let me know if you know of any standards that are out there.

Thanks.

Forum Member

Just remember.. the fire will not go "on hold" until you fill out the vests.
    johnsb likes this.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Ours are all orange and have the position name (Command, Safety, etc) on them. Do you have FFs who can't read? What about the colorblind?

Forum Member

What did we do before all of the "gotta waer the vest to find out who's who on the fireground" came out?

Oh, yeah, I remember.. put the fracking fire out!

My FD has the vests... and I only saw one of them used once... and the only one issued the one I was told to wear, as the Chief assigned me the rile of PIO and wanted to keep the media off his butt so he could handle the incident!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by boog8591 View Post
    I am looking into purchasing a new set of ICS vests for my department - does anyone know if there is a standard for what color vest goes with each title ??

I have looked around my own County and everyone seems a little different with the exception that most everyone uses white for the IC and blue for Safety. I also am going to purchase Water Supply, Operations Officer, Accountability, Staging Officer, EMS Officer, and RIT Officer and I am presently undetermined what color to get each vest.

Let me know if you know of any standards that are out there.

Thanks.
    Write to FEMA and ask for the NIMS Command ID coding Handbook. They're free so long as you provide proof of employment with your department and your TAX ID.

IACOJ BOD

Two main vests will be worn on a fireground here before it goes to a large scale job.

Red with OIC as in "Oh, I see now".

White is ECO Eco Control Officer a FF or Occifer (depending on incident size) who is in charge of the ECO Board controlling FF's in BA locations and time in etc.

I would think that if you are looking for "standards" then asking those stations around you what the heck they wear would be the logical starting point as opposed to doing things different to everyone else.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    What did we do before all of the "gotta waer the vest to find out who's who on the fireground" came out?

Confusion...chaos...inefficiency...

And if you've ever been involved in even a 2+ alarm fire with mutual aid units coming in wanting to know who is who and where everyone is located it might make a little sense. As I always say...don't knock down dumb ideas because RIT teams were a dumb idea many years ago and a waste of resources...basically don't knock your brothers and sisters that are making an effort to do the smallest things to make our jobs just a little safer and more efficient for the PUBLIC we serve. If you use the vests or any piece of equipment once and someone gets benefit, then it is worth it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterMV View Post

And if you've ever been involved in even a 2+ alarm fire with mutual aid units coming in wanting to know who is who and where everyone is located it might make a little sense. As I always say...don't knock down dumb ideas because RIT teams were a dumb idea many years ago and a waste of resources...basically don't knock your brothers and sisters that are making an effort to do the smallest things to make our jobs just a little safer and more efficient for the PUBLIC we serve. If you use the vests or any piece of equipment once and someone gets benefit, then it is worth it.
    This is new............................................... .

Wear a vest and the fire goes out, news at 11!
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterMV View Post

Let's get something straight: I am not knocking the brothers and sisters working the line. I was there myself (26 years worth) until January of 2007 when I got promoted to Deputy Chief.

My beef is with those who have forgotten the core mission of the job, who feel that wearing vests and setting up signs that sat "Warning! Fire Scene ahead" is more important than putting the dihydrogen monoxide on the rapid oxidation of fuel accompanied by heat, light and the byproducts of combustion.

In some communities.. you have confusion, chaos and inefficiency even with the vests. There are those communities who don't even begin mounting a fire attack until all of the vests have been filled.. yeah, that's what I call "serving the public we are sworn to protect...

We have had mutiple alarm fires, no vests and still put the fire out. It's called command control and communications. The officers of the mutual aid companies reports to the IC at the command post (you know, the collection of white lids in the front of the building) gets their assigments and get to work.

The miltary on the battleground doesn't put on vests to see who is in charge!
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 04-08-2008 at 07:37 AM.
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

True to form, every department does it different...use what works for your area & it's operations. A simple rule of thumb that some use is to try to match color to function such as Red as Operations (Red = Fire), Blue for Water Supply (Blue = water) & Lime/Yellow for Haz-mat (Lime 'cause that 's the color you glow at night when heading to bathroom ).

I know, I know...we can beat this concept to death...it's just something I've seen done.

Best best overall is to keep is simple (KISS)...at 3 AM, it doesn't matter what color you're wearing, just make sure the title is clear to all those bleery eyed FF's looking for assignments.

Just my 2 cents...Stay Safe.

Forum Member

Default Thanks

For those of you with constructive answers....thanks.

We run with alot of mutual aid departments and is not uncommon to have 6 to 8 different departments working at a structure fire. The need for the vests come from too many white helmets on the scene at any given time giving out conflicting orders in several cases. The vests will hopefully straighten some of the confusion.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Post Well...................

Quote Originally Posted by boog8591 View Post
    For those of you with constructive answers....thanks.

We run with alot of mutual aid departments and is not uncommon to have 6 to 8 different departments working at a structure fire. The need for the vests come from too many white helmets on the scene at any given time giving out conflicting orders in several cases. The vests will hopefully straighten some of the confusion.

This is a case of what works for you. We don't use vests much, but when things escalate, we make the transition easily. You seem to have a good list of sector officers positions, but the Colors don't really mean that much, at least the way we operate anyway. If your area has a Chief's Organization, then maybe they should establish the local standard for your area.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Back In Black

We have the command vests and in the years I was chief, I never used them.

I can see on a large incident with multiple agencies that it might come in handy... maybe....

I can't see myself putting on a vest at our bread and butter fires. Need to know who the IC is? Go to the command post. He's there.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

hmm, we operate mutual aid more times than we probably operate at our own fires, and the need for vests has not been an issue.

The need for the vests come from too many white helmets on the scene at any given time giving out conflicting orders in several cases. The vests will hopefully straighten some of the confusion.
    Sorry to say, but I highly doubt colored vests will have any effect at all on this situation. Sounds more like you need to get all these departments officers together and work out some procedures.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Vests are a good idea or identification but like Gonz says, don't just fill a vest for sake of filling a vest.

We use them as well, mainly the Safety Officer.....If it escalates into something bigger then we use them, especially if mutual aid is coming so they know who they are talking to.

My suggestion is to keep them all the same color. That way a vest means someone in charge of something. Avoid the colors too because someone from outside sees IC in a green vest and someone in a blue vest could be confusing.
    Hopefully there is some sort of Chief's organization from your county or area that could make a decision on uniformity. If you buy in bulk they can be cheaper too!
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

I found the problem. As with most firefighters, as a simple question and you can't get a simple answer. He just wants to know about vests. Good grief.

Forum Member

Good grief is right.. this thread is 5 years old!
    Chenzo likes this.
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post

Oh, yeah, I remember.. put the fracking fire out!

My FD has the vests... and I only saw one of them used once... and the only one issued the one I was told to wear, as the Chief assigned me the rile of PIO and wanted to keep the media off his butt so he could handle the incident!
    Vests are really good for doing Fill the boot for MDA.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post
    Good grief is right.. this thread is 5 years old!
    There is no statute of limitations for violations when the self-appointed forum police get involved!

Thread Information