Oxford Fire Department proudly protects 13000 people living in an area of 27 square miles. We operate out of 2 stations that protect a primarily residential area. Our department is a public department whose members are on a paid on call status.
We are a call fire department of 28 members, operating 4 engine companies, a truck company, 2 brush fire trucks and a LDH reel truck. All personnel are CPR/first responder trained, Haz Mat first responder trained and and least FFI trained. The all call department is managed by a 5 member Board of Fire Engineers (Chief Officers), 2 Captains and 5 Lieutenants. The department dates back to 1856 when the town voted to organize the Col. DeWitt Engine Company, and purchased a Jeffers hand pumper (still in our possesion). Our second station was organized in 1884 as the Huguenot Steamer No. 1 in North Oxford, with a Silsby #5 rotary steam engine (also still in our possesion). Both companies remain active today (but with very modern equipment...see Apparatus section of web page),