Godfrey Fire Protection District proudly protects 17000 people living in an area of 38 square miles. We operate out of 2 stations that protect a primarily residential area. Our department is a public department whose members are on a combination of paid and volunteer status.
The Village of Godfrey is located in west central Illinois with borders along the Mississippi River, the City of Alton, Village of Brighton, Foster Township, Elsah Township, Piasa Township and Mississippi Township. In 1940, a group of citizens organized the Godfrey Fire Protection Association. After three elections, in 1945 the Godfrey Fire Protection District was formed. The district was reorganized in 1951, at which time the first full time paid firefighter was hired. The district is staffed with 12 fulltime and 22 volunteer firefighters which respond to approximately 1000 calls annually.